All parent member reviews for Monsters, Inc.

Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 5, 2010

For The Monster In Your Closet

I can't think of a better way to help a child get over their "monster in the closet" phase. The movie depicts monsters as having very human-like traits--basically just like you and me except they look different. Monsters, Inc. is a great movie for teaching the value of friendship, hard work, and doing the right thing even though it hurts. You could make Billy Crystal a serial killer in a movie and he'd still be Billy Crystal. This movie is no exception. His zany antics will leave even young kids howling in laughter. John Goodman's "papa bear" persona brings feelings of safety and security to the table as well. The friendship/camaraderie amongst them is very powerful and I think that's a good value that kids need to learn. Sully (Goodman) spend the whole movie trying to do the right thing and correct Randall's (Steve Buscemi) mistake. Randall, the bad guy, demonstrates that greed and vanity are bad, as he's constantly trying to be a more productive worker than Sully. Both monsters demonstrate a great work ethic (or in Randall's case a great desire to have a good work ethic), which is important for children to learn as well. Having said all of that, parts of this movie will scare most young children...especially the first two minutes of the movie. Randall and his accomplice (Mr. Waternoose, voiced by the late, great James Coburn) are scary at times, but both demonstrate well the power of greed. The end of the movie offers that there are alternate and more ethical ways of making a living. It also demonstrates that doing the right thing is important, whether letting go of someone you love, or refusing to cheat in order to make it to the top. All in all it's a phenomenal film. Disney really upped the ante on the upscaling of this one. The 1080p video of the Blu-Ray is stunning as is it's lossless HD-DTS soundtrack.
Adult Written bymommy2a_k December 1, 2009

Overall, a very cute movie!

My daughter wasn't scared of the monsters at all, but I could see where a younger or more "sensitive" child might be. As an adult, I really enjoy this movie. However, we don't allow name-calling in our house, and I know the words "idiot" and "jerk" are used in the movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byamfsf June 2, 2010

Fun movie, lots of questions from kids

My 3 year old was not scared, but lots of "whys" and "hows". Since EVERYTHING is make-believe (monsters, capturing screams, monster city, free standing doors that open into a kids room etc.), he had a hard time understanding some of the plot.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byFitMama January 12, 2011

Great movie but not for younger kids with bedtime monster problems :)

My son was just under 5yo when he first saw this movie at a friend's house. It evoked bedtime monster issues the first week after he saw it. However, his younger brother (now 4) watches it with him with no problems so I think it depends on the child.
Educator Written bymaddox121 July 2, 2015

Celia and mike is as bad as it gets

violence, cartoon language-"sex talk" from Celia sex-celia and mike dating drugs-none
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Not great for the younger ones

This movie gives a good message but can frighting young children so watch out under 6
Parent of a 6 year old Written byKkrista November 28, 2015

Language Warning

Common Sense missed several comments that parents should know about such as "shut up", "stupid", "jerk", and "idiot".
Parent Written bySus1234 August 18, 2013

Provides enjoyment for the whole family, spanning different ages.

Monsters Inc. is a great movie for little kids. There is no content that is to much for kids to handle. Language, sex, and drinking are not issues at all, but there are some scary scenes. Monsters practice scaring little kids, but all the monsters are exceptionally cute, and the kids are supposed to be robots. A bad guy chases the characters and another one uses a torturing machine, but the torture result is more humorous than disturbing and scary. There are mild insults. A few dolls and Toy Story toys are shown up on the shelf of the kid's room, but it's only shown briefly and in the dark, but after all, it is a Disney Pictures Project.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 August 9, 2012

Monsters Inc

This is an adorable monster movie.... until Randall comes in. My 7 year old has a good head on her shoulders, so she knows that "Randall" can't come in. As for my 2 year old, let's just say that we had a toddler bed in our room for about a month after she watched Monsters Inc. She was absolutely MORTIFIED every time Randall or his sidekick would come on screen. When Sully was demonstrating his scare technique at the end, she went into MASS HYSTERIA. I was surprised by her reaction because she watched Brave without any tears. I applaud Disney for making a movie for the 6-10 year old crowd, but a PG rating would have been helpful in this case.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts January 20, 2012

Monsters are not real. It's AWESOME!

I have to admit. This is one of Pixar's best yet. Really Cute. My kids used to be afraid of the Monsters but now they're mature and understand Monsters are the opposite of real. It has some dark stuff, like it made some people cry I hear when the toddler was scared. It was still a hilarious movie. This has to be on Disney's list of funniest movies. Like Toy Story 3 or the old Mickey mouse and his friends Cartoons. It gets kids to understand that monsters are not always scary, They can be really friendly if they were real. But they'd probably be afraid of you. It's a good story, I mean, It's the best Idea they got for a movie about Monsters. With a better idea. They learn a lesson at the end that It isn't a good idea to scare people and anybody would rather be a clown than a monster scaring kids. Although, it is cute when kids go into a room with their baseball bat to fight a monster under the bed, It's your imagination you should be afraid of. Not Monsters. Pixar needs characters in movies that are really good role models and take good responsibility around friends. I liked the music and the beginning with really cool monsters inc art. My kids loved this movie. Trust me. You can't hate a movie like this. Too awesome and hilarious to hate. Way to go PIXAR! I'm Very proud of Disney for making so many good movies.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byandrewwhitt April 18, 2011
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Excellent, everyone 3 and up should see it.

Kids of all ages love this movie. We have watched it many times.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bygetloud April 11, 2010

fine for 5+

The little girl Boo was so funny and it was worth seeing it.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byJjHraiser2211 January 11, 2016
This is a very cute and funny movie. Some bits may scare small children.
Adult Written byBan Moy June 13, 2015
Adult Written byrobratings8901 June 12, 2014

Scratch all of the other stuff- it's the CHILDREN!

I saw this movie when I was 2, and I had nightmares for a while. Not because of the monsters, or the scream extractor, but because of the scare simulator, in the first 7 minutes of the movie. The part when it screams is CREEPY. I had a nightmare when the creepy kid dragged me away into his world. Luckily, my dreams gradually changed into more interesting scenarios and one changed into one a monster would have- trying to scare a child, but letting him into Monsters Inc. I really want to watch the movie now as a 13 year old, but still won't.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycone March 20, 2011
Parent of a 3, 6, 9, 12, 14, and 16 year old Written bydefinedancing February 8, 2011

Great For Kids 5+

This is a wonderful film and we have all watched it several times. The dialogue is witty and funny, the messages are great and the animation and story is on the money.
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

a pixar hit!

too scary for young children... but amazing nonetheless. if you are able to read this review, you should watch this movie. nuff said.
Adult Written bydshush June 12, 2009

Monsters Inc review

Children might be scared at the beginning of the movie, but when it gets toward the end, it starts to get funnier.