Parent reviews for Mulan (2020)

Martial arts epic is more intense, violent than original.

Adult Written bywatts516 September 4, 2020

Best version of Mulan yet

My wife and I love the Disney animated version as do our girls (5 & 7). We wanted to see if it was appropriate for them and, it really depends on their maturity level. The story is more or less the same as the animated version. However, there is one particular scene when the Imperial Army goes to find the enemy that we determined may be scary for our 5 year old.

Description:
The enemy is attempting to strike fear into the Imperial Army and left a "scene" for the new recruits to see; the aftermath of an attack on a garrison, with "bodies" (really just see the armor) all over. It only lasts about 15 seconds, but it could be disturbing for younger viewers.

Overall:
It was a great movie and we both enjoyed it over the animated version. Only hints of affection and nothing gratuitous. No language issues at all. Blood is used very sparingly in maybe one or two scenes.

I think a good average age to see this version is around 10, as they will have the ability to fully understand what is going on and why.

Adult Written byBrick12 September 6, 2020

Way Worse than expected

The action scenes are cool and kind of epic. But they took what was good from the original and got rid of it. There is no fun in this movie and felt very mature for a disney re-make. It's a lot more violent and even a little weird when she takes off her clothes to bathe in the river. Honestly not worth time or money. It's a very cheasy movie and really shows no progress to Mulan's character. She doesn't have to learn anything as she is born with special powers. All she has to do is accept the fact that she is not a guy and she can do crazy things

Adult Written by0Starlight September 5, 2020

Not the female empowerment it used to be

It is a more drawn out and mature movie than the original. It abandons many of the positive messages from the original and no longer conveys that you can make a change in the world without being a chosen on or radical and exceptions are only made for special people.

We watched this with the grandparents and it no longer felt like a good empowering movie. It has changed to fit more of a chosen one type story and has removed the musical elements and climatic moments of the original animated film. The wayfinder Phoenix they’ve added and chi storylines have made the movie feel like Mary Sue plot.

If your watching this with younger kiddos they probably won’t enjoy it and if they haven’t seen the original animated film there will surely be plenty of confusion about what’s going on in this movie as it doesn’t go over certain plot details be it’s expected you already knew these things based off the original film. In a sense it’s more of a film for boys than little girls.

I wouldn’t recommend paying for it though unless you have a large family who all want to watch it. But it is supposed to be free on Disney plus this December.

Adult Written byRichard richardson September 6, 2020

Terrible movie!

Don’t bother.

Adult Written byFamilyFriendlyM... September 9, 2020

Good Overall, but More Nudity Than Expected

Overall, the movie was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. It was very clean too, EXCEPT for the bathing scene. I have a huge issue with that. Though it is slightly blurred, probably 98% of backside a naked woman is shown center-screen for a few loooong seconds. It leaves very little to the imagination and is shown in a sexual way. I am upset that nothing in the movie ratings or even other reviews mentioned this. The entire rest of the movie was very modest and clean, but this scene DEFINITELY showed more skin than I think is appropriate for a family movie (or any movie really). They should have indicated that this was included in the movie.

The violence wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I did have my eyes closed for some of it haha. So refer to other reviews for that part. I don't recall any swearing or much crude humor.

If they could just cut out that unnecessary nudity, I would be much happier with the movie.

Adult Written byKittymoon September 8, 2020

Was nothing like the animation

Omg this could have had a different name but this movie was poorly done seem like they rush the movie what happened look like the movie was more a play where they keep all the cast in one spot to save money they should have use more imagination was not for kids this was more like Mulan the warrior what I love mulan the Animation more Disney work harder to make things look more real then a play at Broadway.

Adult Written bybenstanley September 6, 2020

Hardly deserving a PG-13 rating

In terms of content, this adaptation just barely crosses over the line to PG-13. There is literally no swearing, no drinking, and little blood or gore. Yes, it has much more battling than the original, but other than a few drops, you pretty much never see any blood. Majority of the violence is implied, with the only shocking thing being bloodless arrows in chests. There is also a scene showing Mulan bathing and one shot from behind the actress shows her completely nude, but only her shoulders are seen the rest of the scene.

In terms of the quality of the movie, it tells the story and message much more fully than the original, but it’s frankly less entertaining than the animation. There’s a lot of heart, but little fun. It’s worth giving a shot. It would be a lot more entertaining if you go in not planning to compare to the original and see it as a epic story of a brave young woman honoring her family.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byMacawa0904 September 13, 2020

Sucked all the fun out of this movie

This movie was not fun at all. I get why they would take out the cartoon stereotypes but they could have at least replaced them. It is wildly admonished by the Asian community and very pro-mainland China and pro-government. If you want to expose your non-Asian child to Asian culture (as I did), this isn't the movie.

The lead antagonist is a strong female that is suppressed by men. There is no redemption for that part of the story. All of the sudden it's "girl power" and no more depth to the character. Then you have the hyper masculine military unit that with almost no pushback decides to blindly follow her into battle.

This is very inconsistent with it's magic. She is strong like a Jedi and then not a Jedi.

