Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle

Intense, dark, muddled adaptation of Jungle Book tales.

Adult Written byHeatherfife December 20, 2018

NOT FOR KIDS!!!!!!!

I was so looking forward to this movie because the animation looked amazing...and it was. Also, the trailer showed adorable little Mowgli so my kids wanted to watch it too. So we sat down, got hooked by the cute little furry, animated animals and adorable little Mowgli, and then the movie took a drastic, shocking, horrific turn. Without spoiling too much, one of the most adorable little creatures, who is picked on by peers, and is made to feel terrible about himself by Mowgli, is senselessly murdered. It didn’t even go a long way towards making some point or enhancing the plot. We already didn’t like the murderer because he harmed another character. Also, several other animals die fighting each other. The plot was all over the place and had no good strong messages. This movie had so much potential but fell so short! Honestly, don’t bother.

Adult Written byCriticus December 9, 2018

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle Review

Here's the truth, and I admit it with a heavy heart: To adapt a line from the movie: "You came out wrong!" Well, there's no denying it. Give it every break you can afford to give it, and Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle only continues to disappoint. From before I thrilled myself watching the first trailer probably 20 odd times, I was completely on board with the concept of an Andy Serkis-directed original take on the excellent adventure story, Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. I protested the unfairness of Disney's sneaky "cash grab" remake, which stole audience members in droves from the Warner Brothers re-make, and I was disgusted when I found out that it was considered fit only for Netflix, despite boasting a fine A-list cast. I gave it every opportunity to redeem itself, but the critics said it first - it's sadly just a bungle in the jungle. The movie contains many elements which, put to another purpose, may have created a really terrific story, but this time it's a mess. I think perhaps the script should be held to the light first, as it's not put together in a solid and logical manner, leaving the viewer confused and dissatisfied. Characters and sub-plots are glossed over, making the short running time feel incredibly restrictive. Incredible talent (perhaps no-one more than Freida Pinto) feel so very underused, which is a real shame. The effects (and voices!!) are indeed distracting, and although a deliberate decision on Serkis' part, only exasperate, and leave you wishing you were back in Favreau's Disney world, where the animals at least looked somewhat realistic. Considerations as to your child's maturity are also important, as this version does contain some wilder violence. Although not on the level of the source material, the movie is not afraid of showing a little death, and one moment in particular, involving the horrific death of a supporting character, is strikingly shocking, and may frighten or sadden young children. Language is hardly an issue, with some name-calling like "weirdo" and "freak" being basically the extent of profanity. Mowgli wears his customary underwear throughout the film, and the people of the village dress loosely, with the women sporting free-flowing garments and the men often going shirtless. At one point, a man reveals a scar on his lower stomach. Although some may find some entertainment here, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle will likely prove something of a bungle-in-the-jungle to most.
Adult Written byCmong April 12, 2019

A Strange Version

My 7 year old daughter is obsessed with this movie. She’s intrigued by the story, although she asks lots of questions for clarification of parts. My 12 year old son thought it was “ok”. I wasn’t really impressed with the boy actor, nor the strange computer animation. As far as the intensity and violence, even the animated Disney movie had that. But Mowgli takes the turn with the twisted overly enormous snake Kaa part, the drunk hunter, and the albino wolf’s head mounted in his camp. The positive messages are clear. I just couldn’t get attached to any of it.

