All parent member reviews for Muppets Most Wanted

Parent Written bybhyde March 21, 2014

Scary

Gave my six year old boy nightmares. The "bad" Kermit makes everyone think he is good Kermit and good Kermit gets locked up. Bad Kermit gives Miss Piggy a wedding ring that is a bomb. Very scary for my kid because he now thinks people who he thought were good could be bad people in disguise.
Educator and Parent Written byMomofmightygirls March 23, 2014

Awful and very disappointing!

We love the muppets and were so excited to see this movie with our family. Wow were we disappointed! Our 5 year old was terrified and crying within with first 20 minutes. Whoever thought putting her beloved Kermit in a straight jacket, mask and throwing him in jail...bad idea. It was really heartbreaking to see what has been done with this movie. Bad call disney. We have come to understand that disney often puts very adult and scary concepts in some of their other films but why mess up the good lighthearted fun of the muppets? The muppets are supposed to be a fun family movie. This was anything but! Our daughter can't even sleep because of nightmares about the Muppets at this point. How sad is that!
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byNHBookWorm March 23, 2014

Dark for a Muppet Movie

If I think about the last Muppet movie, I think of happy songs, sunshine, and an overall good feeling. I also think of laughing so hard I cried. Just the opposite with this film. I think of darkness (a lot of the movie is set in a gulag). In all honesty, there are two images of Kermit that I can never un-see: him transported to the gulag contained like Hannibal Lector: Face mask, tied to gurney. Freaky. And then another, Constantine (bad Kermit) with an iron-jaw snarling at the good guys. Really freaky. I took my 9-year-old and my 6-year-old. My 9-year-old was fine, my 6-year-old was frightened by those scenes. My personal critique, other than that, is that the music is nowhere near as catchy and memorable as the previous movies (very first in the 70's and the last with Amy Adams having the best music). Usually my kids are singing the songs after a good movie, but not the case with this one. The story itself isn't bad--typical movie plot line. Mix-up of good and bad guy. Friends have to rescue good guy. But again, nothing outstanding. The weakness is the inclusion of those freaky scenes and here's why: they were completely unnecessary, other than for parents to say "haha, it looks like Silence of the Lambs." For the kids, those scenes were just freaky images that did nothing to promote the story line. Why did Kermit need a face mask as HL did in SOTL? No reason. The "bad" Kermit he was mistaken for never had one, so why did he? If it's not needed to propel the storyline, if it could easily be cut without affecting the story, it should've been cut. My youngest son covered his eyes during those scenes and, honestly, he hasn't had bad dreams or anything. I only question the movie as it might bother other children. And, in general, I feel the movie was just "dark"--I can't think of another way to describe it. I didn't really even think there was a great "message" for kids to take away. Even Kermit says something to the effect of "wait--you didn't even realize I was gone???"
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bycarriebabel April 22, 2014

Inappropriate for under 7!!

Love common sense media...but I think the age recommendation on this one is wrong! The movie was quite dark, Constantine the frog was scary, and a lot of the plot was hard for kids to comprehend. Parts were entertaining for kids, but really, it's more of a movie for adults who were muppets fans. This was a mistake for us...our boy had to leave twice ,as he was too scared.
Adult Written byhoffmans71 March 24, 2014

Gulags not funny

There definitely some bits that may be to scary for little ones. I can't get past the abomination of setting part of it in a Soviet Gulag. They could have used some made up prison in Russia. But the Gulags are one of history's horrible atrocities. Its where thousands of men and women died under Stalin. Even with the funny bits I can't quite get past that.
Parent Written byjmir April 5, 2014

Good movie, not for young kids

I agree with the previous reviewer that the gulag jokes are not funny but overall I enjoyed it and the other adults in the theater were laughing too. But this is not a movie for young kids at all. My 8 year old was scared during the movie and had trouble sleeping at hight afterward. Its hard to imagine how a felt frog can frighten a child but with the dramatic music and effect lighting, it was intense at times. I selected "too much violence" because they don't have a general "too scary" option. That would have been a better fit.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byAnother Helen March 29, 2014

had to leave halfway through

A fun movie for adults and over 7s, but my almost 6 yr old was confused and frightened by the plot and I had to take her out halfway through. Far too much bombing, violence and jokes that adults get but kids don't. Even my 8 yr old had to cling to her dad in bits, although she loved it.
Parent Written bylpb March 24, 2014
For the most part, I enjoyed the movie as an adult, but as other reviewers have mentioned, it can be scary for children. My almost 5 year old is having trouble sleeping after seeing the movie today. There are some frightening scenes involving Constantine.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byshelly524 April 11, 2014

More violent than expected

I love the Muppets and was quite excited to see the latest installment. I was surprised by the violence in the beginning of the film. Fighting, bombs, etc., is not what I have come to expect from the Muppets. My five year old was affected by the violence and darkness of this film. I would not recommend taking young children to see this. I'm disappointed in Disney.
Adult Written bycourtwork March 24, 2014