Adult Written byDankDumplings September 13, 2020

T R A S H

Dear Jesus what is this trash? In accurate to the Chinese culture (I know... I live and work in China), terrible acting (according to the whole world including China, totally a split from the 1998 masterpiece, and inaccurate to the history of Mulan. What angle were you pursuing directors? How can you mess up so bad... I cringed every moment... it might actually be worse than the live action Avatar the last Airbender. Niki Caro, go end your career mate... did you know that one of the directors of Mulan 2020 researched Chinese culture for years to make their adopted child from China comfortable and have a natural upbringing? And that’s why the first one was so good? The Chinese people actually find this remake offensive and stupid. Majority in China views Liu Yifei (2020 Mulan actress) as an actress that only gets roles because of her rich Hong Kong BF and his connections. She is viewed as the “actress who looks good but acts trash and has no soul in her eyes”. I literally made this account just to state the truth about this crap... Disney please remake it and have Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook come back to give is true respect. I and so many other fans are sooo disappointed. dang... 2020 got worse... There are so many fake reviews out there praising this... why??? Are they paying you?? Please stop
Adult Written bykishar September 9, 2020

Great!

This is a great family film.

Adult Written bysaidItoyou September 20, 2020

Great but did not live up to my expection!

This movie was good and all but yet... it did not live up to my expectation. I thought it was a bit more exciting- not that it wasn't- but it wasn't as intense as I thought. The movie wasn't intense( some scary moments, that's all). 9+ could proably watch this movie. I mean: no original Mulan musics, no Shang, no Mushu. What were they thinking!!! I guess that's why is wasn't that great....

Adult Written byRhm_89 September 18, 2020

Mediocre

I think the movie was pretty mediocre at best which is ashame considering the length. I think the storyline needed something more to get invested. Characters were eh and the writing was was eh. Considering this and the surrounding controversy of the film I would skip this film. Not bad but not really worth one's investment.
Adult Written byAnton Christian September 17, 2020

Clean and Beautifull

True to the original animation.
The mysticism was almost non existing. Which is great.
Fantastic to watch. It felt like the old days when Walt Disney still made good movies without any agendas.
No swearing what a blessing!

Adult Written byscarlettthedrag... September 16, 2020

good but can’t beat the beauty and the beast remake

I liked the new mulan I would probably have to watch the original again but i think I like this one better but it could have done a lot better if it had songs in like the original also mushu doesn’t appear in it and Shang character been spilt into two so mulan can have a love interest who not her commander I also liked the new witch villain she is very mysterious though out the movie and I heard she is what mulan would have become if she went down a darker path it not as good as other remakes I saw but it worth a go and is going to be free on Disney plus on the 4 of December

Parent of a 5-year-old Written bytimfitz99 September 8, 2020

Really good remake... confused about the PG-13

We really enjoyed this version of Mulan. I'm not sure why it got a PG-13; certainly there is a lot of violence, but it's all bloodless. Our 5-year old, who is occasionally scared of violence in kid's movies (stay away from THE GOOD DINOSAUR!), had no problem with it.

Adult Written bydenise_p_111 September 6, 2020

The Live Action Mulan movie is good

I just watched the live action Mulan movie yesterday and I have to say that it was good. This movie has a lot of action packed scenes than the animated one. It also has a lot of violence in the movie. Also, there's this one non- graphic partial nudity scene where Mulan strips down to take a bath in the river and one scene behind her shows her naked, but her private parts were covered up and not shown graphically. The live action Mulan movie is way different from the animated one, but still it's a good movie.

Parent of a 8 and 12-year-old Written byLdaugherty6578 September 5, 2020

First movie we’ve watched in forever that didn’t have cursing!

Can’t say enough about what a great movie this was!!

Adult Written byvargasandrea214 September 5, 2020

Different from original but good

I was skeptical when I heard that many of the characters from the original would not be there (mushu). I did come here first, but my family wanted to see it. The movie was good, different, yes there's much violence. However, if you want to have a good feeling movie with this movie you will. There are many different things in this movie, but you will have a satisfaction if you are not trying to get the same movie. All remakes are different, but overall it is a well done movie. Good acting.
There's no singing, more serious, but my six year old was able to see it. It is all about the parents how they feel with their kids watching this movie. Of course there must be an explanation.
You will enjoy this movie in a different aspect for sure.

Parent Written byJames Baker September 4, 2020

Positive feminine messages with more violence than you’d expect from Disney

I never watched the original Mulan film but both my sons (ages 8 & 11) had. Based on their ongoing commentary, there were lots of aspects that were the same as the original.

In terms of age suitability, I was surprised at the amount of violence for a Disney film. There are lots of battled and one-on-one fighting which is filmed up close and you can clearly see stabbings, choke holds and other violent acts. All these are required for the films storyline and it is not gratuitous and there is no blood or gore.

There are no particularly scary scenes in the film, the lead baddie is not overly fear inducing even though he is scary looking and the witch is portrayed as powerful but again not in an overly scary way.

The story is excellent and uplifting and shows not only the struggles young women had in China but how Mulan overcame the odds to rise up and lead, a great story for your daughter’s to hear. When my daughter is old enough, I will certainly be showing her this film.

My recommendation on age is 10 due to the amount of violence. There are no inappropriate nudity scenes (in one scene you see the naked back of Mulan). As usual, you have to make your own judgement based on your own child. I was more than happy for my 8 year old to watch it as his older brother exposes him to martial arts in a daily basis, he is obsessed with everything Disney and he is unfazed by fighting scenes in films.

If you are happy with your kids seeing lots of fighting, then you will love this film as a family. The locations, Cinematography, costumes, performances and moral of the story are all worth watching this film.

Adult Written byMovielover80 September 4, 2020

Great family night movie

This movie is awesome it has an amazing positive message. We all enjoyed watching it.