All parent member reviews for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Adult Written byrandyba April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycrystal April 9, 2008

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World was an enjoyable mixture of action and drama, melted into one story about a ship and its captain. There were a few action sequences (especially scary since they were on a boat), although less that what was expected, and a very visual surgery. However, to counter all the action, there were also heartfelt speeches and a strong friendship between the main characters, which is incredibly inspiring. Master and Commander is largely entertaining for people with all sorts of different tastes in movies, but I wouldn't recommed it for children under 13.
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written bygamenerd323 November 12, 2009

One of Russel Crowes best movies

The movie is actually quite tame, but in the begging and end there are horribly graphic battle scenes showing excessive and realestic blood and some gore.
Adult Written byR. June 12, 2009

Added info on language

Parents be aware of one fleeting use of the F-bomb, midway through the film, by two castaways that are being picked up by Crowe's ship. Very disappointing, due to these characters had no bearing on the film, prior to, or after this scene. The accents of these castaways are thick and may not be picked up on, but often as happens, people/children role model what they see and hear. Other than the noted violence that is already noted by others, we wonder why the directors had to "slip" in this term in an otherwise quick paced movie. Picking a star rating would have been a four, if not for the use of this term.
Adult Written byTwilight April 9, 2008

Awesome

Great movie, only problem here is the violence. There is blood and a kid gets his arm amputated, during the amputation all you see is his face, nothing overly disturbing.
Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

...

I think this would be okay for older teens.
Adult Written bytomp April 9, 2008

Old-fashioned war movie

This is a great story of courage and leadership, with fine performances and wonderful cinematography. The violence is jolting but not gratuitous. The movie goes on a bit long. Its battle scenes are spelled by beautiful shots of the ship and crew going about their gritty tasks, with the highlight a sub-plot about a naturalist bent on recording the wealth of unique species discovered on the Gallapagos Islands.
Adult Written byhorsecraze14 April 9, 2008

Pretty Good but not my favorite.......

This movie was ok. There was nothing bad in it besides some very mild language and a couple gross surgeon parts. It was a rather long movie and pointless but It still had a pretty good story line and would be ok for anyone to watch!
Parent Written byFameEludesMe July 4, 2012

An absolute gem of a well-made, thoughtful, exciting adventure.

I've seen Master and Commander three times, with each of my kids, ages 12, 18 and 21. We all love it because it's so completely engaging as to story, historical period, friendship and adventure. It's the kind of movie Hollywood used to make that takes time to explore real emotions, decisions and strategy. Russell Crowe and Ralph Bellamy worked together in A Beautiful Mind and their friendship as a result of that movie colors their wonderful performances in this one. Crowe has never been better; he IS Jack Aubrey, bold and clever sea captain. This is one of the best films I've ever seen, hands down.
Adult Written bySavvypenguin April 4, 2012

Literature Condensed

This movie encompasses events in almost ten different novels about the late 17th- early 18th century era of naval combat and life. There is a good deal of violence and alcohol as the period and the subject area were violent and alcohol was a staple of the mariner diet at the time. However, as the story is almost purely fictional (the author modeled characters after real life people in his novels) it is a very accurate though fictional period portrayal which, so long as the class is taken into account, makes a fairly good history class tool as a "look at the life of" film. There are scenes that not only convey the mariner lifestyle but also the lifestyle of England at the time.
Adult Written byJohnny J February 29, 2012

Great film. The ratings boards should walk the plank.

Great film. I highly recommend it. Good positive messages about friendship. However, the F--Bomb is dropped once and in a completely unnecessary way for a movie aiming for a PG-13/12 rating in my humble opinion. This movie is a 15/R - make NO mistake. If LOTR ROTK is allowed a PG-13/12 rating because it's a fantasy film or "it contains 'fantasy violence'" then this film is not deserving of this lower rating - simple as!!! It contains plenty of claret - belonging to humans (and I DON'T mean the beverage). The MPAA & BBFC are in a total state today (and not a good state), and only a complete fool would fail to acknowledge it. The tone of this movie combined with the level of blood spilled is not acceptable for a PG-13/12 rating...you have been warned. When actors like Matt Damon are showing concern over movies given PG-13 ratings and saying they shouldn't be, you know it ain't just you or me.... ...Perhaps Spielberg should suggest to the ratings boards a new rating which is between a PG-13 and an R should be created...Sarcasm?...You'd better believe it ;)
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008