Parent reviews for Minority Report

Violent sci-fi detective movie isn't for the faint of heart.

Adult Written byOneVeryLongUsername March 5, 2015

"Minority Report" - Parental and Artistic Review.

Sexual Content: Opening scenes intertwine snippets of passionate kissing and a brutal stabbing. (It turns out that a man discovers his wife bedding someone else). A holographic recording of John's ex-wife shows her wearing a nightie and enticing him to come to bed. While mechanical police drones (known as spyders) search an apartment building, the camera flits overhead, spying on people in their homes (one couple is having sex). Another hologram shows a man's sexual fantasy (the images are brief and distorted, but the sexual connotations are clear). Suggestive dialogue includes a reference to getting "laid" and even references the desires a man has for his cousin. 5.8 out of 10. Violent/Gory Content: Disturbing, disjointed images of future murders play across police video screens. Drownings. Stabbings. Shootings. Strangulations. There's also a lot of violence while John runs from his former colleagues. Personal jetpacks allows for high-speed, airborne combat, raising the pursuit's stakes. John slams one of the cops against a wall and puts a gun to his chin (later he breaks a mirror with another man's head and points a gun at him, too). Stealing an officer's "sick stick," John immediately uses it, causing the victim to projectile vomit. Shockwave guns throw men across rooms, but futuristic methods of violence quickly give way to old-fashioned fisticuffs. At least two men are shot in the chest (blood spurts and oozes). There is also a suicide. 7.1 out of 10. Profanity: 1 "f" word, about 9 "s" words and at least 7 "hells," 5 "damns," 1 "ass," 1 use of "laid" and 1 use of "buggered." 2 middle fingers are given (1 on each hand). Religious exclamations include at least: 6 uses of "Oh, God," 2 each of "Jesus Christ" and "My God," and 1 use each of "For Christ's sake," "Jesus," "Oh, my God" and "God." 5.2 out of 10. Substance Use: John is addicted to a futuristic substance called "clarity." He breathes in the drug using what looks like a modified asthma inhaler. While his doping is illegal and frowned on by officers who find out about it, John never comes clean and the issue is dropped without resolution. Also, there's a futuristic ad shown for beer, and alcohol is consumed by various characters. 4.9 out of 10. Conclusion: Minority Report is one of Steven Spielberg's many masterpieces. It has a great story, good script, fantastic performances, well-developed characters and amazing visual effects. I highly recommend this film and I give it 8.3 out of 10.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008

Interesting watch--love Spielberg

The violence in this movie was pretty grotesque and the world is gritty and unappetizing. the first 3/4 of the movie is pretty standard action flik, but its the last 1/4 that makes this movie incredibly worth it. the ending is an unsuspected twist and the message and meaning we are left with is breathtaking. Spielberg is, as usual, knockout. The creativity of this movie is a lot of fun. If you're a fan of dystopia-like movies and books or enjoy ones that make you think, this is definitely worth it.
Adult Written byElmo9607 March 20, 2009

Fine for teenagers, a fun ride into the future!!

I really enjoyed this movie, however, I have seen it multiple times and still cannot stand to watch the eyeball operation! Beware: if you are squeamish about vomit, there is a highly visible scene where the character vomits during a fight. Overall it is quite entertaining and the special effects are amazing!
Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

Comparitive to the Matrix

This was a great movie. It was somewhat similar to the Matrix in a few ways, but not as violent and just as fun. There wasn't anything really bad here, and the movie kept you on your seat almost all the way through. Thankfully it wasn't a Vanilla Sky 2.
Adult Written byelgoodo5 April 9, 2008

Amazing, but intense, sci-fi flick

This was indeed a great film. The violence is graphic, and there is some heavy stuff about the guy and his kid. But other than that, the movie is really amazing.
Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008

Great Movie!!!

The violence is pretty brutal at the begining but later on it lessens. Except for the eyeball thing. Kinda scary but most any kid 11 and up can watch it. Lots of commercialism if thats a problem. He goes into a futuristic gap.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Don't bother

Unless you feel Tom Cruise can do no wrong, avoid this movie. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't good.
Parent Written bysallyj1 June 4, 2016

Don't let a child (under 15) watch this!!!

Just watched this with my 11 year old daughter. Really wish I hadn't. For her it was a very disturbing film, even I was a bit freaked out by it although I do think it was a good film. ALOT of violence, the murder scenes are disturbing. The fear and sadness in the 'pre cogs' was disturbing to see. The drug use wasn't great. Actual eyeballs being removed..... Very graphic!!!! But perhaps the worst thing was the very emotionally disturbing storyline of the main characters son being kidnapped. The detail of this throughout the film my daughter found very disturbing. Was he dead? Where is he now? And the false murderer of the son with photos of lots of children etc. really- please don't let your child watch this film until you are sure of the content!!! My daughter loves watching films such as divergent series, hunger games, and so on and had no problem. This was on another level.

Drinking, drugs & smoking