Creative fun with good cameos

My husband and I took our two kids (7 and 11) to see this movie, and we all four really enjoyed it. It's fun and fast paced (for a muppet movie). The creators did a great job of keeping the integrity of the old muppet characters while concocting an updated, engaging, action packed story - impressive, as many modern sequels fail at this, in my opinion. It was exciting enough to keep my husband (who usually falls asleep in kids' movies) and our 11 year old interested. There are explosions and suspenseful moments, as well as humor and lots of celebrity cameos. I particularly enjoyed the character of the French Interpol. The content is appropriate for both of my kids, however, the 7 year old was concerned at moments during the film. Kermit is treated roughly by the "bad guys" and the authorities, and even though he is a stuffed animal, this might be upsetting to younger kids. The explosions are real and my 11 year old thought this was awesome, however, some parents may not prefer this for their little ones. I think this movie is a real gem in that people and kids of all ages will enjoy it, which makes it fun for the whole family. I recommend this film for anyone who is 7 and up.
Parent Written byophelia53 March 23, 2014

Slightly scary

Generally a good movie. I found almost nothing inappropriate or offensive. Many of the mild "adult" jokes went by so quickly that my almost 4 and almost 6 year-old didn't question it. I agree with other reviewers about it being "dark," with scenes in a prison, evil Kermit having jaws like the 007 villain, etc. I didn't expect our girls to be scared by the evil Kermit because he's so goofy, but they were. We saw a late matinee and our 5 year-old had trouble getting to sleep. Maybe consider going to an earlier show so they can process these images before bed.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bynuenjins August 18, 2014

Run of the mill Muppets movie still milking the nostalgia.

You know the saying 'if you've seen one you've seen 'em all' and Muppets is notorious for milking the franchise after Disney took over. The cuteness of the old films gets washed away with endless cameos of 'not so kid friendly' stars and a half baked story. Not to say it doesn't have it's share of wit and giggles but the recent Muppet trend of milking the "old show' plot seems too painfully obvious they can't deviate from the nostalgic theme for an actual interesting story. Sure it's kid friendly but at the same time it's lazy feeling with seeringly bad musical numbers as if their seeing how lazy they can actually be and still get away with it. They know people with kids will show up just for the novelty of the movie but until someone actually breathes new life into the Muppets the quality overall will continue to drown in the Disney fluff that replaced the charm and wit of the original Jim Henson.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Steals laughs from all ages

Movie Title: Muppets Most Wanted PG, 1 hour 52 minutes Grade: A- In a Nutshell: If you love the adorable Muppets franchise, then here’s another installment of fuzzy fun, filled with clever gags, infectious songs, slapstick comedy, and celebrity cameos that will make audiences of all ages laugh out loud. There is a Muppet for everyone’s taste and seeing them all together is always a treat. You’ll even get to see some baby Muppets in this one, sure to evoke an “aww!” from the girl you’re sitting next to in the theater. Funny Ricky Gervais and Ty Burrell sing and dance as main characters in the movie, as well as Tina Fey who plays Nadya, the head guard at the Russian Gulog in Siberia. Add to that list of surprising triple threats Ray Liotta, Danny Trejo, and Jermaine Clement! (Triple threats in their case refers to “singer, dancer, murderer.) The versatile voice talents of Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Matt Vogel, Bill Barretta, and David Rudman bring all of the lovable Muppets to life. The fun flick is written and directed by James Bobin. Right now there is a cute animated short featuring Monsters University “Party Central” that plays right before the Muppets Most Wanted. Uplifting theme: Constantine points out in an ironic sneer that the audience will “learn a heartwarming lesson.” We’re reminded in this movie to appreciate one another and not take our loved ones for granted. Cameos that are so fast you might miss them: I can’t get enough of the punny cameo performances that the Muppets are famous for. This movie is packed with them, including Tony Bennet, Lady Gaga, Sean “P Diddy” Combs, Salma Hayek, Stanley Tucci, Christopher Waltz, Usher, Kanye West, Celine Deon, Sean Hayes, Josh Groban, Saoirse Ronan and a few more surprises. Miranda Richardson (from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 ) is the woman who yells out of a window Toby Jones (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ) is a surprised guard at the Museo del Prado Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl ) is another guard at the Museo del Prado Tom Hollander (Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl ) is the theater manager Russell Tovey (HBO’s Looking: Season 1 ) plays a deliveryman Ross Lynch (Disney’s Austin & Ally ) plays a flower delivery guy Sean Hayes (Will & Grace: The Complete Series ) performs in the opening dance number Things I liked: The opening scene is a clever song that pokes fun at itself and Hollywood sequels, almost as an apology for what you’re about to watch. The Muppets traipse all over Europe, featuring the National Treasure Museum in Berlin, the Prado Museum in Madrid, the Tower of London in England (home of the Crown Jewels and good manners), and the Irish National Bank in Dublin, Ireland. I thought it was hilarious when Nadya licks her prisoners in the cold Gulog and then sticks them on a frozen wall to torture them. I loved “The Big House” musical number in the Gulog. Tina Fey Fantastic. Listen carefully for the voice that comes out of the solitary confinement box. Things I didn’t like: It didn’t have quite enough of the feel-good, tear-jerk moments that made the earlier Muppet movies so magical. I always wonder how many advertising dollars are spent on product placement, like when Fozzy the Bear eats a Subway sandwich. Funny lines: “You know what helps at a time like this? A walk in the fog in a deserted canal.” – Dominic “It’s not easy being mean.” – Constantine, the “most dangerous frog” “I did not know it’s a crime to steal the show.” – Miss Piggy “I have Netflix account with search words Prison Escape. I have seen every prison escape movie on earth…even ones in space.” - Nadya “I’m sure Kermit’s not planning some comedy heist bit.” Fozzy Walter agrees “Yeah, those never work.” Sam, the CIA agent, asks the French Interpol agent “Did you see anything?” Poking fun at the relaxing lifestyle of the French, the Interpol agent (Ty Burrell) says “Nothing. It’s my lunch hour. It lasts 6 hours.” Later he says “Time for my annual 8 week vacation.” “As the saying goes: The show must continue in a timely fashion.” - Constantine Funny song lines: “Everybody knows that sequels are never quite as good…we’re waiting for Tom Hanks to make Toy Story number 4.” “All we need is a half-decent plot…” “The lovers, the dreamers, and cheese…” - Constantine Did you know? “Evilin froggen” is how you say Evil Frog in German Miss Piggy’s little dog is named FooFoo The Muppets get a 5 “Jamon Serrano” review when they perform in Spain. Jamon Serrano, Sliced Ham - 8 oz is the most famous ham in Spain. The Muppets perform like hams on stage…appropriate, don’t you think? I lived in Spain twice and ate a lot of it! Things to look for: Pretty red China plates in the restaurant scene Beaker’s unexpected, exploding cupcake Piggy’s cute hairdo in Berlin Flamingos dancing the Macarena instead of the Flamenco in Spain The entire audience in the theater in Spain wears either red or black The funky black hats that the police wear in Spain are really what they wear! I love Ricky Gervais’ Burberry coat that he wears in Dublin The banner hanging at the Gulog show says “Annual Gulog Review. Don’t riot.” Hen who wears a fancy hat at the British wedding Wall-E is in the audience at the British wedding Stay seated for the cute fireworks and gags while the credits are rolling. Giant pink Muppet in the train station and at the wedding Signed picture of Celine Deon in Piggy’s dressing room The crown made out of forks in the Prison King wears in the Gulog Walter has quite a wardrobe of knitted shirts in the movie. Check out the watch he wears in one of the scenes. Yes, of COURSE, you can buy one just like it.
Parent Written byMaitrimom May 9, 2015

