Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Meet the Robinsons

Clever but sometimes scary time-travel adventure.

Adult Written byblessed2adopt2 April 9, 2008

This movie totally turned me off

When I saw the ads for this movie, (Joan Cusak with the coffee patch) I thought it was cute. However, after I purchased the DVD (we did not see it in the theater), I previewed it before showing it to my 2 (adopted) children. I was so mad at how they portrayed children in orphanages. Certainly there was another way to portray a boy genius and still have a cute story. Whether or not it was based on a book, I found this movie quite offensive.
Parent Written byjenelc December 8, 2015

My favorite Disney Movie

The point is that it does teach you that family is important no matter who it is. You may have to watch it twice to see this or you may not. But the best part of this is that it teaches people in general (not just kids) that you should not give up when you fail. This is done in a fun sci-fi ish way. I don't believe everything about the movie is completely perfect, but I own the DVD and believe that it's how you view life in general. Either you're a positive person and see the positive in the movie or you specifically look for negative things and things to get offended by. Being offended is a choice and so is attitude and happiness.

Parent of a 9 year old Written by9samuel9 August 18, 2010

grate

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJennrleigh April 16, 2011

A MUST SEE for the whole family!

Meet the Robinsons is without a doubt our favorite family movie. The movie is endearing tale of a little boy who happens to be an inventor (encourages creativity & problem solving) who learns that failure isn't a reason to quit. Failure is an opportunity to learn! The motto is "Keep moving forward!" What a fantastic message for kids today who only know a world of immediate gratification. There are a few scary spots but my son, who scares pretty easily- he won't watch Snow White b/c of the Wicked Queen, is fine during these scenes. They make light of these scary situations by throwing in cute jokes! Also there are are few inappropriate words (such as stupid), but it isn't enough to detract from the extremely positive message of the movie! I'm shocked by some of these reviews- This is A MUST SEE for even small children!

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMom of 3 kids January 23, 2010

100% of parent reviews say this is too violent, yet csmedia recommends movie for young kids with no warnings about violence?

This movie was NOT what was billed on commonsensemedia, which said the movie was great for ages 5 +. Hello? NOT for my 5-year-old, who tends to be fairly resilient with scary movie images. But there was a Jurassic-Park-style dinosaur that morphed from the past and chased down the kids, trying to eat them? And surreal hats that tried to take over the world? Not to mention, the time-travel content was too hard for my kindergartener to follow, such that she really didn't understand the resolution at the end. VERY VERY disappointed in this website, to which we usually turn for recommendations for family movies. WHO was asleep at the wheel for this one? Seriously, a very bad recommendation; no longer trusting csmedia for help with movies.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bygrasley627 February 15, 2010

Scary Scene in Regard to Allergies

There is some scary parts but the kids enjoyed most of it. The biggest concern was scene in the beginning of the child going into anaphalactic shock was very scary for my child with a peanut allergy. She couldn't watch the rest until she calmed down and realized the character was okay. I wish there was a warning about this...Cloudy with Meatballs also has a scene toward the end that could be scary for allergic children.

Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bybusy with 3 kids December 11, 2009
I am so glad I watched this before my kids did!!!! i was so offended by the negative message it portrays to adopted children.

Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written byHelen Bonder July 23, 2013

Not for adopted children.

Wonderful and simply charming movie! My kids loved it! No swearing but mild insults (Booger Brain like-stuff). Its NOT for adopted children. The main character is adopted.

Adult Written byJeshikaJ March 17, 2015

FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! Great message.

The messages I took from the movie were never give up, always be yourself and consider other peoples feelings even if you're on the brink of something fantastic. It has an interesting plot, with much imagination put into it and enough twists and turns to keep it interesting for the adults! There are some scary moments that some children may not enjoy, however, ultimately a great movie that I recommend seeing. I would say the age group depends on the developmental stage of your child, so 2+. As I have worked with some pretty intelligent 2 year olds.

