Kid reviews for Moana

Great characters, memorable music, some monsters/scares.

Teen, 13 years old Written byaml4001 November 26, 2016

Great Movie!

This movie is probably my favourite Disney movie now. It is great for families, and is very meaningful. Moana is another Disney princess. But in the movie it portrays her as a girl who wants to save her tribe. Moana doesn't depend on a prince to come save her, she is the hero. She even says in the movie that she is not a princess. On the outside she may not look like one, but deep inside she really is. Little girls watch other movies in which the princess are born rich, and need a prince. But in Moana, it's about Moana saving her tribe, and Moana is so simple. She is a perfect role model for girls to look up to. In this movie it shows the bad guy (SPOILER ALERT) being all scary, only because someone took her heart (yes the bad guy is a she). But then Moana restores the heart to the bad guy and she turns into a beautiful woman who turns into an island of nature. This is one message that the movie sends- There is good inside everyone. In terms of scariness and violence, I would give this movie a two only because the lava monster may be scary to younger viewers. Other than that this movie was perfect.

Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2016

Great movie!!!

This movie is really awesome. For kids who have a fear of the ocean, you might want to wait a little bit because there are a few scenes where there is a storm at sea. Also there is a crab who is obsessed with shiny stuff who is kinda creepy-looking, and at the end they battle a big lava monster and Maui cuts off his arm but all it is is fire, so no blood or gore is shown. Men are seen shirtless throughout the movie. A young woman cries as her grandmother dies in bed, and Maui tells the story of how when his mother saw him she threw him into the ocean, but this movie has great messages about believing in yourself, and even the scariest parts have some humor to lighten the mood. I also love that Moana refuses to be called a 'princess'.

Teen, 14 years old Written byFifi da ducky November 25, 2016

This Movie is AMAZING

This movie is great. It has a very positive vibe and very good graphics and music. It may be a bit scary at some parts to young viewers due to the lava god but all is resolved at the end and it has a satisfying ending.

Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2016

Great role model, Not much to worry about

I think it's really only the scary parts that earn a 4+. It's not too scary, and for "sexy stuff"/drugs and alcohol there's really nothin to worry about and you can follow what Commen Sense said. The one thing I did notice that was not included in the review was one part where Maui has a shark head but doesn't realize it himself an Moana is staring at him and he says "You seem a little distracted", but I'm not sure if that really meant anything or if I heard wrong. I don't think it would be something kids would pick up on, though so there's nothing to worry about. Kids MIGHT ask about how Moana says "Son of a..." but you don't get to hear what she says afterwards, but it depends on how curious your child is.

Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2016

Perfect! Mild scariness...

This was a well animated movie, and it was fun! At a few parts, as the wimp I am, I closed my eyes. Though nobody dies forever, it was sad at a few parts. An example is when Moana puts her head against the lava monster's head; this put tears in everyone's eyes. The whole scene "I AM MOANA" is very upsetting. I loved this movie, just needed to dial down the scary/sad-ness.

Teen, 16 years old Written bywolfbella14 December 24, 2016

Loved this movie, Disney's done it again!

Although I am a teen, 16 years old, I absolutely love this movie so much. The songs, with help from Lin Manuel Miranda, are absolutely amazing. They're catchy, have meaning, and will stick in your head for a few days after! And this movie is just SO POWERFUL. I love the ending because it truly sends out some deep meaning. There are a few scares with monsters, but otherwise your child should be fine!

Teen, 13 years old Written byclairerawisara56 December 5, 2016

Kid, 6 years old November 26, 2016

Teen, 17 years old Written bypartystartwhenilogin December 6, 2016

oml yay sooooo gooood

i'm really happy after watching Moana i think it is such a good movie not only is it entertaining but it is a good influence on kids to because the movies set is based in the outdoors it influence those young kids that want to be like the characters to go outside. Also for all the young girls that want to be like them they don't have to be a princess they can just be who they are, The movie is inspirational,entertaining,funny,emotional and it is a little intense with good suspense. i would always rate it 5 stars and i think disney did a great job, this is definitely better than frozen i think all ages will like it and i think this movie will become pretty big once it is out and almost everyone has seen it.Even though it may have a few scary parts in it i think that this is good because it shows that there is some bad things in the world or that there will always be a few bumps on the road and that there is always a way to fix them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byZombieslayer6567 November 23, 2016

Really good and Funny musical, Amazing work again Disney

I really loved this movie. It does have some parts that would scare littler ones. Also Dwayne Johnson has a really good singing voice.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybrooke.marus December 20, 2016

Breathtaking CG, Catchy Music, Inspirational Message

This movie is great: it's beautiful, the music is nice and fun, and it's good for little kids too. Moana is an excellent role model for people of every age. Overall amazing movie. There are some scary scenes but the resolution makes it worth it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byThePrettyChillDude December 10, 2016

It's awesome!

