All parent member reviews for Mulan

Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

Mulan is the best disney 'princess'

This is a great movie for all children to watch. It encourages the viewers to overcome gender stereotyping and that women are capable of doing the same things men are. It is comedic and was among my favorite childhood movies, it is too bad that Mulan isn't exactly considered a 'disney princess' like the rest are. A good movie to watch.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace June 4, 2011

Disney gets it right- again.

Mulan is a movie about a girl who pretends to be a guy so she can go to fight in the army to prevent her elderly father from fighting. Sensitive kids may be frightened by the main villain and a few fighting scenes... but they will take good messages from the movie. Throughout the movie Mulan learns to accept herself for who she is. Mulan is a movie about honor and integrity, despite Mulan pretending to be a guy. At times this movie can be corny for adults but overall Mulan is a movie the whole family can enjoy.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byCuseMom October 20, 2012

Rated PG in our opinion, but worth watching!

Even I was scared during the battle scenes, and the villain is SCARY! In my opinion, this is definitely a movie you'd want to watch WITH any child under the age of 10; however, the movie offers a wonderful lesson in being strong and following your "inner compass." We were all amazed by Mulan's bravery, strength, and intelligence. She is a true she-ro!!!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Film that Brings Honor to the Disney Family

It's always refreshing to see a princess who has better things to do than wait around for a man, and Mulan is one of these. She certainly fits the "girl power" mold, but she tempers this with femininity, love of family, and a true desire to follow her culture's mores of honor. Her relationship with two living parents (rare in the Disney canon) is definitely worth noting, as is her growth as a character. As one reviewer noted, Mulan's story does revolve to some extent around rebellion against authority. In context, this is somewhat understandable; Mulan had very little choice, but it's worth discussing with kids that her decision was technically disobedient. Battle scenes will be disturbing for young children, as will the dialogue and appearance of the Huns. Judeo-Christian parents may want to discuss the motif of ancestor worship as well. But for those families ready to do so, this is an enjoyable film to watch.
Adult Written bybluejelloshots May 31, 2012

Mulan the Gender Bender

My favorite Disney film. The music is excellent--not the usual schlock that accompanies Disney plots. The Mulan character is funny, warm, likeable, brave and smart. The best thing about Mulan is that she doesn't do well at "girl" things that are narrowly defined in the film's version of Chinese culture. But she still succeeds because she is brilliant and brave. I love that she gives a role model to girls like I was...capable in things not honored in women by society.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

Best Disney Movie Ever

Both my daughters and I love this movie. We watched it over and over when they were younger. The story, the characters, the songs, and of course Eddie Murphy as Mushu; even better than his Donkey. I also have to admit it's one of my all time favorite movies ever. A true girl power movie!
Adult Written byThepheonixcorp September 20, 2010

Im Hunnish, But im not a monster!

I hate how they don't talk about how the hunnish race is today, I'm catholic, I'm smart. I even take algebra, Im in the Civil air patrol, and signing up for the rotc! I am also an inventer who uses electricity for my project vehicles! Not all hunnish people are monsters. Look up Budapest online! You see anything bad? If you do tell me.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMainemom87 February 21, 2010

A movie about a girl that boys will like!

My two boys love this movie. It has given us many chances to talk about how girls and boys can be heroic. They agree that most of the girls they know would rather be like Mulan than a princess. Also a good chance to talk about a culture with traditions very different from theirs. Sure, there are some fairly lame stereotypes in this film but I think the good far out weighs them.
Adult Written bykcmorg April 9, 2008

A wonderful movie

I found this movie to be just wonderful. My son, whom was 4 at the time he watched this, was just enthralled and loved to watch this movie over and over. I beleive this movie provides a great message; that anyone, whether male or female, can do anything that they put their mind to. As with most animated Disney movies, the animation was just beautiful. This movie also takes a child into a different culture, giving them a little idea of life other than the "American Way". If you are a DVD collector of Disney films, I would highly recommend adding this one to your collection,
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

One of the best Disney movies

This was my favourite Disney movie when I was little, and still is. I think it does a fantastic job telling the story, while keeping within the boundaries for the young ones. I remember finding the action in the movie, though moderate, very exciting and enthralling from when I was younger. Fantastic movie for all ages.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byMaraS June 29, 2015

Five year old was scared

I love this movie but my five year old daughter was too frightened by it. The war scenes are just too intense. I will try again when she's six or seven but just wanted to warn parents with sensitive daughters.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 30, 2012

Decent but not my favorite

7.75/10
Adult Written byraquelp1234 November 6, 2011

Good movie about teaching kids to try their best.

Adult Written byTeacher2010 July 29, 2011

Good to learn about other cultures.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 May 7, 2010

Proud to have my daughter watch this one

Love it! Positives: Mulan is the first - and only - female Disney character that has gumption and skill. Doesn't rely on her beauty and relationship with The Man to get her through tough times. Actually rescues the men herself - several times. Overcomes cultural and social obstacles against women. Struggles with her own self-image (what I see in the mirror isn't really me inside - how to truly be myself). Even though she ultimately made a romantic connection with the hero dude, there was no wedding. Mulan remains a strong - and attractive - woman warrior. Negatives: Didn't much like the soldiers' song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" and their wolf whistling at the women in the fields. Didn't like the cultural stereotyping (banging a gong every so often, Mushu's disparaging comments about Chinese customs). Didn't like that American ways and customs (individuality, speaking your mind) were presented as more appealing than traditional Asian ways (family/community cohesion, obedience to elders). But I think the fact Mulan was shown as an ASIAN AMERICAN, rather than the ancient Chinese warrior woman of the actual story, made it easier for American girls to relate. Overall a positive thing.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylesliepave February 20, 2010

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tween

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bykekumukula November 11, 2009

You go, Mulan!

As a Chinese-American, I found this movie to be a positive one for our culture and my two girls. They LOVE this movie and watch it at least once a week. It is a typical, Disney movie where the plot involves problem/solution and of course there is an ugly bad guy. But in the end, the heroine prevails. Mulan teaches children that it is okay to follow your heart even if it means going against the grain. She also shows how girls/women can be strong and brave also and that they can be smart and inventive too!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

good movie

good movie but lots of fighting and vilonce!
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008