All parent member reviews for Mr. Popper's Penguins

Parent of a 8 year old Written byjaywdet June 17, 2011

Divorced Parents be Warned

I am not going to write a long review on this, just be warned... If you are a divorced parent and you think your child harbors any hope of you and your ex getting back together (nearly all of them do) then you should think a bit about going to see this. My son, while he laughed throughout the movie, and did enjoy it, cried when we got home. He asked if that would happen to us. To which of course I had to reply, no. This movie is a fairy tail for divorced kids that ends very unrealistically. It is kinda like rubbing their noses in it. You are warned.
Parent Written byGingerraye June 20, 2011

Fun family entertainment.

I took my 9 year old grandson, and we thought it was delightful. Captain, the penguin with the most charm, was precious. The other impish, penguins were funny and entertaining. Jim Carrey was goofy, and sympathetic. We loved it!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byGirls2moms June 20, 2011

NOT the real Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Don't expect ANY resemblance to the book - expect for Mr. Popper's name and that he gets a penguin from the Antarctic. After that it's nothing like the book. Pity. The book is a great story and would have made an adorable movie. It's a cute movie in any case but my daughter and I were really disappointed.
Parent Written byfairlyconservative June 27, 2011

Great movie!

We loved the book, which is not much like the movie. We loved this movie! It was so funny and cute. We laughed a lot! Divorced family but a very happy ending. I think there's a lot to be said about second chances and about priorities (family)!
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byworking_mommy June 20, 2011

Good and Fun Movie

I was having second thoughts of watching Mr. Popper's Penguins with my four year old. But I'm glad we did as she enjoyed it a lot. She laughed out loud at all the antics of the penguins (and memorized all the names) and was able to follow the penguin storyline (vs that of the Poppers'-- which at her age she didn't dwell on). I still give it a Pause for kids her age though, I do understand that there are some situations there which may not be taken well by other kids. Still it was a fun movie and we had a great time watching it.
Parent of a 7, 7, and 10 year old Written bymommy.of.three June 23, 2011

It made us laugh!

I took my 7 and 10 year olds and they enjoyed it completely. Mom and Grandma also laughed a lot!! By the end of the movie Jim Carrey learns how to feel and express love. I think it's great and very fun!
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byhorspedler June 24, 2011

I recommend it.

If your are looking for an entertaining couple of hours with great conversation afterwards. This is the movie to see. My five year old son had as much fun after the movie as we talked about our favorite scenes.
Parent Written byaj2011 December 12, 2011

Fun movie but simplistic message about separated families

A fun lightweight movie which takes advantage of Jim Carrey's talent for animal antics. However, watch out for the message if you are in a split or divorced family. It presents a separated couple who get back together after Carrey (the dad) rediscovers his need to spend more time with his kids. The message is: if dad didn't spend so much time at work then he and mom would be back together. It lacks any sense of realism in this area as there is no relationship complexity and no tension between the separated partners (whose roles are more like star-crossed lovers getting together for the first time).
Parent Written bylulabelle05 September 5, 2011

Mr. Popper is funny

Zoo keeper is too scary for young children. The penguins were cute.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bybethmorris1125 July 16, 2011

The Love of Familly Triumphs

At first, Mr. Popper isn't the ideal dad, and neither was his father, Mr. Popper Senior. He comes around after being given the penguins. He realizes that you do everything you can for your family -- a good message, I think. Other reviewers commented on champagne at an adult party, or formerly married people on a date. I see nothing wrong with champagne at an adult party....no one was sloppy drunk. And the date was harmless, with them "slipping" on to the ice and landing on top of each other. But that was as risque as it got. One warning.....if you are recently divorced and your kids hold out hope you will get back together, this may be a movie to skip, because in this one, the parents do get back together. Otherwise, a great movie. My kids said it was one of the best they'd ever seen. Funny -- and happy, and cute. This is not an adult story made into a movie for kids -- THANK GOD. I am sick of movies like that.
Adult Written byisabellatrix July 1, 2011

Funny and enjoyable. Pause on the younger kids.

