All parent member reviews for Mrs. Doubtfire

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Funny, but VERY Questionable...

I let my kids watch this without supervision, under the terms that if it got racy, they were to turn it off. I left for the store, and when I returned, they had stopped watching it. MRS. DOUBTFIRE is a decent movie with some real laugh-out-loud parts, but it is very racy. There are incountable sexual innuendos that can get raunchy, in addition to language. Recommended for old teens and adults only.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Too Many Fires to Put Out for Families

I watched this movie while underage for the rating, and can't believe any adult in my family let me get away with it. This flick is not, by any means, a family film. It turns on the positive fulcrum that divorce shouldn't tear apart a family's respect, and that kids need the presence of loving fathers in their lives. But that gets lost in a lot of junk. The fact that Daniel Hillard cross-dresses to be with his kids is at best morally ambiguous, at worst, desperate and foolish. The fact that he lies to his wife while in a new identity, and makes her out to be a monster when he does interact with her as the real Daniel, is pretty disgusting. His son is traumatized when he sees his dad urinating while standing, in his body suit. And I don't want to think about what confusing messages Daniel's youngest daughter got when her daddy was exposed in public. Strong language mars the film as well. Daniel makes sarcastic, sex-laced remarks to his wife's new love interest, and indulges in drinks, while decrying smoking (technicians at his former workplace smoke like chimneys). The kids' uncle is openly homosexual, and we see his stereotypic partner. Make a note: just because a film features children, don't automatically assume your kids are safe watching.
Parent of a 5, 7, 10, and 11 year old Written bykpreston February 17, 2011
Adult Written bywonder dove January 10, 2013

Wonderful family film!!!

Absolutely wonderful movie! Heartwarming storyline, excellent cast, great acting! Robin Williams is amazing, he is definitely one of a kind! When Miranda (Sally Field) wants a divorce from her husband Daniel (Robin Williams), it breaks their three children's hearts. Daniel must go to court hearings and has limited time spent with his kids. He must get a decent job and a place of his own first. He decides to come up with a hilarious scheme by using his amazing talents and becoming an old woman with the help of his brothers. He transforms into Mrs. Doubtfire and replies to Miranda's babysitting ad and gets the job as a caregiver so he can see his kids every day. Embarrassingly enough, his secret starts to unfold and is eventually exposed. The story is super sad and heartfelt. Daniel loved his children so much that he'd do anything to see them each day (literally!). Language is somewhat strong for young kids but it will fly right over their heads I promise! Words like sh*t, b*tch, d@mn, @sshole, B@stard...etc. Sexual content is there but very brief...mostly jokes or slang-talk that kids won't notice. Violence is mild and includes throwing fruit at a guys head, a thief tries to steal a woman's purse, the middle finger is used, arguing. There is a good amount of alcohol in a restaurant scene where Mrs. Doubtfire & Daniel himself get very tipsy, also drinking at a family outing. All in all, the perfect comedy for families with mature 10+ kids!
Parent Written byvengle723 February 4, 2012

better than i remember it

i watched this with my kids who are 9, 6, and 3. i didn't expect the younger two to stick with it til the end, but they were actually pretty interested throughout. there's enough silly humor, slapstick, and goofy voicing to keep them interested, although i think most kids under about 7 are probably not going to be that into it. the movie prompted questions about divorce and drinking, which was fine by me. there are several conspicuous swear words, which i just addressed as they came up, and there's a fair amount of sexual humor that went above the kids' heads. what i liked best about this movie was the fact that each of the adult characters--mom, dad, and new boyfriend--had some depth; each had a valid perspective, and each was acting with honorable motives, even if those motives sometimes conflicted or led to unconventional behavior. the parents' divorce was presented as sad and difficult, but not tragic, and not insurmountable.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byabaziky98 August 1, 2010

Awesome

Robin Williams' best movie ever. More good stuff than bad, although language includes "s--t," "b--ch" and more.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

A movie targeted at the wrong audience (kids)

Not suitable for under 13s. Too much sexual references.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byloisj August 31, 2014

Great family movie if you don't care about the language

I know some other reviews here were concerned with the language, but I don't really care about that. My kids are 8 and 11 and although this film is rated PG-13, the content is at the PG level, if you ask me. There is no nudity (far from it); the sexual content is veiled in innuendo and is actually pretty mild (imo), and there is no violence. Score BIG for my 8-year-old who hates movies with bad guys and characters in peril (tried to watch the Muppets new movie, but she left the room!). So I constantly search for movies with conflicts involving no bad guys,. This fit the bill. I highly recommend if you are okay with your kids hearing the d-word, the sh-word, and maybe the a-word. Really I found it all very mild!
Adult Written byzenithon August 18, 2015

Ok film, but...

