All parent member reviews for Mary Poppins

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTomDarla October 12, 2009

Kids love the music, magic, and fun

Kids at a very young age will enjoy this magical classic. Our child loved watching this movie soon after he turned 4. He is sensitive to tense scenes and conflict, which are scarcely seen in this film, so we often chose this movie over so many others deemed acceptable for young ones.
Parent Written byannielight January 13, 2011

Enchanting for a 4-year old

My 4-year old has a great attention span, and so this movie (which is a bit long and can seem slow in places) worked well for him. He just delights in the songs and animation/live action sequences.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byhonigc November 22, 2010

Magical movie for grade schoolers

We let our 4.5 year old watch this in 20 minute installments over a few weeks. She's never watched a full length film and I have to admit, I turned it on more for me than her - I needed a Julie Andrews fix! It's a wonderful, magical movie. She enjoyed the singing and dancing, but the details of the storyline were a bit over her head. We stopped it every so often to explain what was going on (what's a chimney sweep? what's a fox hunt? why is the father in a bad mood? etc), but I think that children who are slightly older would not need this decoding.
Adult Written bymoniwells January 12, 2009

Intense Scenes for Little One

Two scenes to be aware about: the kids get lost and then run into a "witch" and a dog baring its teeth and barking before they find Burt who doesn't look like Burt because he is covered in soot 2)The admiral and his man shoot at the chimney sweeps with his canon. Though they look like fireworks and no one gets hurt, they are still shooting at people. That's as far in the movie that we got because my 4 year old didn't "like that when they were shooting" and so we didn't watch the rest.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhelenstars November 10, 2011

Classic

This is a great movie to help parents and kids alike the importance of being silly. On the first viewing, however, my 5 year old was confused at the stressful twist at the end where the father loses his job. It is redeemed with the kite-flying scene, but still it was a discussion for us. Love this movie!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bythelongstocking May 9, 2011

Perfect for all ages

LOve this! My 3 year old son has been watching this movie since a baby.. It was the ONLy one we introduced due to its magical, sing song, feel good, imagination building ways. My son now dances, with a cane and a hat like Bert, sings all the songs, and believes in magic.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written byjt7ou November 21, 2010

Step-in-Time Rocks!!!!

Love it!!! My 15 month old & 3 year old both love dancing to step-in-time!!! Our family's favorite movie!!!
Adult Written byigssmom April 9, 2008

A classic

My 3 year old daughter wants to watch this movie every day. She is learning a lot about empathy through watching the character development (i.e., the grumpy but loving father becomes a devoted family man.)
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

A classic not to be missed!

This was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter (age 5) has been enjoying it for over 2 years now. The only parts that were kind of iffy as far as her being able to understand and not be scared was the scuffle in the bank and the kids running scared through the alleys before Burt finds them. Otherwise it's still the best!
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byExpatMom March 17, 2014

A classic for all ages!

Even our very sensitive little 3 year old loves this movie. If only they still made kids movies like this one!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byHook316 December 3, 2012

Great movie for young ones

My three year old and five year old love this movie. The songs are ALWAYS sung around our house. Very good and fun movie for the young ones.
Parent Written byWaldorf Mom July 5, 2012

A winner for fearful kids!

LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! My 5 year old (just turned 5) has watched this movie over 20 times. He can't get enough of it. My 8 year old will watch it and enjoy it as well. We do fast forward the scene at the bank and when the children are running away from the bank and turn it back again when they find Bert. My 5 year old is VERY fearful and thus we have needed to be incredibly careful in picking our movies. This is one of the few winners! The whole family sings the songs even when the movie isn't playing.
Adult Written byJanelleam February 3, 2012

Great live action movie for 2 and up!

I think Common Sense Media missed the mark on rating this for 6 and up. After talking to some friends, I decided to try it with my kids, ages 2 and 4 and they both LOVED it. There are so few good live action movies available for kids of this age. My kids are very sensitive to harrowing situations and scary stuff and neither of them had any issues. My only notes were that the father prepares a pipe (which he never smokes) and death is mentioned. Just mentioned. Overall, great film for 2 and up!
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byDogLover in DE November 11, 2011

Great movie with fun songs.

This is one of my daughter's favorite movies. She watches this every time we take a long car trip. She first saw it when she was 4.5, almost 5.
Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byFosterFan October 8, 2011

Mary Poppins: A timeless classic.

Mary Poppins is a wonderful family film, which no kid should be denied of watching. Of course, it's a little long, but older kids should be able to handle it.
Educator and Parent Written byrpaditya May 20, 2011

classic

good opener for dialogue about role models, responsibility and play
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylemonbar April 23, 2011

We tried not to let our son watch any tv until two but ended up caving in when he was 18 months old and stuck inside sick with snow on the ground outside....He has been watching this movie since then (he is now 22 months old). He LOVES it, we all do. The cannon shots are a little jolting but other than that there is nothing but goodness in this fun movie with animation/real actors/real singing. He loves saying "up up up" like Mr. Banks and singing "let's go fly a kite, UP..."
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh April 11, 2011

Excellent for most ages, though long for very young kids

My kids -- 7 and 10 -- quite enjoyed this. While some of the cinematic effects are a little dated, they were state-of-the-art of their day -- though the songs and performances all hold up perfectly. My only comment for parents is that while "Mary Poppins" features plenty of kid-friendly singing and dancing and music and animation, it is a good bit longer than most typical kids' movies (139 minutes, rather than the 100-minute average of today). And, it's underlying themes of class and parenting are quite adult. I don't mean inappropriate but sophisticated. Witty songs on women's suffrage, the influence of the British Empire, and compounding interest will go way over young kids' heads. So, your preschoolers might get a tad bored. Your tweens and beyond, however, will enjoy it all the more. (My favorite joke: In reference to the Boston Tea Party, "Colonists boarded a British ship and dump crates of tea in the harbor, making it unfit to drink... even for Americans.") -- mm
Parent of a 3 year old Written bydavesteer December 26, 2010

Great movie. A ton of amazing, catchy songs with a positive message for kids. Even better when kids and parents watch together.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bychez_geek December 21, 2010