There's a bit of violence like the Te Ka scene which might frighten some children but it's a good hearted movie which teaches alot about friendship and teamwork!

Teen, 15 years old Written byPipeCine December 18, 2016

A Seesaw of Dissimilar Components

It has been a legendary year for big Walt Disney Studios, again. Each year, studios such as Sony Pictures and Warner Bros struggle against economic and creative vicissitudes around its films. Universal Pictures had prevailed in 2015 with record $6.89 billion, mostly provided by "Jurassic World" ($1.67 billion), "Furious 7" ($1.5 billion), "Minions" ($1.1 billion) and "Fifty Shades of Grey" ($571 million). Although Disney did not overtake to its main contender with the registered profits from last dates of December in 2015 ("Star Wars"), 2016 will be its year for establishing its own record. Recent articles report that Disney (owner of Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm) can surpass the record imposed by Universal last year considering that five of its released motion pictures are present in top-grossing movies of 2016. Adding the deposit of money of its hits in the year, the company sets a total of $5.851.4 billion (November 4, 2016), having pending exciting movies such as "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" and the selfsame "Moana", which aims to be another great success, both economic as critical. "Moana" is the 56th Disney animated feature film after "Zootopia", at the beginning of the year. Directed with atticism, harmony and deep deferences by the Polynesian culture by seasoned pair-director John Musker and Ron Clements ("The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin", "The Princess And The Frog"), the newest treasure of the factory follows Moana (Auli'i Cravalho), a brave young falling in love with wonders in the ocean. She lives accompanied by her sensitive mother Sina (Nicole Scherzinger), her over-protective father Tui (Temuera Morrison) and her former navigator tribe in the radiant island of Motunui—located in the most westerly place in Chile, in life real,— they have lodged there once a nautical misfortune caused absolute cease of their trips on the sea. However, Mother Nature seems to annihilate crops and imposing beauties in which they live, by which, Moana is driven to set sail in search of Maui (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson)—the demigod who stole the precious stone from the heart of nature,— for giving back the beautiful gem to its home, causing the growth of needy groceries and nature. As is recurrent in the films of the study, Clements and Musker's road movie/ buddy movie will place the duo protagonist in more than one risky and brilliant adventure, forging naturally a spontaneous and classic friendship. What most stands out here is that we don't have a "Princess" itself—even so she proceed from powerful parents,— we don't have a woman of small waist, albino skin, silky hair, there is also no stepmothers or perfidious witches, there are no enchanted castles; however, the best is there's no love interest, quite the contrary, we have an essential story of female emancipation, maturity, and fellowship. Like the best Disney movies, "Moana" is electrifying in its traditionalism. From the first moment to the last, the film is a profusion of vividness, verism, and buoyant pictures, reaching optic magnetism that got "Finding Nemo" and "The Good Dinosaur". The textures, looks, styles, volumes and dimensions of each well-prepared features are the real links allowing to bring the story with raging incentive from adult or child audience. Ocean's life—the water is one of the characters more complicated of conceiving in computer-animated fantasy films,—marine flora and fauna—although they are not too visible, What we watched is impressive,— greenish environment of the island, the crafted visuals to Polynesian culture, Moana's curls, Maui's tattoos, everything, everything absolutely has a beautiful extravagance visual. If it were for its realistic images, this would be an instant masterpiece. The Achilles' heel comes from its screenplay written by the vast crew members (8 screenwriters). Because, the story has been related incessantly in previous animated projects; this time, it is the same essence merged into radiant pictures and even though she is the most distant in princess movies, it does not save to feel repetitive. Throughout the feature film, the effort—and the lassitude—is remarkable since they wished to have original and entertaining situations, such as the descent into the monsters world, nevertheless, trivialities of the genre are palpable. Rather than palpable are its grueling references—no, we are not talking about the 'easter eggs', and by the way, I only caught one: Sven from "Frozen",—the selfsame directors confessed using even some of the material from their prior works. References from the apocalyptic "Mad Max" by George Miller to the vibrant "Mulan" by Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook. Unfortunately, these reminiscences do not bring nostalgia to our minds, they bring certain cynicism when trying to confuse us. This is the best original motion picture soundtrack of Disney in years. Which is led by American actor, playwright, composer, rapper, and writer Lin-Manuel Miranda, who has monopolized lately the public points of attraction starring and creating in the Broadway musicals "In the Heights" and "Hamilton"—especially by this last one. Although, many English-speaking viewers attended to movie theaters for seeing "Moana" for two reasons primarily—leaving most important aspects aside—: the first one, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who lends his voice to Maui and the second one, by acclaimed Miranda's compositions, and although some of the star songs are of his authorship ("How Far I'll Go", "You're Welcome"), Opetaia Foa'i collaborated writing "We Know The Way" and Mark Mancina composed part of pleasant soundtrack ("Te Fiti Restored", "If I Were the Ocean"). It would not be a surprise to see coming nominations at full speed for such great achievement, simply beautiful. "Moana" from Disney is a delightful journey to open ocean, it is inquisitively a rigorous work. Our aural and optical receivers will experience an unimaginable wonders feast, nonetheless, its narrative and treatment are not at the same level than artistic area. There is no doubt that kids and adult going to enjoy the adventures of the new and less conventional Disney princess, and although the factory is trying to break slowly modern community's unshakable taboos, there's still a long way to go. Disney, thanks for providing pure films, however, they can always be improved further, and they have extravagant opportunities here.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTalkLessSmileMore December 13, 2016

