Parent reviews for Mrs. Doubtfire

You'll laugh, you'll cry. Best divorce movie.

Adult Written byConscious mom September 25, 2017

Excellent movie but too much sexual conversation for kids

A good movie about the love parents have for their children and how to manage divorce. However, it's racy and dialogue is too sexual for children which is unfortunate.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byMeerkat.dog.yo July 4, 2015

Best Robin Williams Movie!

I loved this movie, but there's just one TINY little detail: so much swearing. A 5-year-old repeats the word "g-dd-mn", after hearing her dad say it. There is also "f--k," "d-mn", "h-ll", "b-strd", "a--hole", "smart-a--", "b-tch", "frigging", and one character does "the middle finger" to another character, but he doesn't see.
There is also one sad (and potentially upsetting for younger kids) scene where the two main characters decide to get a divorce.

Parent Written by[email protected] August 19, 2014

Questionable for kids under 13

I remembered seeing and loving this movie when it came out in theaters 21 years ago. Now that Robin Williams has tragically left us, I wanted to see it again, with my 12 and 14 year old children. I had forgotten all the bad language and many sexual innuendos, as well as some excessive drinking that were in this movie. I was not yet a parent when it came out, so I did not watch with the same mind frame that I do now. My 12 year old asked me "What's foreplay" because it is mentioned in the movie. I was not happy about that... Had I remembered this content, I would not have let my 12 year old see this film for at least another year.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Funny, but VERY Questionable...

I let my kids watch this without supervision, under the terms that if it got racy, they were to turn it off. I left for the store, and when I returned, they had stopped watching it.
MRS. DOUBTFIRE is a decent movie with some real laugh-out-loud parts, but it is very racy. There are incountable sexual innuendos that can get raunchy, in addition to language.
Recommended for old teens and adults only.
Adult Written byMatt B. October 25, 2015

Funny movie

This is a really funny movie but it has quite a bit of language. It also has a lot of drinking. Recommended for older kids.
Parent Written byD G August 18, 2015

Ok film, but...

A lot of sexual innuendo that left me cringing at several points watching it with my kids. Finally turned it off and decide that they would have to wait a few years to finish it.

Adult Written by80202dada February 26, 2019

What a bummer - hated this movie

For years I've seen clips of this movie, particularly Mrs. Doubtfire running the vacuum. I always had the impression it's a comedy. But after watching it, this movie really has no idea what it is. I hated it. The dissonance of "comedy" scenes with graphic/dramatic marital fights is painful to watch. And then the scenes of binge drinking (trying to make it look funny, that someone is drunk?...) and even character flaws (hitting someone in the head with a lime thrown from behind, and then lying about it) are just out of place. I watched this, for the first time ever, with my 10 and 12 year old daughters, and I really wish I hadn't. If I could rewind time, I'd never watch it. But if you must watch, then I just don't think it's appropriate under the age of 16.

Adult Written byGurtrude_The_Cool January 16, 2019

A great movie

Who knew that a movie about divorcing could be so funny. I really liked this movie it was really funny. Robin Williams was in it so we already knows it’s going to be funny. This is a great family film if you don’t mind swearing and all that.

Adult Written bydvdgirl November 20, 2018

funny the ending made me cry.

a movie about a father that wants to spend time with his kids. funny I always laugh at the part when he loses his wig ha funny. the ending Is sort of sad but at least he got his kids back, a movie that is important for children who's parents are going threw a divorce but also a light hearted comedy.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byjennaugustyn July 28, 2018

watch before age 8, or wait until much older

This film is loaded with sexual innuendos, and a fair amount of cuss words(though not the worst ones). My kids know that they will hear grown-ups say certain words that are strong and they are too young to know when to use or even decide to use such strong words.
After reading reviews, I realized those innuendos will go over there heads at 7, but in a couple of years they will notice or ask what the movie implies. So we watched it, and won't be enjoying again until MUCH MUCH older. In particular, referencing foreplay, etc. Will keep me from revisiting until at least 13.

Such a great movie though! We are quoting many of Robin Williams character voices around our house now...