I took 3 kids- ages 4, 6, and 9. All in all everyone enjoyed it. Very funny! I'm not usually a Jim Carrey fan- I tend to think his humor can be a little over the top/annoying/abrasive but it worked for this movie and we really only got a controlled dose of it. Must be a good director. Movie does not follow book but still enjoyable in its own right. Somewhat predictable and idealistic but most kids movies are so that's not a big deal. Story moved along at a good pace, which is pretty good for a live-action kids movie. There were some parts that were a bit "emotionally intense"- dealing with divorce, one of the penguin eggs doesn't hatch, Mr. Popper has "job drama" (gets fired), Mr. Popper's resents his dad for not being around when he was a kid and then dies at the beginning of the film. These might be a little tough for younger kids who are emotionally sensitive. About 2/3 of the way through the movie my four year old niece crawled into my lap b/c she said she was "scared" meaning that the emotional plot points were making her nervous. She's a bit on the sensitive side so if your under-5 child is too just be prepared. She was laughing most of the movie though and was pretty happy in the end. No permanent emotional trauma at all. Though I can imagine, as some other people have noted, that it might be a little hard on the younger kids if your family is personally going through some of these issues. (However, I also suspect that it's pretty normal for a kid to at some point ask their divorced parents if they'll get back together. If this isn't the catalyst for that question, something else likely will be. If the wound is fresh, be cautious but I might argue that it would be a good way to start a much needed discussion with your child.) All in all, everyone came out pretty happy. When asked in the end what they thought of the movie, all three kids answered positively. They seemed to focus more on the dancing penguins and turning your apartment into a winter wonderland than on the relationship issues. "What your favorite part?" (Paraphrasing:) Girl, Age 9 - "when Mr. popper taught the penguins to dance" Boy, Age 6 "stinky was funny" Girl, Age 4 "i liked when they were sliding through the party"
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycliffgotas July 3, 2011

Very entertaining movie for the whole family

I thought the movie was very entertaining. I took my mother, my husband and my two kids 11 and 9. Everyone totally enjoyed it. Never read the book, so can't compare. Kids totally loved the humor.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byAmira1976 June 26, 2011

A Really "Cool" Movie for the Whole Family

My kids, 9 and 12 both loved the movie , so did I. It was better than I expected actually. Good jokes, no cursing,no violence, no sexual hints whatsoever, the perfect movie for a family. The get-back-to-our ex part I found a bit too Hollywood-ish, the kind of stuff which just doesn't work in real life, but otherwise the whole story is sweet.
Parent Written byfarthumorisfun July 18, 2012

Really funny, but ethically difficult.

Painted zoo workers in a negative light. Celebrated a rich person's need to hatch a penguin egg over the public's ability for viewing wildlife in a cage. Fart and poop humor was a positive.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byredsoxmom June 28, 2011

11 y.o. son loved it and I was pleasantly surprised!

Ok, I expected this movie to be terrible (but as long as you don't expect it to be true to the book) I found it to be surprisingly cute! I am NOT a Jim Carrey fan, but his slapstick antics were limited and appropriate and overall the movie had a very positive message. The penguins were cute and funny. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised! No foul language and nothing that made me cringe for families with younger children. A little excessive on the penguin poop perhaps, but of course that made the kids laugh uproariously. As noted by another reviewer, however, if you are a divorced parent whose children think you might get back together, proceed cautiously - I hadn't thought of that.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydgjd July 7, 2011

Fun family movie

Enjoyed watching with my 7 yr old son. The penguin and physical Jim Carrey humor is great. The rest of the story line about the divorced couple and property purchases didn't entertain him much. Kids do learn some interesting facts about penguins. Some language is a bit much, but not too inappropriate.
Parent Written bychiquitabanana June 30, 2011

People-pleasing Pick!

Thanks to Jim Carrey & 20th Century Fox for making this delightful,funny, & heartwarming movie with the excellent family-value message. So uplifting & entertaining...what all movies should be! A refreshing change from the usual violence & vice in most movies. Jim Carrey was the perfect pick for the penguin poppa, and the authors of the original story would be proud of the modern-day movie version!
Parent Written byimaboomer July 21, 2012

Grandma's Review

I am 64 years old and I love this movie. The penguins were adorable, Jim Carrey was just right -- not too over the top as he usually is. And Angela Landsbury, on of my favorites was perfect.
Parent Written byCandisco July 18, 2012

Suitable- and silly.

Suitable and silly. More slapstick, please.
Parent Written byMae11 February 3, 2012

Mr. Poppers Penguins

A good giggle-fest for my kids. A few words we don't say but they were minor, "stupid". The potty humor was very silly and family + love messages were sweet.