Kid reviews for Mulan (2020)

Martial arts epic is more intense, violent than original.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySmartcriticdude September 4, 2020

Goodness Gracious (spoilers below)

Ok, so before I before I become a total Debbie Downer I have some positives.
The Scenery is great when you can tell its not CGI.
The action scenes are pretty good.

Ok so now I have to get negative.
To make this a more grounded take on Mulan they get rid of all the charm of the original. No songs and no Mushu. (Eddie Murphy) Yeah, and there’s also a witch lady who turns into a hawk.
Most of the acting is pretty bland especially by the main actress who plays Mulan.

The message that the original Mulan gave was that you can rise up above stereotypes and to great things. It also gave the message that all lies come to the surface, so yeah,
LIFE LESSONS RECEIVED
This movie’s version of Mulan was born special and with great gifts. So while Mulan is training she’s not trying to become stronger so she can be a great warrior, she’s trying not to show her special abilities to everyone. So the message given is that you can be great and ride up... if you were born great.
This was very disappointing and I totally wouldn’t recommend watching unless you want your childhood destroyed.
Teen, 15 years old Written byVulpixel September 4, 2020

Missed its target audience

A kid won’t be able to sit through this. It has no songs or humor and the pacing isn’t clear enough. Don’t spend money on it.

Set is beautiful, special effects are terrible. Is too different from original to appeal to fans.

P.S. I’m pretty sure most of the budget was blown on advertising. Call me paranoid, but some of the reviews seem planted by Disney. And I’m not sure it deserves that ribbon.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBobfish September 9, 2020

Worse than the original in every way

This is a boring, soulless remake that strips away everything good about the original, completely butchering all great messages from that movie. Don't even bother watching.
Kid, 9 years old September 9, 2020

Ruined my Childhood

I nearly cried after i saw the trailer for this movie. This shows that Disney is making terrible movies only for money and ruining people's childhoods. Either watch the original, or cancel your Disney+ subscription. Some reviews even say that the movie has gender stereotypes. WHAT?!?

Teen, 14 years old Written byGryffindorLordo... September 5, 2020

Hmmmm.

Well, it's hard. There were some aspects of the movie that I liked and some aspects that I didn't. I'll start with the pros.

1. The martial arts training was incredibly choreographed and amazing to watch.
2. The soundtrack, while undeniably like Star Wars, was excellent. Perhaps because of the fact haha, (huge Star Wars fan :-).)
3. Xianniang was a very complex and developed character. It was interesting to watch her story arc throughout the movie.
4. Strong themes of upholding tradition and honor's importance, I also loved how Mulan was a strong yet humble leader.

Ok. Here are the cons.

1. This movie felt relatively shallow and lacked so much of the depth that the original had.
2. Some very close calls regarding nudity, but nothing graphic - although it is implied.
3. I missed Mushu! I understand why they took him out, but I missed the little wisecracking dragon. :-) ("Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your family! Dishonor on your cow!!")
4. The character development fell below par and didn't have the richness that characterized the original.

Overall, as you've probably gathered by now, I have very mixed feelings. I think it is worth a watch, but don't begin with the expectation that it will be like the original or else you will be disappointed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review :-) God bless.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDamatrix99 September 10, 2020

Non-female empowering

In the original, it was about making yourself more powerful, by working your way up, which is super empowering. In this version, she starts off as the all powerful chosen one Neo second coming of christ. If anything, this lessens the empowerment because it says only chosen people can be powerful, not all people. Also they said that got rid of the amazing music, Eddie Murphy dragon, and the cricket to make the movie more "realistic", even though they use Bollywood physics, one of the new villains can transfer from human into bird, and Mulan is the chosen one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjustheretowrite... September 20, 2020

Terrible.

Okay, Mulan 2020... where do I start. So first of all, they took away Mushu and replaced him with a no -name phoenix that basically does nothing. They took away all the songs and Li Shang. That is just the surface. While this movie looks feminist, it is actually not. That is because Mulan just so happens to be blessed by the goods with great chi. Only the select few females who just so happen to be blessed have the chance of catching up with males. Another thing is that they took away the scene where Mulan climbs the pole to the top. She solves her problem by using her problem solving skills, tying the 2 weights together so that she doesn't slip. They replaced this scene with her climbing up the mountain with 2 buckets of water. She simply does it better. She doesn't use any sort of problem solving skill, she just takes a deep breath and then walks up the mountain. Another thing is that in the animated version, she saves the emperor because she sees him as a fellow human being in the need of help. In the live action, she saves him because apparently it is her duty. Also, the line "Black Wind and I went for a ride today, and we rode along 2 hares, I think one was female and one was male" something along those lines. In the actual ballad of mulan, her comrades come visit her and see her with a dress and a face of makeup, and they all go how did we not notice you were a girl? and she goes, "The male hare's foot go skip and hop, the female hares eyes are fuddled, but when they are running side by side, how can you tell female from male?" The point of this is to say when women and men fight or do anything together, physical differences don't matter, and you can't tell them apart! Also, the acting in this is not good. Liu Yifei kinda acts like Bella Swan from Twilight, and her father when he found out Mulan was gone, the reaction was so bland compared to the animated movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written byZoroarkGaming10 September 19, 2020

soul-less Remake

Its a shameless cast grab by Disney because they don't have to try to make money anymore. It has no substance and losses all meaning of the original.
Kid, 9 years old September 13, 2020