A lot of sexual innuendo that left me cringing at several points watching it with my kids. Finally turned it off and decide that they would have to wait a few years to finish it.
Adult Written bychristian2011 June 24, 2013

One of the best comedies out there.

Definitely one of the most hilarious yet smartest comedies ever made. Robin Williams and Sally Field brings such powerhouse performances in this specific film, which is about a divorced dad whom is so desperate to see his children that he disguises himself as a British nanny when he got the opportunity as his ex-wife was currently hiring nannies. Throughout the film, he does just about everything he can in order to see his children yet impress and charm his ex-wife, but more fuel is added to the fire when he figures out that she's dating another man. The perfect family movie.
Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Hilarious, poignant divorce comedy has great messages

Anchored by a terrific Robin Williams, "Mrs. Doubtfire" is a hilarious and heartfelt film, with great character work to center it. Also, this movie should have been rated PG.
Adult Written bymoviewannabe August 31, 2014

How I felt about the movie, it's what it's said in the film review

For a 90's movie, this is the best divorce movie ever. My favorite part was when Daniel's chest caught fire while he was cooking while under wearing the Mrs. Doubtfire disguise. I liked some of the songs that played while Daniel was out in the community. At the beginning when Daniel saw the cartoon parrot smoke a cigarette, he made some lines of his own and he got kicked out of the studio. For kids who have experienced their parents getting divorced should like this.
Parent Written bydoctorpsa@aol.com August 19, 2014

Questionable for kids under 13

I remembered seeing and loving this movie when it came out in theaters 21 years ago. Now that Robin Williams has tragically left us, I wanted to see it again, with my 12 and 14 year old children. I had forgotten all the bad language and many sexual innuendos, as well as some excessive drinking that were in this movie. I was not yet a parent when it came out, so I did not watch with the same mind frame that I do now. My 12 year old asked me "What's foreplay" because it is mentioned in the movie. I was not happy about that... Had I remembered this content, I would not have let my 12 year old see this film for at least another year.
Adult Written byMovieluver101 August 6, 2011

AWwwww soooo sweet

I think this was a wonderful movie. It had some sexual refrences and a couple of words like "ass" and other things but nothing too strong. WAY BETTER THAN TOOTSIE! I think this was a great story and very heartfelt... I cried
Parent Written bymattbruns3 October 25, 2015

Funny movie

This is a really funny movie but it has quite a bit of language. It also has a lot of drinking. Recommended for older kids.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo July 4, 2015

Best Robin Williams Movie!

I loved this movie, but there's just one TINY little detail: so much swearing. A 5-year-old repeats the word "g-dd-mn", after hearing her dad say it. There is also "f--k," "d-mn", "h-ll", "b-strd", "a--hole", "smart-a--", "b-tch", "frigging", and one character does "the middle finger" to another character, but he doesn't see. There is also one sad (and potentially upsetting for younger kids) scene where the two main characters decide to get a divorce.
Adult Written byaidans1 April 4, 2015

Hilarious

Swearing and one minor sexual reference
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 19, 2015

Mrs Doubtfire Review

This Film is a wonderful Choice for the family.. Although it does get a bit suggestive at moments. it is a Film that both the Kids and the parents will enjoy together..
Adult Written byCdP November 11, 2014

Good divorce movie

The pain of divorce can be keenly felt - both by one of the parents as well as the children. My kids (11 and 7) were left saddened by the reality of divorce, but thought some of the scenes were funny. They were confused much of the time, though, and didn't catch many of the jokes. As adults, hubby and I enjoyed it all over again.
Parent Written byDuellFamily September 13, 2014

Fantastically Funny, but WAY TOO MUCH LANGUAGE for kids

I remember watching this movie several years ago. I remember how funny it is, so I thought that my kids, (ages 11, 8 & 8), might think so too. WOW! I forgot how much language is in this movie. Honestly, after every bad word, my 11 year old would turn around and look at me and raise her eyebrows. I kept thinking that the language would get better….but, it didn't. Finally, I had to turn it off. With this movie, it really comes down to, how many bad words do You want your children exposed to? How many bad words do You want them to see You condone? The movie really IS funny. What a shame that this much language is in it.