Parent reviews for Mrs. Doubtfire

You'll laugh, you'll cry. Best divorce movie.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Funny, but VERY Questionable...

I let my kids watch this without supervision, under the terms that if it got racy, they were to turn it off. I left for the store, and when I returned, they had stopped watching it. MRS. DOUBTFIRE is a decent movie with some real laugh-out-loud parts, but it is very racy. There are incountable sexual innuendos that can get raunchy, in addition to language. Recommended for old teens and adults only.
Parent Written by[email protected] August 19, 2014

Questionable for kids under 13

I remembered seeing and loving this movie when it came out in theaters 21 years ago. Now that Robin Williams has tragically left us, I wanted to see it again, with my 12 and 14 year old children. I had forgotten all the bad language and many sexual innuendos, as well as some excessive drinking that were in this movie. I was not yet a parent when it came out, so I did not watch with the same mind frame that I do now. My 12 year old asked me "What's foreplay" because it is mentioned in the movie. I was not happy about that... Had I remembered this content, I would not have let my 12 year old see this film for at least another year.

Adult Written bywonder dove January 10, 2013

Wonderful family film!!!

Absolutely wonderful movie! Heartwarming storyline, excellent cast, great acting! Robin Williams is amazing, he is definitely one of a kind! When Miranda (Sally Field) wants a divorce from her husband Daniel (Robin Williams), it breaks their three children's hearts. Daniel must go to court hearings and has limited time spent with his kids. He must get a decent job and a place of his own first. He decides to come up with a hilarious scheme by using his amazing talents and becoming an old woman with the help of his brothers. He transforms into Mrs. Doubtfire and replies to Miranda's babysitting ad and gets the job as a caregiver so he can see his kids every day. Embarrassingly enough, his secret starts to unfold and is eventually exposed. The story is super sad and heartfelt. Daniel loved his children so much that he'd do anything to see them each day (literally!). Language is somewhat strong for young kids but it will fly right over their heads I promise! Words like sh*t, b*tch, [email protected], @sshole, [email protected] Sexual content is there but very brief...mostly jokes or slang-talk that kids won't notice. Violence is mild and includes throwing fruit at a guys head, a thief tries to steal a woman's purse, the middle finger is used, arguing. There is a good amount of alcohol in a restaurant scene where Mrs. Doubtfire & Daniel himself get very tipsy, also drinking at a family outing. All in all, the perfect comedy for families with mature 10+ kids!

Parent of a 5, 7, 10, and 11 year old Written bykpreston February 17, 2011

Adult Written byvengle723 February 4, 2012

better than i remember it

i watched this with my kids who are 9, 6, and 3. i didn't expect the younger two to stick with it til the end, but they were actually pretty interested throughout. there's enough silly humor, slapstick, and goofy voicing to keep them interested, although i think most kids under about 7 are probably not going to be that into it. the movie prompted questions about divorce and drinking, which was fine by me. there are several conspicuous swear words, which i just addressed as they came up, and there's a fair amount of sexual humor that went above the kids' heads. what i liked best about this movie was the fact that each of the adult characters--mom, dad, and new boyfriend--had some depth; each had a valid perspective, and each was acting with honorable motives, even if those motives sometimes conflicted or led to unconventional behavior. the parents' divorce was presented as sad and difficult, but not tragic, and not insurmountable.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byabaziky98 August 1, 2010

Awesome

Robin Williams' best movie ever. More good stuff than bad, although language includes "s--t," "b--ch" and more.

Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

A movie targeted at the wrong audience (kids)

Not suitable for under 13s. Too much sexual references.

Parent Written byD G August 18, 2015

Ok film, but...

A lot of sexual innuendo that left me cringing at several points watching it with my kids. Finally turned it off and decide that they would have to wait a few years to finish it.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byloisj August 31, 2014

Great family movie if you don't care about the language

I know some other reviews here were concerned with the language, but I don't really care about that. My kids are 8 and 11 and although this film is rated PG-13, the content is at the PG level, if you ask me. There is no nudity (far from it); the sexual content is veiled in innuendo and is actually pretty mild (imo), and there is no violence. Score BIG for my 8-year-old who hates movies with bad guys and characters in peril (tried to watch the Muppets new movie, but she left the room!). So I constantly search for movies with conflicts involving no bad guys,. This fit the bill. I highly recommend if you are okay with your kids hearing the d-word, the sh-word, and maybe the a-word. Really I found it all very mild!
Adult Written bychristian2011 June 24, 2013

One of the best comedies out there.

Definitely one of the most hilarious yet smartest comedies ever made. Robin Williams and Sally Field brings such powerhouse performances in this specific film, which is about a divorced dad whom is so desperate to see his children that he disguises himself as a British nanny when he got the opportunity as his ex-wife was currently hiring nannies. Throughout the film, he does just about everything he can in order to see his children yet impress and charm his ex-wife, but more fuel is added to the fire when he figures out that she's dating another man. The perfect family movie.

Adult Written byMeerkat.dog.yo July 4, 2015

Best Robin Williams Movie!

I loved this movie, but there's just one TINY little detail: so much swearing. A 5-year-old repeats the word "g-dd-mn", after hearing her dad say it. There is also "f--k," "d-mn", "h-ll", "b-strd", "a--hole", "smart-a--", "b-tch", "frigging", and one character does "the middle finger" to another character, but he doesn't see. There is also one sad (and potentially upsetting for younger kids) scene where the two main characters decide to get a divorce.

Adult Written byConscious mom September 25, 2017

Excellent movie but too much sexual conversation for kids

A good movie about the love parents have for their children and how to manage divorce. However, it's racy and dialogue is too sexual for children which is unfortunate.

Parent Written byDonutGIRL July 25, 2016

It's an okay movie...

We didn't read reviews and watched this with our 10yo while our 1yo played with her toys on the floor. Little ones don't really understand what divorce is, so they may not notice. Divorce is a topic we haven't discussed with our 10yo yet, and the divorce part deeply upset her. If you've discussed divorce with your kids, show them this movie. If not, don't bother.

Adult Written byMatt B. October 25, 2015

Funny movie

This is a really funny movie but it has quite a bit of language. It also has a lot of drinking. Recommended for older kids.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 19, 2015

Mrs Doubtfire Review

This Film is a wonderful Choice for the family.. Although it does get a bit suggestive at moments. it is a Film that both the Kids and the parents will enjoy together..

Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Hilarious, poignant divorce comedy has great messages

Anchored by a terrific Robin Williams, "Mrs. Doubtfire" is a hilarious and heartfelt film, with great character work to center it. Also, this movie should have been rated PG.

Adult Written bymoviewannabe August 31, 2014

How I felt about the movie, it's what it's said in the film review

For a 90's movie, this is the best divorce movie ever. My favorite part was when Daniel's chest caught fire while he was cooking while under wearing the Mrs. Doubtfire disguise. I liked some of the songs that played while Daniel was out in the community. At the beginning when Daniel saw the cartoon parrot smoke a cigarette, he made some lines of his own and he got kicked out of the studio. For kids who have experienced their parents getting divorced should like this.

Adult Written byMovieluver101 August 6, 2011

AWwwww soooo sweet

I think this was a wonderful movie. It had some sexual refrences and a couple of words like "ass" and other things but nothing too strong. WAY BETTER THAN TOOTSIE! I think this was a great story and very heartfelt... I cried

Parent of a 6 year old Written byLisaM 21 January 7, 2018

Everything but the F word

I was pretty shocked by the pointless profanity. Romantic themes feature suggested adultery.

Adult Written byaidans1 April 4, 2015

Hilarious

Swearing and one minor sexual reference