Parent Written byjocelynaus June 10, 2018

Fun but includes some very dated ideas regarding LBGTI and fathers roles

It’s a fun movie but dated now and will only become more so. While I remember seeing it as progressive when it was new in my teens, the world has come far in 25 years. The movie depicts a gay couple who show no affection at all. Robin Williams character is ordered to have court supervised visits because he dressed as a woman. I guess impersonating a child care worker is serious but the film focuses only on the trans element without ever indicating it would be ok if he was trans. Few modern films would now either but this also would not be made now as society has progressed a lot in diversity. My kids were really confused about what he had done wrong and frankly I had no way to to explain it beyond that was the thinking back then.

Robin Williams is a delight as always and it is a good film. I don’t think it will stand the test of time now though.

Also way too much drinking, my kids also asked why he was acting drunk as you don’t see that now. Also most modern dads would be able to cook a meal now, especially if they were unemployed!

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byLisaM 21 January 7, 2018

Everything but the F word

I was pretty shocked by the pointless profanity. Romantic themes feature suggested adultery.

Parent Written byDonutGIRL July 25, 2016

It's an okay movie...

We didn't read reviews and watched this with our 10yo while our 1yo played with her toys on the floor. Little ones don't really understand what divorce is, so they may not notice.

Divorce is a topic we haven't discussed with our 10yo yet, and the divorce part deeply upset her.

If you've discussed divorce with your kids, show them this movie. If not, don't bother.

Adult Written byAidan S. April 4, 2015

Hilarious

Swearing and one minor sexual reference
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 19, 2015

Mrs Doubtfire Review

This Film is a wonderful Choice for the family.. Although it does get a bit suggestive at moments. it is a Film that both the Kids and the parents will enjoy together..

Adult Written byCdP November 11, 2014

Good divorce movie

The pain of divorce can be keenly felt - both by one of the parents as well as the children. My kids (11 and 7) were left saddened by the reality of divorce, but thought some of the scenes were funny. They were confused much of the time, though, and didn't catch many of the jokes. As adults, hubby and I enjoyed it all over again.

Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Hilarious, poignant divorce comedy has great messages

Anchored by a terrific Robin Williams, "Mrs. Doubtfire" is a hilarious and heartfelt film, with great character work to center it. Also, this movie should have been rated PG.

Adult Written byDuellFamily September 13, 2014

Fantastically Funny, but WAY TOO MUCH LANGUAGE for kids

I remember watching this movie several years ago. I remember how funny it is, so I thought that my kids, (ages 11, 8 & 8), might think so too. WOW! I forgot how much language is in this movie. Honestly, after every bad word, my 11 year old would turn around and look at me and raise her eyebrows. I kept thinking that the language would get better….but, it didn't. Finally, I had to turn it off. With this movie, it really comes down to, how many bad words do You want your children exposed to? How many bad words do You want them to see You condone? The movie really IS funny. What a shame that this much language is in it.

Adult Written bymoviewannabe August 31, 2014

How I felt about the movie, it's what it's said in the film review

For a 90's movie, this is the best divorce movie ever. My favorite part was when Daniel's chest caught fire while he was cooking while under wearing the Mrs. Doubtfire disguise. I liked some of the songs that played while Daniel was out in the community. At the beginning when Daniel saw the cartoon parrot smoke a cigarette, he made some lines of his own and he got kicked out of the studio. For kids who have experienced their parents getting divorced should like this.

Parent of a 8 and 11-year-old Written byloisj August 31, 2014

Great family movie if you don't care about the language

I know some other reviews here were concerned with the language, but I don't really care about that. My kids are 8 and 11 and although this film is rated PG-13, the content is at the PG level, if you ask me. There is no nudity (far from it); the sexual content is veiled in innuendo and is actually pretty mild (imo), and there is no violence. Score BIG for my 8-year-old who hates movies with bad guys and characters in peril (tried to watch the Muppets new movie, but she left the room!). So I constantly search for movies with conflicts involving no bad guys,. This fit the bill. I highly recommend if you are okay with your kids hearing the d-word, the sh-word, and maybe the a-word. Really I found it all very mild!