All parent member reviews for Mary Poppins

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTomDarla October 12, 2009

Kids love the music, magic, and fun

Kids at a very young age will enjoy this magical classic. Our child loved watching this movie soon after he turned 4. He is sensitive to tense scenes and conflict, which are scarcely seen in this film, so we often chose this movie over so many others deemed acceptable for young ones.
Parent Written byannielight January 13, 2011

Enchanting for a 4-year old

My 4-year old has a great attention span, and so this movie (which is a bit long and can seem slow in places) worked well for him. He just delights in the songs and animation/live action sequences.
Adult Written bymoniwells January 12, 2009

Intense Scenes for Little One

Two scenes to be aware about: the kids get lost and then run into a "witch" and a dog baring its teeth and barking before they find Burt who doesn't look like Burt because he is covered in soot 2)The admiral and his man shoot at the chimney sweeps with his canon. Though they look like fireworks and no one gets hurt, they are still shooting at people. That's as far in the movie that we got because my 4 year old didn't "like that when they were shooting" and so we didn't watch the rest.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byhonigc November 22, 2010

Magical movie for grade schoolers

We let our 4.5 year old watch this in 20 minute installments over a few weeks. She's never watched a full length film and I have to admit, I turned it on more for me than her - I needed a Julie Andrews fix! It's a wonderful, magical movie. She enjoyed the singing and dancing, but the details of the storyline were a bit over her head. We stopped it every so often to explain what was going on (what's a chimney sweep? what's a fox hunt? why is the father in a bad mood? etc), but I think that children who are slightly older would not need this decoding.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bythelongstocking May 9, 2011

Perfect for all ages

LOve this! My 3 year old son has been watching this movie since a baby.. It was the ONLy one we introduced due to its magical, sing song, feel good, imagination building ways. My son now dances, with a cane and a hat like Bert, sings all the songs, and believes in magic.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written byjt7ou November 21, 2010

Step-in-Time Rocks!!!!

Love it!!! My 15 month old & 3 year old both love dancing to step-in-time!!! Our family's favorite movie!!!
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

A classic not to be missed!

This was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter (age 5) has been enjoying it for over 2 years now. The only parts that were kind of iffy as far as her being able to understand and not be scared was the scuffle in the bank and the kids running scared through the alleys before Burt finds them. Otherwise it's still the best!
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byExpatMom March 17, 2014

A classic for all ages!

Even our very sensitive little 3 year old loves this movie. If only they still made kids movies like this one!
Adult Written byJanelleam February 3, 2012

Great live action movie for 2 and up!

I think Common Sense Media missed the mark on rating this for 6 and up. After talking to some friends, I decided to try it with my kids, ages 2 and 4 and they both LOVED it. There are so few good live action movies available for kids of this age. My kids are very sensitive to harrowing situations and scary stuff and neither of them had any issues. My only notes were that the father prepares a pipe (which he never smokes) and death is mentioned. Just mentioned. Overall, great film for 2 and up!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhelenstars November 10, 2011

Classic

This is a great movie to help parents and kids alike the importance of being silly. On the first viewing, however, my 5 year old was confused at the stressful twist at the end where the father loses his job. It is redeemed with the kite-flying scene, but still it was a discussion for us. Love this movie!
Parent Written byDonutGIRL July 25, 2016

Mary Poppins

Family favorite in our house. Tied with Big Hero 6 and Frozen for best movie with our girls. The way Mr. Banks acts scared my 10yo when she first saw this (she was 4) but when she was around 5 and a half she started to like it.
Adult Written byMidnighthaze94 July 31, 2015

Boring and repetitive for adults, innocent and fun for kids

I personally find this movie loud, annoying and very dull, but I do think it's a great pick for kids. I think this would be a great first live action movie to introduce a child to. It's squeaky clean fun for kids with the story about a loving nanny who sings songs, takes the kids on adventures, and ultimately helps the family grow much closer, as in the beginning of the film the father is a serious, no nonsense, workaholic, and the mother is too busy with her woman's lib rally's.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byHook316 December 3, 2012

Great movie for young ones

My three year old and five year old love this movie. The songs are ALWAYS sung around our house. Very good and fun movie for the young ones.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byDogLover in DE November 11, 2011

Great movie with fun songs.

This is one of my daughter's favorite movies. She watches this every time we take a long car trip. She first saw it when she was 4.5, almost 5.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjfw731 November 14, 2010

Fun for my two year old

My two year old loves this movie. He loves the singing and dancing numbers, but also seems interested in the dialogue. I don't think there is anything scary or inappropriate in May Poppins. I love watching it with him.
Adult Written byigssmom April 9, 2008

A classic

My 3 year old daughter wants to watch this movie every day. She is learning a lot about empathy through watching the character development (i.e., the grumpy but loving father becomes a devoted family man.)
Adult Written byShawna G. August 9, 2016

My daughter's favorite movie.

Most Disney movies contain scary villains and other scenes that I didn't feel comfortable showing to my sensitive 2 (almost 3) yr old. This movie is magical and fun with hardly any scary scenes. My daughter requests this movie multiple times per week (we watch 30 or 40 mins at a time). She watches in awe and sings along with the songs. We definitely recommend it.
Parent of a 2, 10, and 12 year old Written byRuth Wilson November 29, 2015

Coolest Film EVER.

It may be frightening to kids under four, but MOST children will handle it perfectly. For children under 7, some scenes may be boring, but it is AWESOME. Innocent flirting between two adults, a man is married and I think he kisses his wife, but it's all innocent. No real violence. Good for kids.
Parent Written byWaldorf Mom July 5, 2012

A winner for fearful kids!

LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! My 5 year old (just turned 5) has watched this movie over 20 times. He can't get enough of it. My 8 year old will watch it and enjoy it as well. We do fast forward the scene at the bank and when the children are running away from the bank and turn it back again when they find Bert. My 5 year old is VERY fearful and thus we have needed to be incredibly careful in picking our movies. This is one of the few winners! The whole family sings the songs even when the movie isn't playing.