All parent member reviews for Megamind

Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive November 26, 2010

So many wrong messages in this movie Bullying,...

My husband and I went to watch it without the children just to make sure it was appropriate. After the first five minutes, we decided this was not a good movie for our children. There are many parts of the story that even this website blew right past. Here goes my list of problems: 1) Bullying is appropriate and accepted behavior and never punished. 2) Being bad because that's what your good at is accepted. 3) Becoming the "good guy" because the new "bad guy" is not as bad as you were. 4) Heroes "quitting the business" because they are tired of helping other people and want to live for themselves. 5) The humor in it is exactly what I would expect from people who write for SNL. It's sad that no one is paying attention to any of these subjects that are so negative. Sorry Will Ferrell, but I will not take me kids to see this movie.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 16 year old Written byDrRJS B November 5, 2010

I thought this movie was a charming and witty take on super-heroes and villians which turned the table on some of the genre's tropes. Most of the satire and romance went right over my first and second graders'; heads, but they enjoyed the action and the slapstick. The voice work was great across the board. Ferrell had more depth than he usually does in his live-action roles. I think older children might want to discuss why Megamind is able to turn his life around while Tighten is corrupted by power. Does it all really hinge on the love of a good woman or is it what's inside that makes the difference?
Parent of a 5 year old Written byjpmmom November 7, 2010

e.g.Okay for 7 and up but still sends a very mixed message

While at the end of the move Mega Mind became a good guy, it was a very dark route to get him there. And even then when we asked our 5 year old why he decided to be a good guy, he said it was so the girl would like him. It made being the bad guy seem fun and cool with the rock anthems and rock star type entrances. We made it into a teachable moment but our son kept telling us that Mega Mind was funny and he was a funny bad guy. So good he was not scary but not so good that he was a lovable bad guy.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymargotam November 8, 2010

He wasn't at all scared, and I totally enjoyed it

Our son, who's actually age 3, isn't scared by much. I thought Megamind was a LOT less violent than, say, the Incredibles. There's 2 more significant fighting scenes, mainly in the near-beginning and the end. Given that (and his interest in superheros and specifically, ahem, fighting), I was surprised that he was engrossed throughout. I was happily surprised to be completely entertained myself (not like that was the main objective, but a great side benefit) by pop culture references and the 80s rock music. Like the Common Sense review says, I think 90% of it flew right over his head, but afterwards we talked about it and he knew that Megamind *chose* to be good and to help protect people. It was funny to my husband and I, and we haven't heard a peep of concern from him, or witnessed any battle reenactments. (Unlike, say, when he catches part of a "real" superhero scene on TV.)
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bysarafmc November 24, 2010

A fun evening for kids and parents.

We took our 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter to Megamind in 3D, and we all had a very good time. Not as well paced as one of the best Pixar movies, but very funny, definitely original, some excellent plot twists, and a very good and subtly presented message about the uses of talent and intelligence. No potty humor, and I've seen worse violence in Tom and Jerry cartoons. The six year old was not scared at any point (she came to sit on my lap during Toy Story 3). There is a lot of affection and respect expressed in relationships as well, including the close relationship between Megamind and Minion - it isn't just a master-servant relationship, they love each other, and don't desert each other when it counts. Roxanne is a good down-to-earth female character, hard to shake up, with plenty of brains and nerve that she makes use of on her own. She doesn't fall in love with power, strength, or flash, she falls in love with character and personality. Megamind respects her and even begs for her advice. Lots of great visuals and music too, it's a spectacle worth seeing in a theater. I don't know that the 3D adds that much, but I felt that way about Avatar too.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byachilleseffect November 12, 2010

I strongly disagree with the idea that Roxanne is a positive role model. Yes, she is smart and yes, she possesses some degree of courage, but ultimately she is a weak character, cast as the stereotypical damsel in distress. She shows a bit of the spunk that so many characters like her are endowed with, but when the going gets tough, she becomes completely helpless and dependent on the male characters to rescue her. Like so many other animated films, this one is dominated by male characters. The only females are Roxanne, Megamind's mom and a school teacher. The latter two have mere seconds of screen time. Megamind and Metro Man are not entirely terrible characters, but the film is more of the same where females are concerned. With Tina Fey playing Roxanne, I had much higher hopes for that character. I just cannot recommend a film that continues the same trends as others--male dominance and weak female characters. I wish my son hadn't seen it.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bynearlyfallinstar May 16, 2011

I love this movie for the concept that good can not exist without evil and that when there is evil, good will always rise up against it. My girls are not old enough to understand this underlying theme, but it made for an enjoyable movie for me. I was disappointed in the original hero, Metro Man, but it is a conflicting idea for me. On one hand, he is selfish to let Metro City fall into peril without helping the citizens, while on the other hand, it teaches that a person's dreams and self-fulfillment are important for individual happiness. To close, this is a pleasant movie with mild violent and non-threatening flirting.
Parent Written byParentofBoyandGirl September 19, 2011

R-rated music about drugs and destruction is inappropriate for children's movie.

