All parent member reviews for Modern Times

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCowDung August 18, 2011

Good movie for everyone

My kids saw this movie 'accidentally'. It came on as I was flipping through channels. I was thinking that my kids (ages 6 and 8) wouldn't even give it a chance but they were 'sucked in' almost immediately by Chaplin's antics and insisted that I not change the channel. From their laughs, I think the kids enjoyed it as much as any of their 'modern' favorites.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Chaplin always has a good heart and it shows through in his movies.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 August 25, 2014

This may indeed be Chaplin's best

Parents need to know that there's nothing wrong content-wise, a man dies, but it's not scary or intense at all: but there are a lot of brilliant themes, jabs and pokes at dehumanization, and the overtake of machines that's still very much relevant in today's times. Chaplin's comedic genius has rarely shined through brighter than in this semi-talkie, and with the help of his real-life love Paulette Goddard, looking gorgeous has a bohemian gamin and a great foil for the Tramp's mishaps, there is hilarity on every scene, and we should all feel privileged to witness it!
Parent Written byBigelmer October 13, 2013

The best "first silent film" for kids to watch.

This movie is ranked by the American Film Institute as the #78th best movie of all time. It was made 9 years after talking movies came out - it is Chaplin's last silent movie. In this movie, Chaplin acts, directs, produces, and wrote the screenplay. He even wrote the music. Don't dismiss this movie just because it is silent - the visual gags are absolutely hilarious. Also, since it is silent, you can talk about the movie as it unfolds and this will not distract anyone. If you don't think your kids will watch it, just turn on the movie and casually watch it in your living room while the kids are in the general vicinity -- they will be watching it in no time. The scene where Chaplin is placed in a feeding machine is so funny, that my kids made me rewind it twice while we watched the movie. We watched this when my kids were in 5th grade and one of my kids voted it as their favorite movie of that year. I think it is probably the best "first silent film" for anyone to watch.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byarchimac October 23, 2010