All parent member reviews for Millions

Parent Written bySpudCoss August 28, 2011

A change from the usual Hollywood style of family film

This is a funny little film but quite refreshing to see a movie that isn't "Hollywood". My 10 year old boy was mildly scared in parts, probably more because of the gritty way the film is shot (you see far worse scares in the likes of harry potter etc.) but overall enjoyed it. It is unbelievable that people are upset by the 'underwear' scene. I actually appreciated this scene as it gave us a little more insight into the roles played in the family. The boys look at a breast (in a bra) and when the younger boy asks what a nipple is for the older boy replies that it's for feeding babies and remembers back to when their mother was alive and breastfeeding. In my opinion, the dialogue attached to the image made it a tender moment where the older boy was remembering their mother - It is not remotely sexual. Parents who are upset by this and who imply sexual connotations are the ones sending out the wrong message, not the film.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjillianannette March 15, 2011

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byMom-of-Two September 17, 2013

Be warned....

How are there NO STARS under the sex or language warnings?! The descriptions of each warning do not even do these areas justice. The main scene in question is when the boys are looking at a model wearing lingerie... and the bra is zoomed in on, and everything can fully be seen under the white lace bra - full screen, mind you - twice! I would have been appalled if I had walked in on my son watching this. So glad I checked it out first. And d*** is said several times. Really, how are there no stars under language, to warn a parent - this has to be an oversight. I've seen them list when a movie says crap or stupid before - so why not this word? Failure on the part of the website. Parents, be warned and make the decision for your family with full knowledge of what this movie actually contains.
Adult Written bynguymon March 21, 2011

I was so upset with this movie. I was thrown off because of the pg rating and the fact that I got it from the children's section from my local library. I normally would have just given my kids the go ahead to watch this movie. I am glad that I previewed it, because the story line (I think that the writers were trying to make some political statements, that went over my head), and the suspense would have been too much. The part that REALLY threw me for a loop was the boys looking at the bra model, and not as another viewer stated "trying to zoom in" on the nipple, but actually doing it, twice!! It had nothing to do with the plot, and made it seem like this is just what boys do! I would have been so mad had my kids seen this! Don't see this movie, I get sick of this stuff being stuck in like its no big deal, and then putting some sweet ending in that is supposed to make us feel good about the movie in the end. On a positive note I did think that the little boy in the lead did a great job.
Parent Written byeydeeof3 September 30, 2013

Warning! Don't watch.

Very low budget, hard to understand, slow moving, boring, not appropriate for anyone and I'm referring to the nudity scene which no one in my family needs to see especially my 10 year old which unfortunately did see. Turned off the movie there and cannot believe this was on the recommended list. Just because the boy wants to do good with the money we highly recommend this and overlook everything else? Desperate times we live in!
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bytanto79 June 26, 2013

Beware

There is a part in the movie where the two young boys are looking at womens breasts on the internet, trying to see nipples. They say the D word often.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written bympls_nic May 30, 2013

Finders Keepers meets Robin Hood meets Myth of Redemptive Violence

I found the movie's overall message disturbing and would not have chosen to watch it with my child if it the plot had been more accurately described in Berman's review. The take away is supposed to be that it's okay to keep stolen money if (1) you didn't steal it first but just found it after it was stolen (so second hand thievery is okay) and (2) if you decide to use the money (that isn't yours) to help the poor. A pro-theft message is not really one that I would have chosen to share with my child. There isn't any violence in the movie, but it does play into the Myth of Redemptive Violence in that it celebrates the twisted idea that what "good guys" do must be good no matter how wrong it is. Damien's supposed to be a "good guy," but he struck me as a very troubled little boy. As is, we've had some good discussions about what you should do when you find something that isn't yours.
Adult Written byswehacsw3 April 9, 2008

a little wierd and scary

Rented this based on all the good reviews.....the accents made it hard to understand, the plot was a little strange, and the bad guy sneaking into the little boys' room gave my 8 year old the heebie jeebies at night for over a month....had to have a light on when he went to bed so he could see if anyone came into his room. Just an okay family film.
Parent Written bycmwelsh September 7, 2014