Adult Written byimisstherainstz April 5, 2019

Artistic, just know what to expect

I appreciate the directing , style, and genuinely unique approach to a well-known (and perhaps in some ways over-told) story. That being said however, the general themes and emotional intensity of this telling are probably too mature for families with young children. Where past tellings portrayed Mowgli coming to understand his need to join his own kind and eventually leaving of his own free will, this rendition is less simple, more painful. Your worldview or philosophy of the relationship between man and nature will probably have a significant impact on your thoughts about this movie and its messages. Example, if you like hunting, this probably isn't for you. As a movie, I can appreciate the artistry and talent that goes into this kind of project, but the story felt disjointed/meandering. The pacing is a uneven at times, and I wondered more than once when the driving plot would surface. A good portion of the movie is spent hinting at a story that barely comes to fruition before the credits roll, and some of the more shocking moments don't seem to serve a clear purpose. If you choose to watch with younger or sensitive children, be warned that this movie contains several intense/scary sequences, intense emotional moments that younger children may have difficulty processing (such as SPOILER WARNING: Mowgli discovers his best friend as a stuffed trophy), and may present some confusing ideas on the themes of belonging, justice, and family. It really just depends on the viewer. For parents/caregivers, I recommend watching first or possibly considering the slightly lighter Jon Favreau version if the darkness of this one is a concern. For this movie, the simple solution is to mind the rating, because it's there for a reason.
Adult Written bynoneya March 16, 2019

PG-13?

We don't let our kids 9 &11 watching all the murders on the evening news but a rating of PG-13 for no [email protected], no drugs. no swearing seems a bit much. We let them watch Blue Planet and animal killing animal for food or survival, that's is the way of things. Now this movie isn't like the cartoon singalong Jungle book, very dark version but good none the less.
Adult Written byMatthewRap March 9, 2019

Alright, People, Look:

The film is rated PG-13 for a reason, you must stop comparing it to the 2016 Jungle Book and the 1967 Jungle Book. Those two were made by Disney, and they following the more light-hearted, sing-and-dance entertainment structure, which was not at all what the original book was like. Disney was not the originator of the story, Rudyard Kipling was. The original book and sequel are a couple of strong, story-based, dynamic stories that this film manages to get the feel of. In fact, the original book was gruesome as well. This Warner Bros film is finally something I've been dying to see for a long time. Something with a more serious attitude and a more, in my opinion, realistic animation style in terms of animals in their natural habitats. Mowgli in this version looks so much more realistic than in the other two Jungle Books, even though for all of them I would have liked to see an older version of him like in the original book. When I heard that MsMojo had done a 2016 vs 2018 and heard the part where the "nostalgia of the original" makes the 2016 one win, I immediately lost all hope with people and their capability to have very critical movie-judging mindsets.

Adult Written byMsNouveau March 9, 2019

People are over-sensitive

I watched this with my 10-year-old twins and it was just fine for them. We discussed in advance how much violence this movie supposedly had and that was not at all the case. They could've definitely watched this movie last year as 9-year-olds. Any child who has seen the Harry Potter movies has seen far worse than anything in this movie.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byDocmarina December 29, 2018

Entertaining but definitely intense

Adult Written bylizdp1976 December 27, 2018

Totally depends on the kid

I watched this with my 7 year old and she was fine. We both really enjoyed it. Yes, it is dark and has some creepy parts, but my daughter wasn't scared. We had seen the 2016 Jungle Book, so she knew what to expect.
Adult Written byGargantuanBanshee December 17, 2018

If you wanted a true adaptation to the Kipling classic, you've got it.

I have read all the other reviews, and the main theme of discontent seems to be that it is darker and more violent than the 2016 and 1967 versions and that the CGI isn't as good. While the CGI isn't near up to par with that of the 2016 film, one of them was made by a multi-billion dollar company and one of them was not. Instead, Mowgli focused on more important things, such as adherence to the original text and more believable character choices. There are some scenes of peril and death, but what would you expect for a story taking place in a jungle? Just understand that they are there and screen the audience accordingly. The presence of violence doesn't make a movie bad, for we do not live in a world of sunshine and rainbows. Shout out to @Danbali613 for a good laugh over the statement that Jurassic Park would be better to show kids than Mowgli.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byCempaxochitl December 8, 2018

Too dark

Is too dark for young and older kids, my 8 year old get too scary when a cut head appear suddenly, that is too violent! , is too dark, really the images are very scary even for me, don’t let kids watch this dark movie!