Underwhelming

Well I personally feel the main problem of this movie is its impact. The villains only have two or three scenes apart from the fight sequences so their motivations (for example one villain having his father killed) don't really have the weight expressed. Mulan herself goes through ABSOLUTELY no character development whatsoever. She's just an overpowered warrior, and the only thing wrong with her is that she doesn't use enough of her power (called chi). Now how do you expect to get a true lasting message with a character like that? And well apart from that, the battle sequences are pretty cool but feels very underwhelming as you don't really root for the characters to live considering NO character in this movie can really be cared for. The characters are as two-dimensional as two-dimensional gets. The scenery and the special effects are fine I guess, the battle scenes are like your typical battlefield war film just without all the blood and gore. Honestly just don't waste your money on this, it isn't even worth your time if you get it free. I forgot every single scene the day after I watched it. It was not impactful whatsoever, and the attempts at humour were failed, and the score isn't really that memorable. If you're ever going to watch this, just know that like a typical war film, there is violence, but almost no blood. Don't let children under 8 see this film. Overall, just don't spend your time or money on this. I'm very sure the original is much more worth your time.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAngeline D September 10, 2020

Worst movie I have watched in a while

I'm not kidding. If I could give 0 stars, I would. I cried after I saw this. The animated Mulan is my favorite Disney movie and I could not bear to see the story twisted into such a horrible rendition. What are we even trying to teach young girls?! That they can change around 4 thousand years of sexism provided that they have some magic mojo? Oh! And they should make dangerous decisions and never own up to the consequences? There was NO character development and the actors were like blocks of wood. The script was so cliche that it was like watching a movie from the 70s. I had to go back and watch the old Mulan to restore my faith in humanity.

Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2020

Hmmm. It was okay.

I thought it was good and had a good message overall, but there’s no fun in it. Mulan literally has no emotion in it (only when she was a child), plus, Mushu and Cri Kee were taken out! And there was a scene were Mulan was naked in a pond and a man joins her thinking she is a guy! No graphics just very disturbing and awkward. Oh and a lot of violence. I wasn’t very happy with that but if you’re a potter head like me, then you’ll know that the story line is exactly like Harry Potter! Me and my friends made jokes about all night when we saw it. So I hope this helps.

Teen, 15 years old Written byoosikmoorza September 6, 2020

Not very bad at all.

There is absolutely no swearing or drugs or anything like that in this film. There is some violence, but it is pretty tame and there is no blood at all.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLoranikas303 September 5, 2020
See this before you watched this! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yc93j0bbk
Sorry, no mu-shu, Li-Shang, Cri-Kee and Hayabusa replaced and a bad news.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykpupbear1923 September 4, 2020

Really...watch it

this movie is great! it has action, and the storyline is sort of relatable to real life for some families.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOpdude September 4, 2020

Really good

This is a really good movie

Teen, 17 years old Written byIReadALot September 25, 2020

Avoid like the plague

Heartless retelling of the original that undermines the entire message of the original. If you think it's more mature because it's grittier and earns a PG-13 rating, you're incredibly stupid. Mulan isn't a great character anymore. She was made out to start out weak, but prove herself. Here, she becomes another Mary-Sue. Content wise there is some violence, but since there are 2 paywalls, do yourself a favor, and watch the animated movie. Pray that it doesn't make it's money back and Disney learns not to stop making soulless adaptations of classics.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDisneyhasturned... September 25, 2020

The kids bop Disney channel half arsed remake of a once epic tale

See above title

Teen, 14 years old Written byRonnie31 September 25, 2020

Not Bad

The film was not bad: it had interesting scenes and the plot was interesting.
But I prefer the original movie "Mulan". In the original film Mulan is a feminist who goes to war because she fears for her father.
In Mulan's Live Action movie, Mulan just has special powers.

In the original film Mulan knew nothing about war and learned everything in the military camp.
She learned it through hard work and perseverance, in the live action movie she was just good at it from birth. The message in the two films is very different.

And also, I really miss Mushu.
Too bad they didn't put him in the movie.
I'm sad about that.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLxk3 September 25, 2020
Teen, 16 years old Written byYouEatOats September 24, 2020

No charm.

Basically, they removed every interesting character, replaced a love interest because of "sexual tension", and has no character development. Doesn't help when this is the most controversial Disney movie. It's just a huge "bruh" moment.