All parent member reviews for Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Adult Written bychangster.eminem March 13, 2010

You don't have to like action to like this movie

I loved it. Action movies aren't really my thing, but this was funny.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written byJacksongal August 12, 2010
Parent Written bybarney ross May 25, 2012

Nice Thriller

3 and above
Adult Written byMe. January 27, 2011

Great movie...

They love each other so they can't be apart. Yes, they kill many good people, but they kill bad boys too, they are assassins after all, so what's the matter? They want to kill each other, but at the end they realise that they can't be separated. In this movie was when I first saw that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were a good couple, they look perfect together.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion July 22, 2010

Good Action and Laughs, But...

MR. AND MRS. SMITH is a fun action movie that is decent popcorn entertainment. However, it presents nothing by way of genuine thrills, redeeming messages (in fact, quite the opposite, but more on that later), or intelligent acting or dialogue. A bit on the plot: Mr. Smith (Brad Pitt) and Mrs. Smith (Angelina Jolie) have lived in a mediocre marriage for 6 years. They love each other, but they constantly bicker and keep things from each other. It turns out that each of them work for rival assassination agencies, and neither of them knows about the others' day job. Until they must target each other. Suddenly, six years of partnership are thrown to the wind as the two try to kill each other in creative means that include guns, knives, explosives, and rough hand-to-hand combat. The movie's messages are negative through and through. The movie skips over all positive parts of marriage (save one) and only portray the negative. Sacred unity between woman and man comes across as disposable and dull. The one aspect of marriage that it does portray (a lot of) is the sex aspect. Both Jolie and Pitt are very good-looking individuals, and the movie takes full advantage of their looks. When the do solve their feud, they engage in passionate sex (mostly offscreen, no nudity) and suddenly all of their problems are gone. The movie has a strong sense of vaguely sexualized violence pervading it. Jolie approaches one of her targets disguised as a hooker (with a revealing dominatrix suit), and puts him through a mostly-offscreen S&M routine before breaking his neck. Elsewhere, both Smiths are apparently sexually aroused while trying to kill each other. Countless people are killed, shot, stabbed, and run over in the movie (portrayed mostly bloodlessly through stunning special effects). Murder itself in the movie is portrayed in a cool, so-what manner that I found more than a little alarming. Most characters in the movie think of killing as a solution to all their problems, and mention of killing more than 200 people is the butt of a joke. Language is harsh but infrequent: one "f**k", a few "b**ch"s, and brief slang terms for both male and female genitals "d**k" and "p**sy". Don't get me wrong: this movie is fun entertainment for mature viewers. The action is really cool to watch, and the chemistry between Jolie and Pitt (even when clothed) is electrifying. Just don't show it to kids.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byWizard18 June 12, 2009
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

Bombs, Explosions, Action!

I loved this movie. My husband and I kept arguing about who was thinking what and what they'd do next and we were never right! Loved that it kept us guessing. Plenty of action and obvious violence one died on camera and the only blood you saw was the main characters own blood from scrapes and injuries. Pitt did a bit of swearing and we skipped over a make out scene but otherwise it was a lot of fun!
Adult Written byJenPete April 9, 2008

Violent, but smart

This is a really fun movie for older teens and adults. QUITE violent due to the storyline (would be impossible to follow this story without violence). There are killings, discussion of killings and lots of explosives involved, but the script is smart and, for adults, entertaining. Not a kids movie by any stretch of the imagination.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

fun, but rediculous

I'd have to disagree with dback's review earlier in this list. The kids who see this film are exposed to ridiculous violence - violence without consequence and sometimes even laughed at. Saying that, though, I did think the film is wonderfully entertaining. Adults can (hopefully) see through the silly-ness in how this film deals with violence, relationships and responsibilities and understand the satire in the situations to find the films true message. I'd be afraid that younger people wouldn't understand it correctly. Shooting at their friends with a shotgun, for example, shouldn't be taken so lightly. Though the film was fun, the setting is ridiculous and far fetched, to say the least. I wouldn't take my kids to see this.
Adult Written byaey April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygoldfishee27 April 9, 2008

funny/ entertaining movie for adults

i agree that this is not the best movie to take your kids along for. this would be more appropriate to the teens and above category... but it was very entertaining and having two gorgeous people on screen made it all the more wonderful. more than the plot and the development of the characters, many find entertainment in this movie because of the two leading actors, brad and angelina.
Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Sparks were flying!

Awesome movie! I loved it! Funny, action packed, and fast moving with little twists in the plot to keep you guessing. The violence is intense. I didn't think it was too long at all. And, man, the sparks were flying between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt--definitely an attraction going on there. GREAT MOVIE--for adults! 13 may be a bit on the young side--15/16 would be better.
Adult Written bybrezzyegg April 9, 2008

there was a lot ar action

Adult Written byShelley70 April 9, 2008
Adult Written April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylaura45 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

this movie only for 10 & up not for little kids to see they might get scared.
Adult Written bymmazog April 9, 2008

Interesting idea for a movie, but missed the mark

Movie interested us because of the concept of the plot, but left a lot to be desired. It picked up steam as it progressed, but still left us with a "This could of been great" feeling. Kid appropriateness: A lot of violence .... much of it is "over exageratted, James Bond type of violence and most of the deaths occur off-screen. Sexual content: Mostly implied, actual shown content is fairly mild. Profanity: typical of what you might expect in this type of movie. Certainly another issue would be the social implications of lying or living a "secret life," but the execution of the movie almost mocks the believability of the concept of the movie so it seems very mild.
Parent Written bymjquinn April 9, 2008