Disturbing and only 'funny' for adults

This is a rare occasion where I quite disagree with the normally excellent assessments of Common Sense Media. This film is really an adult film (probably geared at boomers who grew up with the Muppet Show) and the subject matter and imagery is very disturbing. Illegal confinement, treason, crime and deprivation of food are shown as funny. A lot of sick abuse, which for me is a form of violence: e.g. a person is imprisoned in a metal box with just a hatch for his (singing) voice. None of this is explained but all of this is made fun of. The cold war gulag setting is dated as well. I really regret watching this movie. My daughter who is six burst into tears after it and I had to talk to her a long time afterwards to neutralize the upset and anguish brought up.
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 2, 2015

the muppets are great role models but too scary for young fans

maybe target at ages 9 and up
Parent Written byNels December 13, 2014

Too scary and mean-hearted for my sensitive 7-year-old

One of my 7-year-old's was crying and asked me to turn this off partway through. He was frightened by the gulag scenes and how mean the guards and other prisoners were being to Kermit. Quality-wise it wasn't terrible - I thought Ricky Gervais was pretty funny - but it lacked the old-fashioned charm of the previous Muppets movie with Jason Segel and Amy Adams.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byWeedPuller March 22, 2014

Together again, again

Lots of fun and laughs overall. Less sweet nostalgia than the last movie, but the same formula of popular culture in muppet format. Provoked conversation in our family about referenes to other movies. The gulag theme is mildly disturbing to me, though my 8-year-old wasn't bothered by it a bit. There is one quick, surprising shot of a skeleton when they're about to find the locket that could give sensitive kids a scare. There is lots of product placement for the adults. We also thought the words in the songs were largely drowned out by the instrumentals, which made the music less fun than muppet music usually is.
Educator and Parent Written bybhagyab August 20, 2014

Scary movie with continuous explosions

The movie was pretty scary for my 6 year old.. and didn't enjoy at all, had to stop the movie half way through
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written byKindness Girl March 22, 2014

Fine if you like the Muppets

Never having been a Muppets fan, I only went to this movie because my children wanted to see it. I found it slow at the start. There are some adult-targeted jokes, which made me laugh. My children seemed to like it, although they also said that it was slow in parts. Some of the prison stuff might disturb younger viewers, but my 2nd grader was fine. I found the famous actor cameos fun. Other than that and a few good laughs, I did not find it very entertaining.