Parent reviews for Missing Link

Visually dazzling adventure is earnest, sometimes intense.

Adult Written byHollieben April 7, 2019

Do not take young kids to see this movie

We won pre screening passes to this movie before it’s release date. There were balloon artists, face painters, sticker and coloring book giveaways- it was clear this movie was targeted towards young kids. From the very beginning the movie takes a terrible turn. A man goes on a quest to find Sasquatch just to “fit in” to an elite club. The club owner does not like this and hires an assassin to kill him. There are Wild West style shoot outs, with revolvers and shot guns. They are literally trying to kill each other. There is even a scene where the Addison goes after them with an axe. The main character breaks into someone’s house to steal a map. The woman of the house tries to shoot him. Later this same woman and him are drinking wine together. They finally reach their destination, alive, but not for lack of trying, when the Yeti reject them, call them names, including redneck, and toss them into a pit to die. While they do escape , another gun battle ensues and people fall to their death off a bridge. The movie has no redeeming qualities what so ever. There was no good message, in fact when they leave the yetis the Sasquatch calls them names and sticks his tongue out at them. The humor is minimal and poorly written. My kids are 14 and 12 and I was barely comfortable with them watching this. I can’t imagine the parents in there that had 3 and 5 year olds. Do not take your children to see this wretched movie.

Adult Written bynduns April 11, 2019

Absolute genius (though maybe not for the young ones)

I'm just gonna say it right now. This is one of the most brilliant films I have ever seen. This movie is chocked full of wit and charm and great writing. Every joke lands perfectly. But on top of that, the story and characters are great. The heart of the film comes from the relationship between its three leads and it is handled perfectly. I'm even gonna go so far as to say this might be my favorite Laika Pictures film. It feels weird saying that, too, as this is a pretty big departure from what they usually produce. Whereas their four previous films (Coraline, Paranorman, Boxtrolls and Kubo and the Two Strings. Felt like I had to point that out since only one of these actually succeeded at the box office) centered around kids in a dark environment, this film is centered around adults in an environment that, while scary in places, isn't quite as dark as what we're used to. But even so, it still lends its way to some genuine tension. The final climax to this film is one of the most intense I have ever seen, though the major standout moment for me is a scene that takes place on a ship. I won't spoil anything, but this sequence contains one of the most visually creative moments I have ever seen in film. On top of that, this movie also contains one of my favorite lines to come from a comedy. I won't spoil what it is, but it comes up near the end and it's so on the nose, it's kind of beautiful. All in all, I strongly recommend this one, and I really hope this becomes Laika's second successful film. It would be a tragedy to see this go down the same road as Boxtrolls and Kubo, you know, only really getting attention after its best animated feature nomination. (Well, okay, Paranorman did perform alright, though if what I've heard is correct, a film has to make at least twice its budget worldwide to be considered a success)

Though okay, if there's one thing I agree with the naysayers on, it's that no, I don't completely recommend this for young kids. And to be fair, I don't think this was intended for a young crowd. Keep in mind that film directors generally have no say in how their films are advertised. Even though the marketing may imply a young target demographic, that doesn't necessarily mean there was a young target demographic in mind. Ever wonder why most trailers for animated films are super misleading and often make them look dumber than they actually are? Because marketing teams don't respect kids and parents enough to trust them to see a film that's marketed as intelligent. And it saddens me to see reviews on this site that, well, kinda prove them right. I'd personally recommend this for an older crowd, but even then, there's nothing wrong with showing kids smart and mature writing every now and then granted you know what you're getting yourself into. Either way, I do kind of understand the frustration from the two reviewers before me, but don't blame the film makers. Blame the marketing team. The film makers had nothing to do with those marketing strategies.

