Parent reviews for Meet the Robinsons

Clever but sometimes scary time-travel adventure.

Parent Written byHadassah D. May 8, 2018

Growth Mindset at its best!!

I can’t believe how low ratings could be given to. Movie of this nature...but in the world in which we live now, the low ratings make sense. I love how this movie deals with real issues, issues that orphans sometimes face, even those who have been adopted...”Why did my parents give me up?” “Do they not love me?” “I just can’t get anything right!” As an educator these are issues I find my students facing, feelings of worthlessness and sometimes abandonment. However, this movie shows that kids are truly special, even if they’re not little geniuses! It showcases talents other than just being good at being smart. I also love the message that in spite of your bad circumstances and negative beginnings, that your life can turn out all right, if you continue to remain positive and keep working hard. Anytime something gets challenging for my students and my own kids, they want to give up. This movie makes me feel like I can do anything!!!, if I just “keep moving forward!!”

Adult Written byRcook October 11, 2013

One of my favorite movies

This movie is seriously one of my favorite movies because I'm in love with the theme that Disney made ever-present in this movie: Keep Moving Forward. It's actully from a wonderful quote by Walt Disney and I think it's such a great thing to teach kids! Too often movies have been repeating themes and it's exhausting. But what a great theme that we have been leaving out recently. The whole focus is that you should learn from your mistake s and keep looking forward, don't be hindered by your past but learn from your mistakes because mistakes are okay. I love it! Also it protrays family beautifully- it's importance and the support that comes from it. While other reviews on this site said that it "offends them", I think they need to chill, becasue no way is this movie offensive. Regarding the orphanage, I think it shined a light a common feeling for orphans, or anyone in a situation like that. It was relatable. Also this movie shows how sometimes one bad action can directly affect the future, but at the same time (after that less than 2 minute scene) it shows how one idea can change the future for the good. Did I mention it's hilarious!? I will be quoting "I have a big head and little arms..." for the rest of my life! All the characters are fun and the script is funny. Also at the end, with the Rob Thomas song, and the full Disney quote; I get shivers and tear up every time.

Educational Value
Parent of an infant, 4, 6, and 6-year-old Written byFowlerFan October 5, 2012

Good movie, but over most kid's heads

There were two areas of real concern for me as a parent with this movie. The langauge is still a bit off for 6 year olds ... "dumb, stupid, bozos" are the more common ones. Those aren't words I want to hear them say. Not very bad, but a little off. Generally phrases like, "I didn't you hear what I said, you idiot!", or, "... kept me up all night working on your stupid project."

The thing that got me the most was the scariness - and it was one scene. Near the very end when everyone on earth turns into a robot like worker, the earth goes dark, and looks polluted. I thought the scene was a little too intense. It didn't last long, maybe five minutes for that whole scenario, but enough that I thought it would bother my kids. The bowler hat guy himself, who people refer to - wasn't that bad. He was silly enough in parts that I think his scariness doesn't really count.

I always don't think most kids will understand the movie - the whole concept of time travel can be pretty complex.

Adult Written byTwoCrowsFlying April 9, 2008

A Little Too Gut Wrenching for a G-Rating

As An adult, I really liked this film. The writing was great the voice talents were great I loved the story line. However my six year old son was completely distraught during and for days after this film. Again we have the Disney Dilemma, always the parents are missing or more likely deceased. In this case it was all the more gut wrenching as the parent is seen leaving the baby on the doorstep of the orphanage! TWICE! My Son left the theater at the end of the movie sobbing.
I really think a PG rating would be a bit more appropriate than a G. And I wish Disney would let some parents live once in awhile.
Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written byJhakim1985 August 23, 2019

Great storyline..be prepared to answer lots of Qs!

Watched this with my 7yr old and 4yr old. My 6yr old had lotsss of Qs for me! Why did the mom leave baby? Where did she go? Moms are supposed to take care of their baby. Then sadder Qs- What if you left me as a baby, who would take care of me?
We had a good discussion on kids who are orphans/adopted, which led to being thankful for what you have! I wasn't expecting for such sad Qs. Also the traveling from the past to the future had her confused..how and why.
Parents keep in mind to have answers ready! Overall great message on "keep moving forward".
Don't give up and keep trying..end results are great!

Adult Written bySirmiti July 26, 2019

Great!

I just show Meet the Robinsons. This Disney animated adventure was not only enjoyable but it was very meaningful for adults. The director was able to illustrate that we have the power to change the future. By making better choices and helping people to feel good about themselves. By showing us how to make a person feel exceptionally good when they fail at something; by saying positive things so the person could feel invigorating and Keep Moving Forward.

Parent of a 4, 7, 7, and 9-year-old Written byJonesFamOf6 April 7, 2019

Amazing!

This movie is amazing and comedic gold for kids. My kids aged 9, 7, 7 and 4 all loved the different personalities of the characters and they didn't find Doris too scary.