Astounding!

Moana is an incredible blend of beautiful animation, amazing Lin-Manuel-Miranda songs, and relatable, simply hilarious characters. The only faults are that it's very cliché, they didn't take the opportunity to work more Hawaiian culture into the movie (such as getting more Hawaiian voice actors and replacing the made-up monsters with Hawaiian legend ones), a lot of the characters look almost exactly the same (such as the villagers), a bunch of the characters are extremely dimwitted, I didn't see enough of that ADORABLE PIGLET, and a lot of the songs end and start either very abruptly or very awkwardly. But, thanks to Lin Manuel and the other music composer, the songs are still amazing. And very catchy! I love how Maui, the demigod, shapeshifter, hero to all, says, "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess." And then Moana denies it, saying firmly that she is a chief's daughter, not a princess. It's truly a landmark in Disney's productions. Moana is very heartfelt and I will hopefully show it to my own children when I grow up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCarlley April 4, 2017

What I think of The movie monana

I don't think this is a good movie. It has shows ininprorate commentary or suggests to inappropriate commentary. One of the main characters urinate the "ocean". Monana grandmother dies and comes back and basically tells your children to believe in things that are truly not there I hate this movie it makes

Teen, 14 years old Written byslick_fox December 16, 2016

Very nice for the disney classic collection! SPOILERS AHEAD

i saw this 1 day after the movie came out and here is what i think- (SPOILERS), first be careful if you bring sensitive children to the movie, Moana's grandma dies in the semi-beginning of the movie. there are also very heart warming moments of this movie. there is violence, but don't worry, it isn't like killing violence. just mild violence, like punching with no gore at all. language is mild, like they say "stupid" there is this part I remember where Moana was going to mention the b-bomb because she said "son of a-" but she was interrupted. also the lava monster might scare younger kids. it is a really nice movie, and i recommend it, but i think zootopia is better, because the story wasn't really well written like zootopia.

Kid, 8 years old December 19, 2016

OMG, The quality of animation.

This movie is amazing,I might want to see it again.But don't get me wrong this is for kids.Maybe some Crude humor here and then but,I rate this G.

Kid, 6 years old August 20, 2017

Moana a review

Sipa dipa loves the movie loved the crab the because I'm shiny song and lots of other songs the wrong thing is that it's animated on computer I wish it was hand drawn.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoolpool785 May 12, 2017

Only seen it half-way through, but good so far

I originally only wanted to see this because it had Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in it, But turned out to be good entirely (so far). I left off wear they escape the giant crab guy. Moana is a strong female role model and learns to work with Maui, despite a bumpy start with their friendship. This has lots of laughs, one of my favorites is when Maui jumps into the portal to the monster dimension to get his magical fish-hook back, and yells "I am still falling!!!" This is surprisingly action packed for a children's Disney film. Violence involves Maui's fish-hook in combat, coconut-like pirates firing arrows, giant crab attack, lava monsters, etc. Many scenes of peril. In the monster dimension, Moana is almost eaten by a lizard-like creature (She is saved by a plant that eats the lizard). The giant crab guy also tries to eat her, AND Maui (Maui saves Moana, and she returns the favor). The crab guy talks about eating his own grandma, but is mainly played for humor than "threat." But it's no worse than any other Disney film. The only iffy thing is that Moana wears a bikini-like outfit, and as a toddler, she wore no torso. A kid flirts with Moana by doing a Michael Jackson-style dance and makes a kiss-face at her. Moana almost calls Maui a "Lying son of a b*tch," but is cut off before she can finish. This is a good film for families, but have a talk with your kids about the peril/action/scary scenes. Fine for families with ages 6+

