All parent member reviews for Melancholia

Parent Written byOxbow January 5, 2012

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel melancholic

This is one of those movies that really made an impression on me after watching. Yes, it's an art film, and if you enjoy a good art film this should not be missed. Without giving much away, it tells the story of a wealthy family who must deal with the fact that a rogue planet is on a collision course with earth. Don't expect an apocalyptic CGI spectacle. This ain't that kind of film. There is brief nudity, but not in a sexual way, and a suicide that occurs off screen. The specter of imminent doom may be a bit much for young viewers, but they'll probably be bored by the film's leisurely pace and won't stick around to watch the film's climax.
Adult Written byprophetess7 May 25, 2012

How to describe this movie?

This movie is not very appropriate for kids and hard for kids to understand let alone adults. You have to have quite an artistic mind to understand this movie. It's difficult to watch and yes it is quite depressing but if you like movies that tackle the harder topics then this movie is for you.
Adult Written byterra100 November 19, 2011

Beautifully shot, excellent acting, art film

This is definitely an art film that you have to have patience for. Kirsten Dunst's acting is superb. She'll be up for an Academy Award with this film, and she already won Best Actress in Cannes. It is a film with many interpretations, not just the obvious plot line. It is not a film for kids. And many adults will not enjoy this type of film. There is unnecessary nudity, but this is a Von Trier film - you'll have nudity; but it's nothing like Antichrist, from what I hear.