All parent member reviews for Mary Poppins

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTomDarla October 12, 2009

Kids love the music, magic, and fun

Kids at a very young age will enjoy this magical classic. Our child loved watching this movie soon after he turned 4. He is sensitive to tense scenes and conflict, which are scarcely seen in this film, so we often chose this movie over so many others deemed acceptable for young ones.
Parent Written byannielight January 13, 2011

Enchanting for a 4-year old

My 4-year old has a great attention span, and so this movie (which is a bit long and can seem slow in places) worked well for him. He just delights in the songs and animation/live action sequences.
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

A classic not to be missed!

This was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter (age 5) has been enjoying it for over 2 years now. The only parts that were kind of iffy as far as her being able to understand and not be scared was the scuffle in the bank and the kids running scared through the alleys before Burt finds them. Otherwise it's still the best!
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written byjt7ou November 21, 2010

Step-in-Time Rocks!!!!

Love it!!! My 15 month old & 3 year old both love dancing to step-in-time!!! Our family's favorite movie!!!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bydavesteer December 26, 2010

Great movie. A ton of amazing, catchy songs with a positive message for kids. Even better when kids and parents watch together.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjfw731 November 14, 2010

Fun for my two year old

My two year old loves this movie. He loves the singing and dancing numbers, but also seems interested in the dialogue. I don't think there is anything scary or inappropriate in May Poppins. I love watching it with him.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh April 11, 2011

Excellent for most ages, though long for very young kids

My kids -- 7 and 10 -- quite enjoyed this. While some of the cinematic effects are a little dated, they were state-of-the-art of their day -- though the songs and performances all hold up perfectly. My only comment for parents is that while "Mary Poppins" features plenty of kid-friendly singing and dancing and music and animation, it is a good bit longer than most typical kids' movies (139 minutes, rather than the 100-minute average of today). And, it's underlying themes of class and parenting are quite adult. I don't mean inappropriate but sophisticated. Witty songs on women's suffrage, the influence of the British Empire, and compounding interest will go way over young kids' heads. So, your preschoolers might get a tad bored. Your tweens and beyond, however, will enjoy it all the more. (My favorite joke: In reference to the Boston Tea Party, "Colonists boarded a British ship and dump crates of tea in the harbor, making it unfit to drink... even for Americans.") -- mm
Educator and Parent Written byrpaditya May 20, 2011

classic

good opener for dialogue about role models, responsibility and play
Parent Written bymom2twogirls1boy November 17, 2010

I loved this movie as a child and couldn't wait to share it with my girls. Ages 3 & 5, they both loved this movie. I rated it 3 and up only because I'm not sure the younger children have the attention span it requires to get through this one. My 5 year old can sit through the entire thing. My 3 year old will get up and want to do something else about halfway through. The music is great!
Parent Written byheather s November 24, 2010

Creative and Musical

Very positive and creative movie with memorable songs. One safety concern - sliding down the banister.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bythelongstocking May 9, 2011

Perfect for all ages

LOve this! My 3 year old son has been watching this movie since a baby.. It was the ONLy one we introduced due to its magical, sing song, feel good, imagination building ways. My son now dances, with a cane and a hat like Bert, sings all the songs, and believes in magic.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byhonigc November 22, 2010

Magical movie for grade schoolers

We let our 4.5 year old watch this in 20 minute installments over a few weeks. She's never watched a full length film and I have to admit, I turned it on more for me than her - I needed a Julie Andrews fix! It's a wonderful, magical movie. She enjoyed the singing and dancing, but the details of the storyline were a bit over her head. We stopped it every so often to explain what was going on (what's a chimney sweep? what's a fox hunt? why is the father in a bad mood? etc), but I think that children who are slightly older would not need this decoding.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylemonbar April 23, 2011

We tried not to let our son watch any tv until two but ended up caving in when he was 18 months old and stuck inside sick with snow on the ground outside....He has been watching this movie since then (he is now 22 months old). He LOVES it, we all do. The cannon shots are a little jolting but other than that there is nothing but goodness in this fun movie with animation/real actors/real singing. He loves saying "up up up" like Mr. Banks and singing "let's go fly a kite, UP..."
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee December 3, 2010

The kids loved the songs and the make believe. They were talking about it and singing for days.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bychez_geek December 21, 2010

Parent of a 3 year old Written byyip95 August 23, 2010

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byDogLover in DE November 11, 2011

Great movie with fun songs.

This is one of my daughter's favorite movies. She watches this every time we take a long car trip. She first saw it when she was 4.5, almost 5.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhelenstars November 10, 2011

Classic

This is a great movie to help parents and kids alike the importance of being silly. On the first viewing, however, my 5 year old was confused at the stressful twist at the end where the father loses his job. It is redeemed with the kite-flying scene, but still it was a discussion for us. Love this movie!
Adult Written bytorimorris April 9, 2008

4 year old loves it!

Our 4 year old saw this movie after meeting Mary Poppins at Disney World and just loves it. She watched everyday for weeks.
Adult Written byigssmom April 9, 2008

A classic

My 3 year old daughter wants to watch this movie every day. She is learning a lot about empathy through watching the character development (i.e., the grumpy but loving father becomes a devoted family man.)