Adult Written byHolly R. April 2, 2018

Keep moving forward (I was never adopted and was in foster care till 18)

I'm surprised by so many people saying not for adopted kids. I was in foster care most of my life and stayed until I aged out. This movie didn't offend me; it gave me hope. I ALWAYS was a negative teenager back as a kid and wondered why I ALWAYS screwed up. I discovered that reason because of that movie. I gave up and was too critical on myself. This is my new favorite movie. I almost dismissed it because it looked stupid but was surprised that I actually learned something. The part where Lewis was about to have a meltdown for failing once again only to be cheered on to "keep moving forward" brought me to tears but in a good way. I will warn you that when he "meets" his mom she didn't ring the door bell for her baby that she dumps, it's kid Lewis so it can be upsetting if you catch it. And yes I was an abandoned type orphan and unfortunately child abandonment doesn't always end with a permanent home (I aged out and was on my own with only $200 on me and no way to care for myself). Despite this this film inspired me to "keep moving forward" and that is why this film has a special place in my heart. Especially since I found my own family just when things looked hopeless. And actually though parts of the film are not excatly how the American foster care system is ran I still found it to sorta accurate (rivalry between the other kids and growing up bitter and self critical) and the fact that they eventually moved forward to a better future. Best message for this generation and it's not scary unless you shelter your children from everything which alot of people seem to do.

Adult Written byJimmy N. November 1, 2016

Meet the Robinsons will Keep Moving Forward

Parents and Kids need to know that this movie is heartful. This movie is all about a boy named Lewis and he tries so hard to find the family that he deserve. Wilbur and Lewis time traveled to meet the robinsonshttps://youtu.be/BMfzPbONyVA?list=PLDnigYJZ_wakK_GyqDUdR7nZX1o8UJE_I. Watch this music video about Meet the Robinsons

Parent Written byjenelc December 8, 2015

My favorite Disney Movie

The point is that it does teach you that family is important no matter who it is. You may have to watch it twice to see this or you may not. But the best part of this is that it teaches people in general (not just kids) that you should not give up when you fail. This is done in a fun sci-fi ish way. I don't believe everything about the movie is completely perfect, but I own the DVD and believe that it's how you view life in general. Either you're a positive person and see the positive in the movie or you specifically look for negative things and things to get offended by. Being offended is a choice and so is attitude and happiness.

Adult Written byadamswifey April 17, 2015

good movie - a little hard to follow for kids

I really liked this movie. When I saw it was G rated - i decided to watch it with my 4 & 6 year old kids. I found it hard for them to follow - due to the time travel aspects and going from future, to present, to past, etc.
It was also more scary than a G rated film should be. Particularly the end. This should have been rated PG.
I loved the message of this movie - but it is a movie for older kids. the main characters are 12 & 13. I would think 12 and 13 year olds would relate well with the characters and understand it better.
VERY entertaining for the grownups though. Love the humor and the theme.

Parent Written byMidnight blue August 28, 2020

Best movie

This is a great movie it's safe for your kids to watch. I watch this alot.

Adult Written byhe745 August 25, 2020
Adult Written byMacrizzuto May 20, 2020

My kids are in hysterics

My kiddos are age 4 and 5 and both are in hysterics over the mom leaving the baby in the opening scene. I agree with every parent who said it should be rated PG. shame on me for not watching first-I though a rated g rating would be fine. So much name calling (idiot, stupid, etc....). It is also confusing with the time travel. Don’t watch this with little ones.

Adult Written byMamaBearInOz April 15, 2020

So many terrific messages!

I'm a biological parent so I don't have strong feelings about the accuracy of the adoption process however my children were empathetic towards Louis and Michael during their time at the orphanage.

The best part about this movie is the message that failing is an excellent thing as you learn more from failing than from succeeding. Along with the motto "Keep moving forward", just like Dory reminding us to "just keep swimming" the message is to keep going even when things aren't working out. Because by moving forward you will find that things will work out.

Louis is an unusual kid who finds "his tribe" which contains all unusual individuals who love, accept and celebrate each other just as they are.

As the mother of 2 special needs kids this movie is one of our family favourites and one of my go to lesson's! I'm always quoting "from failing you learn, from success, not so much". Any movie that celebrates failure and imperfection should be a family staple in this day and age.

The other thing that I love is the emphasis on choosing how to handle situations. "Bowler Hat Guy" chooses to blame Louis for all his problems, he goes back in time to ruin Louis's life. But we learn that "Goob" chose to negative thoughts and behaviours which resulted in his miserable existence. However, if he CHOSE to be positive in the course of his life, as he does at the end, then things would work out differently for him. Louis also starts to go down a negative path and until Wilbur helps Louis change course. I'm constantly telling my kids "Happiness is a choice" and this is perfectly demonstrated in Meet The Robinson's.

Parent of a 3, 8, and 10-year-old Written byRPJConnell December 3, 2018
Adult Written bygoobgoobgoob69 November 26, 2018

Goob

I give this a Goob/5

Parent of a 10, 12, and 16-year-old Written byHendo H. U January 23, 2018

Parent of a 5 and 8-year-old Written byKim B. October 29, 2017

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byV A. May 13, 2017

So many wonderful layers

This movie started out as a cute and sentimental story of an intelligent orphan on the brink of being a teenager, who still hopes to be adopted after being turned down several times. But as the movie unfolded there were many adventurous twists and turns that you don't at first fully understand but if you hop on the time machine, all will be revealed in the end. And it's funny, smart and just makes you and your kids feel inspired.