Parent reviews for Mr. Peabody & Sherman

Mr. Peabody & Sherman Poster Image

Rich Storyline and a Great Update for This 60s Character

I saw the trailers and I expected it to be more concentrated on time travel and not have much of a story line. Well there is. A fantastic one at that! "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" is a wonderful story about a dog who adopts a boy. The film also has lots of animated things to love - like history, comedy, romance, suspense and so much more. To make it even better – characters come to live thanks to the brilliant voice-over actors such as Ty Burrel and Max Charles. The film starts when a young puppy is growing up in different shelters. From a very early age he shows everyone how very special he is. He is intelligent, athletic and smooth. He wins many prizes, but his greatest adventure happens when he adopts a boy. Together they go through multiple adventures and troubles but able to stay together. I love so much about this film. The film itself is fantastic! I love how they take twenty five-minute shows that had old, colored 2-D animation and turn it into modern 3D animation with the use of modern technology. My favorite scene is when they show the story of how Mr. Peabody adopts Sherman. They show points throughout Sherman's little life of great moments, like his first step in 1709. Then it shows how he finds Sherman. That is definitely a sweet and loving part...

Some positive messages and funny moments

Has a bit of cartoonish violence but has a possitivr message that you can stand up to bullies overall I think this film is alright for ages 5 and up

Positive messages about adopting, and being different

Whilst I am not, myself, adopted, I did work in child protection, and I like to think I am not completely insensitive to the needs and fears of kids in those family situations, and those without. The social worker in this film is 'the big bad". As a social worker I was not offended by this, because it is the major narrative conflict in the film and drives the plot. All films need a bad guy and any kid can understand the fear of being taken from those you love. Peabody and Sherman are very different in their genetic and biological heritage, but have a very loving bond, of a kind I would wish for any adoptive family, or any other kind of family. Peabody works hard to teach Sherman about the world in his unique way (he's like mega rich and smart, which helps) and is always there for him. Previous posters have said that the fact that Peabody can't tell Sherman "I love you" is offensive, but this is the major character development for Peabody. It's never in doubt in Sherman's mind that Peabody loves him or vice versa. The film teaches history and cultures well in a stylishly animated feature and is very funny. Portrayals of women in this film is not overwhelmingly positive, I have to agree with those reviews, though I didn't notice it myself, there are really only 3 major female roles and one is the big bad, one is the pain in the butt in need of rescue and eventual redemption and the other one is kinda vapid seeming, but nice enough. You could look at that as a gross stereotyping range. I didn't but you might be onto something if you did. Anyway, I heartily endorse this product or event

Great and funny family movie

It was a great family movie. The girl, Penny, was a bully but thankfully apologizes for her actions near the end of the movie. Great historical figures and we would recommend you watch together as a family!

A good history lesson(sort of) and remake!

good

but I think some of the upsetting moments in there might be to intense for children 7 and younger but it whould be good for ages 8+

Super Fun!

This movie is fun and funny! The kids loved it. A must see for all ages! One of our favorites!

Let down

By today's standards, the animation was just ok. There was just too much happening on screen, which actually made my daughter (5 years old) cry. Although it had a lot of historical figures but there was nothing worth telling your kids about.

Loved historical figures, disliked kid's attitude toward authority (very disrespectful)

The blasts from the past are lots of fun to watch and think about and there are tons of adult level jokes throughout. The movie was well thought through in that regard. However, I do not like the negative attitudes portayed in this film. There is very little regard for the main parental authority figure, Mr. Peabody. Penny, the girl the boy is in love with (yes every kid movie has to have that and I don't know why), is constantly challenging the boy's father (Mr. Peabody) on direct parental guidance. Hollywood tries again to "break the controlling father" by portraying direct disobedience by the children as the only route. This is, as always, very disappointing. This sends the wrong message to children. Also, TONS of action/explosions - too many for my taste. Let me also add: beheading scene from French Revolution, helpless damsel style drama (male chauvinism), Bill Clinton saying "I've done worse", and negative comments on adoption throughout, etc, etc...