Parent reviews for Million Dollar Baby

Million Dollar Baby Poster Image

Mature film has caring relationships, inspirational messages

Million Dollar Baby is a very emotional and upsetting film for its PG-13 rating, not to mention the graphic and disturbing images along with the violence and language. In detail, I will be listing all of the mature elements from the film in 5 categories: VIOLENCE: In fights, opponents are viscously punched in the face and smacked onto the ground onscreen. During fights, graphic wounds are healed in detail, including a girls nose being broken and bleeding everywhere until her manager cracks it back into place. Other scenes show open wounds having alcohol put into them etc. A girl is brutally elbowed in the face until she is punched and knocked to the floor where she slams her head into a wooden stool. This is extremely graphic. A helpless character is beaten violently in the face as he attempts to fight back. In the process of helping him, another protagonist pushes the attacker away and knocks him onto the ground where he spits out a bloody tooth. The victim is shown with disturbing wounds and blood pouring from all sides of his face. A man helps a woman commit suicide by injecting her with a shot and unplugging her oxygen machine. In an attempt to kill herself, a woman bites her tongue until blood pours everywhere as she almost bleeds out and drowns. Note she is paralyzed from the neck down and this is her only escape. Overall, the violence and imagery is very strong and hard to look at. LANGUAGE: “f--k”, “s--t”, “damn”, “t-ts”, “n----r” and more are used throughout the film, sometimes as insults but never sexually. The stronger words are less frequent. SEXUAL CONTENT: A man comments on a woman’s breasts using “tits” before everyone starts to make fun of him and repeat what he said except about him. Mockingly, a man humps the floor while yelling sexual fraises in the same subject. DRUG USE: Nothing much at all with the exception of lethal injection used. THEMATIC ELEMENTS: The film is extremely hard to watch as tragic, horrible events take place with main protagonists. OVERALL: The films overall content makes it to mature for young teens, 15+ is recommended.

You forgot something.

You should change the ranking for the "sex/romance." There are scantily clad women, as usual. And I'm not talking about the boxers, I'm talking about the ring-girls. I don't understand why so much is left out in these reviews.

not rated for age

Outstanding movie but very tough to watch

This was an excellent story but it included a lot of violence. People that are sensitive to violence depicted on the screen will be upset by many of the scenes. All of the actors were believable. The script was well written.
not rated for age

My 18 year old son cried!

When you have 3 children, ages 18, 15 and 11, sometimes that younger one just has to see some movies that are really a little too adult for him. This movie is one of those, but I don't think it did any harm and we had a lot of amazing discussions afterwards. 11 year olds can have very strong opinions and surprisingly mature thoughts on values about life and death and money and what makes people have a rewarding life. I can't say more without spoing the movie. I didn't have a problem with the violence because it is a movie about boxing--the violence is contained in the ring. Its not as if people on the street are getting beat up or blown away. I think you can stretch your younger children as long as you talk openly about the issues in the movie afterwards.

Best of the Year

I thought this was the best movie of 2004. As good or better than anything Eastwood has done as a director, plus it it includes one of his best performances, and sensational work by Morgan Freeman and Hillary Swank. A terrific script by Paul Haggis. The feel is reminiscent of the best of Howard Hawk's movies. It's funny, real, and touching without being sentimental. The Directors Guild just gave Eastwood their award this year and he deserves it. I don't think American movies get any better than this.

good boxing flick

good movie some very violent moments f-word used and mouthed multipul times refrence to breasts as "tiny little mosqeto bites"15+
not rated for age

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't"

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't" means that winners act differently than losers. Losers accept the loss and refuse to fight again while winners fight even if they loose. If "winners" win, they invest even more forces into their next fight. I believe that is more about the life in general than about boxing.