Teen, 13 years old Written byMluvs2sk8 March 16, 2017

MOST AMAZING DISNEY MOVIE -- please read for details

I could go on and on about how wonderful this movie is, how amazing Moana is, how the soundtrack is moving, and how they portrayed Samoan culture near perfect, but I know CSM readers don't want to hear that. I never do. First of all, I want you to know that I care about readers and I'm not going to go on obsessing over Frozen or something (when really, it's the worst movie EVER). I'm going to list everything that could be particularly upsetting, tense, or unacceptable to kids. If you don't want spoilers, don't read this. 1. In the beginning, Tala tells the story of the heart of Te Fiti and how Maui stole it. She ALSO tells the story of Te Ka, who is a gigantic lava monster who looks like a woman and crawls like a spider. (If you don't believe me, look up a clip.) 2. There is a scene where Moana goes out on the ocean with Pua and is swept under the waves and struggles for a minute or two. Remind kids that neither she or Pua will die. 3. Moana's mother (thank goodness her mother didn't die!) tells her a story (in flashback format) of how her father's friend drowned, but they don't show him dying, really. 4. Tala leads Moana to a cavern where she learns about her ancestors. That part isn't scary, but it is a little spooky and mysterious. I mentioned this because I know little kids tend to have big imaginations. Remind kids that this is a good part. 5. Shortly after, Tala weakens but SHE DOESN'T DIE ONSCREEN. Moana and her father run to the hut and Tala whispers instructions to her about the heart of Te Fiti. Moana runs out singing and shortly after she leaves the island, a sting ray rises out of the mountains and sails under her boat, leaving a magical streak. (Earlier her grandmother says, "I'm going to come back as one of these, or I got the wrong tattoo." The sting ray is her spirit.) 6. Maui and Moana are confronted by Kakamoras, which are coconut pirates. They are funny and not scary. But Maui does say once, "They're just gonna kill ya!" Kids might take this seriously. (Also, if you pause it when they all look at Moana, there is one Kakamora who's face is painted like Baymax!!) 7. Maui and Moana go to Tamatoa's lair. At the top of the mountain, Maui says, "It can only be opened with a human sacrifice." Moana gasps. Then he says, "Kidding! Can't you take a joke?" Also, Maui calls his mini-Maui a name. 8. Several parts. Upon entering "The Realm Of Monsters", there is a first disgusting one who looks freaky and sucks Moana up with his long tongue, then another Venus-fly-trap-looking one bites his head off and Moana falls down trapped in part of his tongue and runs away from it. Total time: 12 seconds. 9. Bats, and a dinosaur thing. The scary one is a freaky (don't even know how to describe) crawling thing with a mask-looking face, and it comes toward Moana before being shot up by an underwater geyser. None of my little cousins liked that guy, and even I thought he was creepy. (That monster was apparently supposed to be Flash, from Zootopia, but I don't see any resemblance.) 10. Tamatoa. He's a funny/menacing crab monster, and I'll put the parts in order. First, Maui mentions that he chopped one of his legs off with his hook (you can see it if you look closely). Then in the song he says "I'm shiny like a wealthy woman's neck" and slices his claw across his throat. Moana reacts. 11. Tamatoa threatens to eat Moana for about eight seconds ("I just love free food, and you look like seafood...SEAFOOD..."). 12. Then he says "You will die die die now it's time for me to take apart your aching heart" and also ".Soak it in cause it's the last you'll ever see..." 13. In the end of the song Maui pushes apart his jaws before Moana jumps in and tricks Tamatoa with a fake heart. (I'm not saying this part is all bad. I think it's quite funny and one of my favorite parts. Most of it went over my head anyway. 14. Te Ka, the lava monster. She looks like a woman, screeches, and Maui cut off both her hands but they grew back. In the end when Moana sings (IKR), she crawls toward her and looks like a creep. Look it up if you don't believe me. Moana is brave and restores the heart and Te Fiti. 15. Moana's grandma visits her. Not scary. That's just about all the parts that could possibly upset younger kids. I would love to say all the good in the movie. Moana is brave, realistic, and Samoan. The dancing is amazing and accurate. The songs are catchy. I had chills throughout the whole movie. I cannot say how much I love this movie! Was that less annoying when I said it at the END of the review? Give me a "Read My Mind" if you feel the same about any of this! Thanks for taking the time to read!