Parent reviews for Midway

Midway Poster Image

I think this movie of the real battle of midway while the movie is extremely violent it has positive messages and role models the movie has a blood frequently in every battle scene it does show real people who served the battle of midway in world war two

Great movie

This movie does contain drinking, smoking, violence, and more. Characters die, a plane is shown getting “ run over” by a ship, a use of f**k and much more. A minor-main character is tied to an anchor and drowned at the bottom of the sea. Over all, I would say ages 11 plus.

Just fine - a pretty good way to introduce a kid to the genre

We used this movie, in conjunction with the very fine "A Call to Spy", to introduce our son to the WWII genre. Naval and air engagements have a certain physical and emotional distance that avoids direct engagement with the suffering of the folks who are on the receiving end of the bombs and torpedoes. The movie does spend brief moments trying to recognize the impacts of violence on human beings and families, but it is tastefully done and appropriate for slightly younger audiences - but make no mistake, this is a war movie about real battles and is intensely portrayed. This is not an Avengers movie... Midway is not a hard edged commentary on the futility and cruelty of war. It is more in line with the patriotic hero worship of classic WWII movies. It is historically accurate in terms of the events that happened, but does include few Hollywood-isms to make a better or more dramatic shot. Something worth discussing with a child. Overall we felt it is a good start to the genre. There are plenty of better WWII movies out there, as has been pointed out in the other comments here, but you could certainly do worse.

Astonshingly good!

PG-13: sequences of intense war violence and some language with smoking

great movie despite what others might say

I haven't watched the other Midway movie, but I learned a lot about this battle and what lead up to the event and also what happened afterword. I gave this only 4 stars because the names for me where a bit confusing and I kept thinking who's this. But over all I thought it was great. Nothing sexual, it has a bit of bad language , but that's what happens in the military/military movies. The battle scenes were amazing. One man dies of drowning by anchor so that might be alarming for younger viewers. Over all it was an amazing movie!

GOOD MOVIE!

It's a good family movie. There are some stuff in there where a couple in bed together. There was 2 scene that showed inappropriate pictures on the wall, as the guys were talking.

Great for history lovers!

Great movie if you’re familiar with WW2 history! Loved the action and personal stories and historical accuracy.

Good Historical War Action Flick

I was pleasantly surprised by this one! Being a World War 2 history buff I’m both heavily biased towards these types of films but also highly critical and am often disappointed by many films of this genre, like that Pearl Harbor movie with Ben Affleck, which was more about bad acting, being overly dramatic and over the top action. This one felt different, in a good way. First off I like how it did it’s part to inform the audience of events that led up to this historic battle that changed the course of the war, in the US’s favor...6 months after the Pearl Harbor attack that began America’s official entry into the WW2! It didn’t just go right to the battle and skip or rush through key events that led up to it, in order to focus on the main characters, clearly the battle was the main subject here. So time spent with intimate love scenes and background stories with various characters was either nonexistent or minimal, which was very refreshing, especially for families. There was a fair amount of graphic violence, but not overly so. There were charred bodies were quick and fairly distant scenes, enemy airplanes were gunning sailors on their ships and clearly killing or hurting many but more of the aftermath was shown rather than the actual death. Sailors were also seen falling From their ships into the ocean, with a few falling into water that was burning with oil and fuel. So not for young kids. There were displays of courage and pushing forward despite improbable odds and men from both sides were shown dealing with difficulties. There were not a lot of women or diversity but this was the 1940’s. While I do like that women and minorities have been getting more and more screen time, one shouldn’t add women and minorities for diversities sake, in lieu of historical accuracy. Overall a good movie, I definitely recommended this