Adult Written byDdaisy April 30, 2019

Harsh beginning

I was not given the option of no age group, on the review questions.
It is not for anyone. At all. So boring. The beginning is a direct insult to creationists, and the elderly. They show verry old men in a group and communicate that they believe people came from people. They are portrayed as crazy, violent and intentionally suppressing evolution. After that, the movie was bad because it was simply poorly done. We were continually waiting for the good part. It never came. We were so bored with it (11yr old, 8 yr old, and myself), I was groaning and wondering how much longer. It has violence, cruelty, and attempted murder.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byThePooh April 28, 2019

Regret seeing in theater

So much violence and cringe-worthy. Hardly any good messages and I wish we had left the theater.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byTwinMom76 April 20, 2019

Skip this one

Wish I had known about this site before seeing this movie. Took two almost 7 year old boys to see it yesterday. It was pretty violent for a PG rating. There are gun battles, lots of hitting, punching , chasing and cruel behavior. Kids not impressed. I’d pass on this one.

Adult Written byMOVIE C. May 27, 2019

Adult Written byJRoachy April 14, 2019

I'm impressed

After watching the trailers for this movie, I was worried when watching the movie that it wasn't gonna be AS funny as advertised... But honestly, they did a FANTASTIC job with this movie. The movie is twice as funny as the trailer advertised it to be. I'd DEFINITELY go see Missing Link again. One of the funniest animated movies I seen in a while!!

Adult Written bymovieman48 April 8, 2019

Everywhere and nowhere

I came to this movie with high hopes given certain reviews but came away disappointed. The animation is fine (of its typed there is some humour, though of the English Public School type. But the problem is the storyline which seems to go everywhere and nowhere. I also thought that, although there is nothing objectionable, that kids would be bored by it as they simply would not get the humour, which is adult. Mildly amusing but a disappointment. Sorry!
Adult Written byPinkarray May 10, 2019

This film has a missing link in the quality of the script

I'm surprised people like this film. They must be wearing rose-colored glasses because 1. It's Laika 2. It has excellent animation 3. They want to support stop-motion films. If you give it to any other animation studio, it would get lower ratings. This film has no appeal to adults, only aiming at the under-10 demographic, it is full of cliches and even some lowbrow humor. Here, Laika substitutes heart, soul, whimsy, and darkness for characters with little chemistry, unoriginality, and the safeness of a Disney film. Sir Lionel is unlikeable and Adelina is annoying and has this weird character arc where she goes from hating the main character's guts to joining him on his adventure and eventually falling in love, why would anyone be so stupid to befriend a stranger who broke into their house?! None of the jokes are that funny, they either do lowbrow humor or gags that you probably seen in other children's cartoons. I can see why this film has bombed, it didn't look any good from the trailers and besides a few thrilling action sequences and beautiful animation, you're not missing anything special from not watching it. One of Laika's most disappointing films.
Adult Written byMelissamomm March 1, 2020

Good for older kids

It's a lovely funny story, it does have violence( fights in a bar and shooting guns ) so if your kid is easily scared, you should wait until he is older.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byBethany H. January 18, 2020

We enjoyed it.

Our family of four, including 7yo twins, enjoyed this movie. The boys giggled off and on and my husband noticed the visual references to Indiana Jones. We both enjoyed the many different and interesting camera angles. The story involves more violence, guns and drinking than many kids films do these days, but if you're comfortable with that for your kids then it should be ok. I would say the guns and drinking is on par with the Muppets but there is more violence in this film.
Adult Written byT J September 14, 2019
Parent of a 7-year-old Written bytigerquoll September 13, 2019

Funny, but violent and scary at times

I didn’t do much research before bringing this home to watch, and my wife and I were both a little surprised at the amount of shooting and fighting. Nearly every conflict is resolved by violence.

There are definitely stereotypes here, and not enough female characters, although the ending does soften that slightly.

Zach Galifianakis is hilarious and perfectly restrained as Mr. Link.

