All parent member reviews for Monty Python's Life of Brian

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 14, 2011

Brilliant satire, but kids need to be old enough to absorb it

This movie definitely has more overt violence and sexual humor than Monty Python's Flying Circus (TV show) or even "Holy Grail." Still, that's not what's most tricky about letting kids see it. This movie satirizes religion with a razor-sharp edge. Fascinatingly, about the only thing in the movie it treats with genuine reverence in the image of Jesus himself, delivering the Sermon on the Mount in a fashion as dignified and realistic as any Biblical epic. But, almost instantly, it shows people mis-hearing and mis-interpreting his words to hilarious effect. Believers of every stripe (religious and political) are depicted as little more than buffoons (a group of rabbis once called this "the most offensive movie ever made"), and the folly of clinging to a faith that, under scrutiny, makes no sense is laid bare time and again. The message -- and there is a message -- of this movie is that you should understand what you believe in. That's a powerful intellectual revelation, but one that pre-teens may not be ready for.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 June 1, 2012

monty pythons life brian

but if you're a fan of the witty Monty Python gang, this a must-see comedy.Families can talk about the kinds of films Monty Python was lampooning. What stereotypical aspects of biblical epics does the film include? Is the film offensive or just funny, or somehow both -- why?
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bymjmrover June 22, 2015

Great movie!

Obviously, children (or any person) must understand British Humor to appreciate Monty Python. My kids loved The Holy Grail so I thought I'd give this one a try. Yes, there's brief nudity, but it's non-sexual. Probably the worst part for kids is the language. A few f-words and of course, a long comedic scene about Pilot's friend Biggest Dickess..
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 26, 2012

Very good.

I thought this movie was pretty good.It was funny and action packed! I just loved it!
Adult Written byFiggy66 July 26, 2010

OK for 11 year olds

Vewy funny the wife of bwian was some sex and a wittle viowence too the wanguage is not awl that bad.