Kid reviews for Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Edgy Python schtick better for older viewers.

Kid, 11 years old May 6, 2021

Definitely more mature than the Holy Grail, but still funny!

This movie, like the Holy Grail and Life of Brian (which, at the date of May 6, 2021, I have not seen), was made by the classic comedy group Monty Python (who also made the TV series Flying Circus), so you know it's going to be hilarious! However, its content is definitely more R-rated than most Python films/shows.

Violence 7/10: Very comedic and exaggerated, like other Python films and sketches. For example, a war is shown with comedic deaths and blood, an extremely obese man that vomits all the time explodes in a restaurant, a baby being forcefully being pulled out of a woman's stomach, God striking down an army general with lightning, a live liver transplant (lots of blood), and more.
Sex 10/10: Tons of sexual content throughout the film. Various kinds of nudity throughout the film; animated (in the opening animated sequence, there is a figure with huge breasts with erect nipples), topless, and more. A teacher and his wife have sex in front of a group of students in a sex ed class, in that same scene sex is discussed with lots of explicit references. Birth is discussed and shown (comedically and exaggerated), a whole song about how "every sperm is sacred" (it's making fun of Catholics), a reference to "having your balls cut off", a verbal joke that involves "gratuitous pictures of penises" (the pictures aren't actually shown), a brief song about penises with lots of penis-related descriptions and profanities (meant to be comedic, not too graphic), references to condoms, semen, and more.
Language 7/10: Not frequent, but there are uses of "f--k", "s--t", "hell", "damn", "balls", "piss", "vagina", and "bastard". In addition, there are lots of penis-related profanities in a brief song about penises, including "c--k", "pr--k", "d--k", "willy", "dong", "tadger", "John Thomas", "Percy", "stiffy", (of course) "penis", and more. A couple uses of those profanities out of the song, too.
Drug use 3/10: Mild, with a little alcohol drinking and cigarette smoking.

Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2021

Quiet a bit more edgy then the others

This is quiet a mature comedy with mature themes, sex and nudity and violence including a character getting a liver ripped out the only thing we don’t see is his body with all the organs falling out, a guys stomach explodes with no blood however some comedic gore, and a bunch of bloody dead bodies. Then nudity a sex scene but all we see is people naked and people from the neck up (however we do see the woman’s breasts before when she’s undressing,) and lots of breast nudity along with some mature themes about the after life and the meaning of life along with some moderate profanity including a couple f***s. However positive messages over shadows the films violence and nudity, at the end they reveal the meaning of life and I dare not spoil it please go and check out the film it’s definitely not the best Monty python film but it does have the best messages. 15+

Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2021

You might have to skip a little

There is a song about sperm and a lot of sexual refrences and a lot of cursing but it's fine for kids if you skip some scenes. MONTY PYTHON AT THEIR BEST!!!!

Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2020

I'm scarred

This film can be really funny in most scenes but in others it is completely over the top. Including naked women. I watched this when I was ten with my dad we both laughed a lot but I felt uncomfortable in some scenes.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMegalomaniac333 July 6, 2018

Another hilarious Monty Python classic

This is a great, really funny movie, but I would say you should either be 14 or older or at least have a very mature sense of humor. I first saw this when I was 12 or so and while I understood what was going on, it just made me extremely uncomfortable, and didn't seem that funny. It's a difficult movie to appreciate until you've become fairly comfortable around the topic of sex, and let's face it, most 12-year-olds aren't.

Teen, 15 years old Written byur_eggos_preggos February 15, 2018

Get me the machine that goes "PING!"

This movie is absolutely hilarious, just as funny as the Holy Grail. However, parents should be aware that this one includes graphic live action nudity as well as a sex scene, and is far dirtier than the Holy Grail. That doesn't make it any less hilarious, though. This is a truly great comedy--I was laughing so hard I nearly died! I watched it with my parents, and we just skipped over the sex scene with ease--it's easy to know when it's coming. The rest of the nudity is just women's breasts, which isn't that bad considering girls see breasts IRL every day!
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Maybe the funniest Python film

The Monty Python Trilogy is possibly the funniest film trilogy of all time, and The Meaning of Life might be the funniest. Using a sketch comedy format, the Pythons give a series of sketches loosely related to the stages of life, from birth until death. Featuring memorable bits including "Find the Fish", "Christmas in Heaven", and the world's fattest man, the movie makes little sense, but that's what makes it so funny, along with great songs including "The Galaxy Song" and "Every Sperm is Sacred".
Sex: Some animated nudity. A scene depicting a sexual education class in which the teacher has sex with his wife. Some nudity. A song is called "Every Sperm is Sacred". A man is chased off a cliff by topless women. A brief but graphic animated scene showing a woman apparently giving birth. Topless angels are seen in Heaven. Brief discussion about condoms.
Violence: Some bloody comic violence. A man has a forced organ transplant. Bloody and gore are seen spraying everywhere. A man is seen with a missing leg. A few bloody characters on a battlefield. Several men are shot.
Language: A few uses of f***.
Substance Abuse: Little to none.
Intensity: None. The film is all comedy.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow January 22, 2013

Best comedy of all time!