Parent of a 7 and 11-year-old Written byHolly W. August 5, 2019

Indiana Jones for Younger Audience

BEAUTIFUL adventure film with a simplistic story about belonging. My 7 and 11 year olds loved it, as did many of their friends. They've seen plenty of movies like Star Wars and Marvel movies to not be bothered so much by violence, and there's very little of it in this film by comparison. It's all kind of slapstick; the villains are buffoons and you never actually see anyone get shot. The story takes the characters on a journey across the world, each region stunningly depicted. The craftsmanship in this film is of the same caliber as the other Laika films and the story is lighter fare compared to the darker stories they've been known to tell. I think it appeals to a much wider audience, but with that comes more criticism that it may not be exactly to any one person's taste. Laika is not using the same formula as Pixar or Dreamworks, or much of any formula at all as far as I can tell. If your kids have never seen a gun on screen and you don't think they're ready for that, then you may want to prepare to have a discussion with them or wait a little longer. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider there to be anything inappropriate about this film for any age. There are good lessons about acceptance and belonging, and beyond that it's a masterpiece of stop motion filmmaking. The story was a bit too linear and lulled a bit for me but at least it wasn't a constant flow of pop culture references and it held together ok overall, so I'd give that part 3.5 stars; it's the visuals that send it over the top and my kids enjoyed it so much that I have to add another couple of stars. Even if Laika's movies never appeal to mainstream audiences, we need more of them!

Adult Written byKalita July 27, 2019

Dark, violence and nothing positive

We rented this movie and I regret not checking the reviews here first. Our 4-year old asked us to fast forward several scenes that were scary. I should have turned it off the first time she asked. There were some settle dark messages throughout the movie. It is not kid friendly.

Adult Written byKhat M. July 26, 2019

So many positive characteristics...and really, really funny.

I was very impressed by the positive, funny story- animation or tech is excellent and my children liked the adventure. My favorite part was that the female lead didn't need romance to complete her life- she went off on her own adventure.

Adult Written byJengril July 15, 2019

Lots of guns and violence

Tried watching with my children, very disturbed with the number of guns and violence. Did not finish.

Parent Written byLisa W. April 24, 2019

Great movie with some lessons for everyone

This was a very good movie in spite of the heavy use of guns and hunting for sport. The main character wants to join a prestigious hunting/adventure club with a bunch of stuffy older men who turn out to be faking or embellishing their own stories for popularity. He is desperate to make a big find and prove himself. He starts out not caring at all about the wild animals or Yeti that he seeks. During the movie he has a change of heart when he realizes the Yet is smart and has feelings, he makes it his job to find the Yeti a home among his people. It doesn't go well and there is a lot of cruelty at the place he thinks he will fit in with others similar to him. They don't accept him and they barely escape from a terrible hunter in a scene that is a bit horrifying. The "bad" guy falls to his death and an icicle plunges into him as he falls. There is no blood but it's gruesome and it's apparent what's happening. My kids did not like this part. I really wish these movies wouldn't go overboard with the violence, we all get what's happening it doesn't have to be so overt. The stop motion animation was amazing, another win for Laika studios. They also brought us The Box Trolls, Kubo and the Two Strings and Coraline. All of these movies were good but were for older kids as there were heavy topics, cruelty, and violence. I usually bring my kids after I've researched the movie a bit and then we talk about it before and after. I always encourage them to talk about what age they felt the movie was for and what they liked and didn't like. We see every animated and G or PG movie that comes out. Once in a while I will bring them to a PG-13 if I've researched it a bit (although as you'll see with my Shazam review, I didn't check that out first in error) We love movies and even if they aren't great we love to discuss them and go over what we thought or what lessons were there.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byLLPP2019 April 22, 2019

Disappointing

My 7 year old was bored and disappointed. The humor was geared towards older children and he was uncomfortable with the violence.

Adult Written byArele April 21, 2019

Too Much Gun violence

What could have been a good story about the explorer and the Sasquatch becoming friends is overshadowed by adult humor (including a joke about nipples), an explorer obsessed with fitting in, and gun violence at every turn including threatening an old lady and then her infant grandchild. Skip this - there are much better movies out there.