All parent member reviews for Megamind

Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive November 26, 2010

So many wrong messages in this movie Bullying,...

My husband and I went to watch it without the children just to make sure it was appropriate. After the first five minutes, we decided this was not a good movie for our children. There are many parts of the story that even this website blew right past. Here goes my list of problems: 1) Bullying is appropriate and accepted behavior and never punished. 2) Being bad because that's what your good at is accepted. 3) Becoming the "good guy" because the new "bad guy" is not as bad as you were. 4) Heroes "quitting the business" because they are tired of helping other people and want to live for themselves. 5) The humor in it is exactly what I would expect from people who write for SNL. It's sad that no one is paying attention to any of these subjects that are so negative. Sorry Will Ferrell, but I will not take me kids to see this movie.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byStormi November 24, 2010

Really loved the movie. Very adorable and my 4 and 5 year old giggled and danced through it and really enjoyed it. There were a few things I was dismayed about for their age. Some of the song selections (even though they did technically stop the song before it said h*ll) and the villain yelling that there was no Easter bunny or tooth fairy seemed inappropriate for a children's movie. Overall great message and very cute. Not too violent- all done very cartoonish and laughy. Most appropriate for 6+ I think but still ok for 4 and 5 with some caution.
Parent Written byRobert Zaleski March 11, 2012

Entertaining with Good Plot dynamics while still being age appropriate

My 3 year old likes this movie. I think it plays on the typical villian/hero theme, which hopefully you've taught your kids to not take too seriously. People state about Metro Man quiting is probably right, but people need to take care of themselves too, so him deciding to do what he wants is probably fine. It's also clear from the start Mega Mind doesn't really want to be a bad guy, but chooses it as a result of experience. Overall I think this is a fine movie.
Adult Written bymaddox121 August 27, 2015

Language:

"Hell "Dam" "Bit--"
Teen, 17 years old Written bySS1234 April 20, 2015

Horrid

This was the only movie I feel asleep in while being at the cinema. I should have stuck to Morning Glory. It is also forgettable.
Adult Written byCollegiateGirl January 4, 2013

Worth the Watch, Time and Again

This is one of my favorite movies because I find so many good lessons from it the more I watch it. I find it immensely refreshing to find a romantic relationship which is focused more on spending time together than touching or kissing, and how someone's self-image is sometimes all that is holding them back from being who they need to be. I feel that the messages here involve what we do with the gifts given to us, and stepping up to the plate. There is a contrast between characters who have gifts who choose not to use them, those who have gifts they do not see, and those who have gifts and use them wrongly. There is minor language (song "On the Highway to H*ll", amusingly paused right before the word, then accidentally played again on that word) and three uses of the Lord's name in vain. Also, there is a scene where a skeleton is blasted at one of the characters which is a little creepy for anyone <5. Roxanne's outfits are mildly revealing, but for the most part remain tasteful.
Parent Written byHaywire November 22, 2012

Good for 5 and up

My rating: G
Parent Written byRun boy run. November 2, 2012

This movie is freakin funny

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

Not bad,but could be better.

Megamind was pretty fun,cool,hilarious,and nice to watch,BUT there were some flaws about it.Like,the film was getting kind of boring,Roxaine Richie was an annoying character,the storyline was poor (nothing terrible though),and the scene with the spider in Megamind's eye was just disgusting.Now,I DON'T hate spiders,but that scene was gross.There was some humor (though the film didn't make me LOL that much),interesting characters,mind-blowing animation,and likeable music,but that's all.You know,Megamind could've been a very enthralling film,but it had to be something average.It was good,but sort of dissapointing.
Adult Written bydeb2 June 28, 2012

Good, but for older kids

This is a fun movie, but kids 7-8 and under will be confused.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 23, 2012

THE SUPER VILLAIN IS THE STAR!!!

This is a very clever superhero movie! Will Ferrell did a great job for playing the voice of Megamind! Just like any other superhero movie, there's plenty of action and peril in this movie, but it's all kinda cartoonish in nature. All in all, I like this movie, and you parents who have kids ages 8 and up will like this movie too!
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Mega-mind

this movie is intence dreamworks film but way over boring..... b-o-r-i-n-g.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byWhite Zulu January 3, 2012

Pass on this film

I found this movie really tacky and very questionable for 6 year olds. Full of mean characters and bullies. I'd take a pass on this one.
Parent Written byAltair-Avenir December 20, 2011

GR8 M00VIE

It contains one or two kisses but they don't count!
Adult Written byErindira September 28, 2011

Very funny

We watched this with our 2 nine year-old boys, and we all loved it. It is very funny, without the parts that might make you cringe as a parent. The animation is good, and the dialogue is hilarious.
Parent Written byParentofBoyandGirl September 19, 2011

R-rated music about drugs and destruction is inappropriate for children's movie.

The music in this movie is completely inappropriate. "Sex, drugs and rock and roll" should never be appropriate music for children since they like to sing along. A children's movie full of AC/DC songs?? Heavy Metal songs for toddlers and small children is crazy. Highway To Hell, is not a children's song! There are more of the same types of songs in the movie by Ozzy Osborne, Guns and Roses. These music CDs in the store are rated R. I am furious that I bought this movie. I assumed it was "safe" based on the reviews and watched it with the kids rather than previewing it first like usual, yes, my error. My children are 8 and 10, so not too little, but those songs are never songs I would ever like for them to listen to and definitely not sing along at this age. The movie itself was okay, but the music is completely inappropriate. I have since thrown the movie in the trash.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bynearlyfallinstar May 16, 2011

I love this movie for the concept that good can not exist without evil and that when there is evil, good will always rise up against it. My girls are not old enough to understand this underlying theme, but it made for an enjoyable movie for me. I was disappointed in the original hero, Metro Man, but it is a conflicting idea for me. On one hand, he is selfish to let Metro City fall into peril without helping the citizens, while on the other hand, it teaches that a person's dreams and self-fulfillment are important for individual happiness. To close, this is a pleasant movie with mild violent and non-threatening flirting.
Parent Written byjhartsock81 April 12, 2011

Villain who goes good after he loses his nemesis.
Parent of an infant, 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byMeli B. April 7, 2011

An original score would have been better!

Good super hero movie. I liked that it was a villian that finds the desire to help others and become a hero! Great message. On the other hand I disapproved of the music. It would have been much better had they used an original score rather than the 80's rock band music. I also noticed that Roxanne had the tiniest waist imaginable. It annoyed me, but didn't break the movie. My boys all enjoyed it. My husband and I enjoyed finding adult humor in the background images, like the ark of the covenant for the villian with everything, or the "no we can't" political posters. Just a fun movie.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byFunkyMonkey April 3, 2011

Perfect for younger kids not tweens

Well it is good for the younger kids ( 5-9 ) But my daughter is 10 and doesn't like it. She is thinks it is very immature and not good for ages 10+.