Parent reviews for Monster Hunter

Monster Hunter Poster Image

Great Monster flick, but one TERRYING SCENE with Spiders make this not age appropriate for someone age 13 IMO.

There is nothing surprising about this movie if you play the game. You know exactly what to expect - people killing monsters, monsters killing people. Violence is done in a similar fashion to Jurassic World. You don't really see too much and there's very little blood. No human guts. Monster guts of plenty. However, as you have probably seen from other reviews, the scene with the spider eggs is incredibly disturbing. Even for adults. That one scene takes a movie that would be good for younger mature audiences and makes the movie better for adults. Just know, when you get to the part where Milla finds her friend in the spider cave, GET YOUR KIDS OUT OF THE ROOM. This makes my skin crawl and I'm 33. No way in hell this scene was OK for a 13 year old (IMO). If they had removed that part it would have been pretty tame. Otherwise enjoyed the movie. You don't watch it for the storyline. You just want to see Milla do her thang so well :)
1 person found this helpful.

Horrific movie

I am a 20, about to be 21, year old and found this movie absolutely horrific. About 20 minutes in there are these spider creatures that put their eggs into someone’s body and they burst. It was absolutely disgusting and I found myself feeling immediately ill. I couldn’t finish the movie past that point and I have seen many gory movies in my life but I have never felt that disgusted. I have played the monster Hunter games and I can guarantee it isn’t like this movie at all. I don’t recommend for children or people with weak stomachs.

Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen

I give it props for having a middle-aged woman as the protagonist (Go Milla!!), but that's about it. The plot struggles, it's unbelievably violent, and yeah, that's about it. It doesn't even have a satisfying ending. My 12 year old watched it (he's seen all the Marvel movies, and has played the game) and didn't seem scarred by it other than how dull it was but I found the monsters and violence unpleasant.

Great Imagination of the Game

Really great movie! It’s based on the x-box game but you wouldn’t know it. It has several new characters and a very interesting plot. The monsters are very good and realistic and there were plenty of jump scares and creepy parts. I don’t understand how the reviewer rated this movie so low, because I didn’t play the game until after I saw this movie and wouldn’t have known it was from a game. In fact, it motivated me to get the game. There is some death and minimal gore, so I wouldn’t recommend for young kids, but teenagers should be able handle it without any issue. No sex or nudity, although there are some shirtless guys.

Good video game action movie with one terrible horror scene.

I am going to *SPOIL* one very scary scene towards the start. I have six kids ages 2-12. I brought my 12 year old son. I loved Milla Jovovich in Fifth Element and the Resident Evil movies and of course Ron Perlman in Blade, Hellboy, and many others. My son hasn't seen these, but he has seen all the Star Wars, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, and Pacific Rim movies. This movie has very intense action scenes with awesome violent monsters and explosions. My younger son who doesn't enjoy movies that are just basically intense would not have liked it. (I didn't bring him. He got scared by the crazy animals in Zootopia) My 12 year old son said he loved the movie. However - So, the story starts out with a military squad in a desert somewhere and they get transported to another world. The movie very quickly shows you that this place is not to be trifled with. A sand-dragon like creature chases the squad with much fun action violence and death. When the squad finally takes cover...I'm guessing 15-20 minutes into the movie...they are attacked by giant arachnid creatures. More action violence...little scary. The squad is overwhelmed. Milla wakes up in the arachnid lair and has to tear herself out of a cacoon. Her teammate also is escaping. HE HAS EGGS IN HIS BODY THAT HATCH AND KILL HIM. It is absolutely horrifying. My 12 year old, I think, was looking away. I hope he was. I guess I'll find out tonight. It was bad enough I know my gentle wife would want me to tell her to look away and I would mute the movie for a minute during that scene. Oh my gosh! A couple minutes later Milla escapes and the movie is fine after that. Fun action monster violence. I'm guessing my 12 year old would be more ready for that scene around age 14-16. You could watch it and have your kid look away if you're fine with the rest of the film. It's pretty easy to skip.

Much Better Than Expected

Movies based off video games usually always disappoint, but this movie did much better than expected. I saw it with my 13 & 15 year old sons. There are a good amount of Jump Scares, one kinda gross scene, but other than that, just fun action flick. We all play Monster Hunter World and enjoyed seeing game characters. Monsters, and landscapes on the big screen. Parents should know that there is a 10 minute section in which the word Sh*t is used about 10 times. Half of those are partial or muffled during a rollover and others during a battle with monsters. As PG-13 movies go, very little cursing and nothing sexual. Basically a B movie. Would watch it again.