After the subpar "Life of Brian", The Meaning of Life not only brings back the spirit of the Python films, but it actually rises above them. It's quirky, surreal, and probably a milestone in politically incorrect cinema. I enjoyed every sketch, especially "Live Organ Transplants" and "The Autumn Years", just for how disgustingly over-the-top they were. All the actors were extremely dedicated in their roles, whether they're putting on fake accents or just being pointless and unnecessary (thus adding to the fun surreality), and they all appeared to be having massive fun. But it's also the most sophisticated of all the MP films, bringing up some genuinely interesting questions about the meaning of life without getting in the way of the laughs. Lots of people will certainly be turned away by it's horrendous and disgusting physical gags (a well-earned "not for kids" film), but this movie flattens all the other MP movies because it accomplishes the Monty Python spirit the most - for stupidity, sophistication, and stupidity.

Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2012

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving...

And revolving at 900 miles an hour! As you may be able to tell from my screen name, I am a HUGE Monty Python fan. However, I don't believe that this is their best work. It is very good and is more suited to people with an acquired taste. There is a small educational value in the Galaxy Song which is upbeat, easy to remember and teaches kids a little about the Universe. The scene where the fat man throws up and explodes did make me a bit squeamish, but I'm sure kids around 12-13 can handle it depending on their maturity. There is also a bit of bad language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag June 17, 2012

Monty Python anthology film is violent and sexual. Mature teens+

"The Meaning of Life" is a comedy/satire by critically acclaimed British comedy group Monty Python. While being entertaining and at some points really funny, it is their weakest film. At some points, the Pythons lose themselves in bad taste jokes (not yet bad). Still, there are several funny and hilarious moments, such as both war scenes or the infamous surreal "Where is the Fish?" skit. It is certainly no waste of time.
The movie has some strong violent moments, such as a man's liver being cut out while he is still alive (The body is off-screen, you see lots of blood splatter and the organs being taken out, you hear the man scream in pain). It is meant to be comical, but it still can be quite disturbing to some.
In a war sequence, severed limbs, heads and bloody stumps are shown, but this time, the violence is clearly comical.
A man literally explodes (the content of his stomach bursts everywhere, you see extremely fake bones and a heart, but it is ridiculously unrealistic).
Some other violence that is not that graphic.
There are sexual scenes, a song is sung entitled "Every Sperm is Sacred", which includes verses sung by children or nuns.
A teacher has sex with his wife in front of the class (nothing explicit shown, only their heads). A scene in which topless female nudity is shown. Frequent sexual talk, which can be graphic.
There are some uses if the f-word.
Mainly for its violence, this movie should be watched by older teens and adults only.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 20, 2011

Not nearly as good as the previous two films, but still good.

My rating: R for crude sexual content throughout.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAKE April 6, 2011

Good for older highschool students

I think that it is a great movie and very funny. But it has humor that is not appropriate for many ages. I re om end seeing it but there is nudity, sex, and some gore so it may disturb or teach kids the wrong message.

Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2010

Innapropriate

I really like this movie, but it is REALLY innapropriate. you should watch it before you let your kid see it.

Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 October 13, 2009

Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc July 15, 2009

Kid, 9 years old April 18, 2009

Either you like it or you hate it. I hate british humor.

I agree with islandgal. It could've gotten an NC-17 rating. I loved it when I was 7, but I watched it this year, I didn't like it.

don't let your children see this!!!!

this is the most disgusting movie i have ever seen very explicate in the sexual catagory. i think it should be nc17. i don't have to write much i just have to say...... DON'T LET YOUR KIDS SEE IT!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegeek222 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byRogerWilco April 9, 2008

Odd for you americans

Meaning of Life is a hilarious movie. Sex si really just parodied(one scene with naked girls killing a man, and one scene making fun of topless dance numbers not even real breasts. The scene with the teacher isn't that innopropriate). Kids may not enjoy it since it has thinking british dark humor. If your kid is mature for his age and likes briish humor It's a good film. If they don't understand british films they might not get it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Uneven film

Though I recommend anything related to Monty Python (including this movie) it's a fairly uneven film. Some sketches are absolutely hilarious and you can see the team at the top of their game (Every Sperm is Sacred, Fighting Each Other, Rugby Match, Live Organ Transplants, etc.). Some sketches are middling (Sex Ed Class, Zulu Wars, Grim Reaper, etc.). And some sketcehs just aren't funny at all (Find The Fish, Philosophy Dinner Conversation, the odd "people dressed as tigers" scene). And I'm not a big fan of the gross Mr. Creosote scene either. It seems like in this film they were just trying to satirize everything but lost part of the sillliness that makes Python so funny.

As far as content goes, there is some topless nudity, lots of discussion about sex, and some other questionable material. But for 14 and up, I think it's fine.