Your five star rating makes me question this website

This movie was VERY SCARY for a nine year old, and I didn't perceive how it was so highly rated. We ended up turning it off before the ending (didn't care to know and could probably predict). I have always trusted this website to guide our choices, but this choice compelled me to write my first review. It was a real miss on every level, and I would hope that the editors would give this one a second look: cheesy graphics, pirated scenes from "My Life As a Dog" - a wonderful movie about maternal grief, unlikeable characters. Honestly, I could go on and on.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykrystinalyon June 29, 2010

Loved having a quirky film that my 12 year old son and I could enjoy together. I agree with one of your reviewers that the scene with the boys looking at women in lingerie was unnecessary in an otherwise pitch perfect film. Lots to discuss and the younger brother's character is a delight. I was worried about the spooky burglar but my son took it in his stride...scene with ghost of mother made me cry (not my son though...)
Adult Written byonehappyfamily April 9, 2008

A cute movie except for one scene that ruined it!!!

Had alot going on, with younger brother seeing imaginary saints, the brothers trying to keep the money a secret and trying to spend it too. It was a cute movie except for one scene! The part that was very unnecessary and ruined it for our family is when the boys are shopping online and the older brother shows his brother a womens lingerie site and then they zoom up on the models nipples. I always wonder why they put stuff in like that. Do they do it for the Adults? I for one don't appreciate it! Luckily we watched with our kids and saw it coming and where able to fast forward so the kids did not see. It otherwise would have been a great movie that the kids could watch by themselves anytime. Everything else was PG rated, no cussing and no other sexual scenes.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byH2Clark February 16, 2014

Made us think, even the next day

Good Movie. Went to bed thinking about the movie, money, and it's value. Woke up the next day still talking about it.
Parent Written bybill colins July 16, 2011

You should see this movie

the movie is interesting. The lingerie site, nipple thing is just what kids do given the chance so I dont think its out of place but if you cotton wool your kids (and yourself) from reality you might be uncomfortable. The kids made good conversation following this movie figuring out a few of the complexities. Definite rewatch on the cards.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykellystp November 19, 2010

scary for younger kids, disappointed

I was surprised that this was recommended family film for everyone to enjoy. Menacing, stalking thief was too scary for the 7 year old. Accents were impossible for her as well. Complex themes are introduced such as adults have flawed ethics, but they aren't really dealt with. Did enjoy the quirkiness, but the plot seemed fractured.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byTradsud July 14, 2010

Parent Written byib4u March 5, 2010

Parent of a 4, 9, and 14 year old Written bycontedorf July 27, 2009

Not quite for the under 10 set

Very good film, and violence isn't overt, but burglar character is way too sinister, and the sexual overtones are a bit too rich for the 9 year old rating given here.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byroyroyroy April 9, 2008

Great story, great values and fun for kids and adults: good Christmas film

This is a one of a kind fable set in modern times. The hero is the younger of two sons of a single father. All three are dealing with the recent loss of the mother, a topic which is handled with great sensitivity and, ultimately, hope. There is a mildly menacing villain but no actual violence and minimal suspense so it's probably not advisable for under age 8. It also rests on an undercurrent of christianity- the boy has semi-comical visions of saints, but it's not really a religious film. Avoid it only if that would really offend you- otherwise this film is a gem. It does take place at Christmastime and has strongly anti-commerical sentiments so a great choice for a movie to see with your kids the week before Christmas.
Adult Written bytreecropper April 9, 2008

Our favorite Christmas movie!

This movie is a little hard to understand at first because of the British accents, but it is well worth watching. The message regarding what giving means is well-done -- intelligently and creatively done. This movie is just quirky enough to really grab your attention. The whole family (ages 8 and above) enjoyed this movie and talked lots about it afterwords.