The music in this movie is completely inappropriate. "Sex, drugs and rock and roll" should never be appropriate music for children since they like to sing along. A children's movie full of AC/DC songs?? Heavy Metal songs for toddlers and small children is crazy. Highway To Hell, is not a children's song! There are more of the same types of songs in the movie by Ozzy Osborne, Guns and Roses. These music CDs in the store are rated R. I am furious that I bought this movie. I assumed it was "safe" based on the reviews and watched it with the kids rather than previewing it first like usual, yes, my error. My children are 8 and 10, so not too little, but those songs are never songs I would ever like for them to listen to and definitely not sing along at this age. The movie itself was okay, but the music is completely inappropriate. I have since thrown the movie in the trash.
Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written bymdpack February 7, 2011

Pretty good, nice attempt at making good out of bad

This was okay, the fact that Megamind is the "bad" guy and eventually at the end becomes the "good" guy is a nice moral for the story. Teaches kids that even though people do bad things they can change.
Parent Written bytobewunaskwun March 6, 2011

Nice Chang of Pace! A Clean Family Movie!

We were really pleasing after have rented the dvd! This movie was hilarious and almost perfectly clean. There was a kiss or two and, yes, some flirting, but it was clean and innocent, so to speak. This movie has some neat plot twists. It also has something to say about making good decisions in spite of what life may dish out. I highly recommend it! (The very youngest of children might find Minion or a couple of other characters a little creepy...only slightly though, I hope.)
Adult Written bykhan2705 November 7, 2010

Mega Awsome .... loved it.

wow loved it, a superb lighthearted animation action comedy. Its Dreamworks right, yes they did it again. awsome movie. from the trailer it looked liked a usual super hero flick with a hero, a villain, a city to safe, a girl and some nerds friends. but no i was really impressed with the story, not a Cliche at all. its new very fresh and new plot. i loved the story, screenplay was really good very gripping with tons of laughs and humor. action was fantastic, excellent visuals. as far as silly entertaining animated movie is concerned its definitely better than Alpha and omega, Shrek 4 and somehow better than Despicable me. The main character is not Metro man by the way, its Megamind, simply brilliant; flawed but lovable, we pity the guy for all the crap he took that drove him to villainy, we appreciate his intelligence while still laughing at his screw-ups and flamboyant nature. But for comic book and superhero fans, this film probably addresses square on why villains appeal, because they make the heroes look good, and if there should be the disappearance of either side, the entire sense of purpose would probably vanish, and interest waned. It is this thought that gets played out in a lot of detail in Megamind as the anti-hero struggles to find his place in society, and discover good values that far outweigh what he has been conditioned for. other characters and their voice overs been done really good. Truly one of Dreamworks best, crazy humor. good story and lovable characters. Its MEGA AWSOME i'll say. It is genuinely funny and heartfelt without seeming pretentious. The comedic moments work because they really are funny. The serious moments work because they have genuine heart - they balance solemn with sweet with sad, all without losing that honest streak that ties them together. Must watch for both kids and adults.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byFunkyMonkey April 3, 2011

Perfect for younger kids not tweens

Well it is good for the younger kids ( 5-9 ) But my daughter is 10 and doesn't like it. She is thinks it is very immature and not good for ages 10+.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

Does Metro Man die? No but can your kid wait a half hour to find out

We have seen it twice in the cinema. The first time I have to remind my son "Metro Man isn't dead. Remember we saw him playing the guitar in the trailer". Apart from that it was awesome, but my son doesn't scare easily, some of his friends would be terrified.
Parent of a 5 and 12 year old Written bychristinenicole1 March 25, 2011

Good, entertaining movie for kids and adults. The plot has a positive message and it is not too violent or scary for the 5-7 year olds. The only thing that disturbed and disappointed was the sexy portrayal of the female lead. I thought Hollywood had moved beyond the unrealistic proportioning of female cartoon characters like Barbie. Roxanne's proportions are completely unreal and that just bummed me out as the mother of a 12 year old boy and a 5 year old girl!
Adult Written byErindira September 28, 2011

Very funny

We watched this with our 2 nine year-old boys, and we all loved it. It is very funny, without the parts that might make you cringe as a parent. The animation is good, and the dialogue is hilarious.
Parent of an infant, 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byMeli B. April 7, 2011

An original score would have been better!

Good super hero movie. I liked that it was a villian that finds the desire to help others and become a hero! Great message. On the other hand I disapproved of the music. It would have been much better had they used an original score rather than the 80's rock band music. I also noticed that Roxanne had the tiniest waist imaginable. It annoyed me, but didn't break the movie. My boys all enjoyed it. My husband and I enjoyed finding adult humor in the background images, like the ark of the covenant for the villian with everything, or the "no we can't" political posters. Just a fun movie.
Adult Written byiParentReviewer March 17, 2011

A Fun Family Comedy!

Finally! A Funny, Clean and Family Friendly Comedy that the whole family can enjoy! This Movie has No toilet humor, It has humor for the adults, (Nothing too bad.) also it teaches a Very good lesson that It's not about what people look like, it's their Behavior/actions that matter. This is a fun movie to watch with your family and have a good time!
Parent Written byAltair-Avenir December 20, 2011

GR8 M00VIE

It contains one or two kisses but they don't count!
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byZarathustra October 23, 2010

Good for kids and amusing for adults.

Fast-paced animated romp presents a surprisingly clever and multi-layered take on movie/comic-book archetypes (hero, villain, damsel in distress).
Parent of a 6 year old Written bySunshinesmom November 6, 2010

No Tooth Fairy ----oops!

Cute movie--our daughter (almost 7) wasn't bothered by Metroman's death and thankfully missed Titan's line where there is no Easter Bunny & there is no Tooth Fairy. It's nice to see the bad guy turn good. And even as the bad guy, Megamind is almost likeable.