Adult Written byRcook October 11, 2013

One of my favorite movies

This movie is seriously one of my favorite movies because I'm in love with the theme that Disney made ever-present in this movie: Keep Moving Forward. It's actully from a wonderful quote by Walt Disney and I think it's such a great thing to teach kids! Too often movies have been repeating themes and it's exhausting. But what a great theme that we have been leaving out recently. The whole focus is that you should learn from your mistake s and keep looking forward, don't be hindered by your past but learn from your mistakes because mistakes are okay. I love it! Also it protrays family beautifully- it's importance and the support that comes from it. While other reviews on this site said that it "offends them", I think they need to chill, becasue no way is this movie offensive. Regarding the orphanage, I think it shined a light a common feeling for orphans, or anyone in a situation like that. It was relatable. Also this movie shows how sometimes one bad action can directly affect the future, but at the same time (after that less than 2 minute scene) it shows how one idea can change the future for the good. Did I mention it's hilarious!? I will be quoting "I have a big head and little arms..." for the rest of my life! All the characters are fun and the script is funny. Also at the end, with the Rob Thomas song, and the full Disney quote; I get shivers and tear up every time.

Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bymaddox121 August 25, 2015

might be too scary under five

not any adult humor but it might be scary for toddlers

Adult Written byadamswifey April 17, 2015

good movie - a little hard to follow for kids

I really liked this movie. When I saw it was G rated - i decided to watch it with my 4 & 6 year old kids. I found it hard for them to follow - due to the time travel aspects and going from future, to present, to past, etc. It was also more scary than a G rated film should be. Particularly the end. This should have been rated PG. I loved the message of this movie - but it is a movie for older kids. the main characters are 12 & 13. I would think 12 and 13 year olds would relate well with the characters and understand it better. VERY entertaining for the grownups though. Love the humor and the theme.

Adult Written byoweing September 4, 2011

Disney does right

Disney's first great 3d animation without Pixar.
Adult Written byTreeBee April 9, 2008

Bowler Hats terrified my preschooler -we left the theater

I am writing this because I searched for many reviews about this film before I took my preschooler to see this at the theater. She enjoys the "theater experience" and I was happy a G rated movie had come out that I felt confident taking her to see. Alas! The film was full of questionable content - abandonment and growing up alone and the violence was ever present. The T-rex was bad enough but the scene where the bowler hats take over the bodies of the Robinson family was the proverbial straw, and we had to leave the theater with our terrified child. Our daughter was not the only crying child that afternoon. I was tremendously disappointed in this film and was surprised it had received a G rating. In the future, I will have to see the film first or just boycott Disney products entirely.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bybenjaminb April 3, 2011
My husband, myself and my 6 year old child loved it! I think it's one of the best modern kid's movies out there. Although there is the heavy subject matter of adoption, I found it to be portrayed with care and an attempt to understand. And as far as the villains are concerned, everything comes to be explained and repaired in a loving manner. Moreover, there is a thread of positive messages throughout that I found to be very moving and beautiful. I should add my child has a peanut allergy and I appreciate this site and the reviewer who gave us a heads up about the allergic reaction scene. Yes, it was alarming, and it did give us something to talk about afterwards, but somehow it made it better that the allergic reaction was on an adult, an epi-pen was immediately used, and the character was okay. And the name calling is said from the victim's point of view, and it's acknowledged how destructive this kind of language can be. I think this is a really great movie.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

good movie

very scary

Adult Written byroom mom April 9, 2008
Parent of an infant, 4, 6, and 6 year old Written byFowlerFan October 5, 2012

Good movie, but over most kid's heads

There were two areas of real concern for me as a parent with this movie. The langauge is still a bit off for 6 year olds ... "dumb, stupid, bozos" are the more common ones. Those aren't words I want to hear them say. Not very bad, but a little off. Generally phrases like, "I didn't you hear what I said, you idiot!", or, "... kept me up all night working on your stupid project." The thing that got me the most was the scariness - and it was one scene. Near the very end when everyone on earth turns into a robot like worker, the earth goes dark, and looks polluted. I thought the scene was a little too intense. It didn't last long, maybe five minutes for that whole scenario, but enough that I thought it would bother my kids. The bowler hat guy himself, who people refer to - wasn't that bad. He was silly enough in parts that I think his scariness doesn't really count. I always don't think most kids will understand the movie - the whole concept of time travel can be pretty complex.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byjoannab July 11, 2010

love it

We love this movie. The kid reminds us of our own 8-year old inventor, who just wants to be loved. Great show. Great music, a little intense in a few spots. The end makes us all cry, every time. I love how he finds the family that's just right for him.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byshanglen October 2, 2009

Not for little, kids who are sensitive to violence!

This had my 5yo in hysterics. I thought that a Disney rated G movie was safe - WRONG. Kids almost getting eaten by dinosaurs, hats that turn into spiders - yuck!