All parent member reviews for My Fair Lady

Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byspoko November 11, 2011

Very, very disappointing.

The description of this movie isn't entirely accurate. There certainly is a villain; it's just ironic that he's supposed to be the hero. Henry Higgins is an absolutely despicable human being, with virtually no redeeming qualities. Certainly he helps Eliza, in a very limited way, but he does it with no altruism or generosity whatsoever. And the idea that he "learns a lot about women, as well as about superficial appearance versus inner beauty" is entirely false. He seems to have no arc at all, and as far as I can tell he doesn't learn much of anything for the course of the film. Neither, unfortunately, does Eliza. Audrey Hepburn is wonderful, but that character is one I wish my daughters had not had to witness. While she is feisty at times, in reality she seems to have no self-esteem at all. SPOILER: Her return to Higgins at the end of the film is one of the most tragic endings I've ever seen.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTruly Scrumptious May 11, 2014

Outdated gender values

It is an entertaining movie and as adults we can treat it as a time capsule and marvel at how much the world has changed but I think it would be difficult for children to understand that men should not ever treat a woman the way Henry Higgins treats Eliza Dolittle. I think possibly this could be watched and analysed as part of a gender studies class. After watching 'My Fair Lady' I am shocked to see the high ratings for positive messages and role models.
Adult Written bynduns February 18, 2012

A very enjoyable film

The performances in this are great, the songs for the most part are fantastic and it's all around very enjoyable. The only thing I absolutely hate is the ending. I'm sorry, but couldn't they have kept in the ending where Eliza and Higgins don't end up together? I'm sorry, this film did not make them work as a couple.
Adult Written bynomiekh October 21, 2010

Awesome to view in sessions

For grownups, this movie probably won't be too long. But for younger kids, maybe break it up into a couple/three watchings. I love just almost everything about it... a couple trouble spots for me but for an older movie, it is among the best, in my opinion. I expressed my opinion further on the subject here : ponderings of all things.blogspot.com
Adult Written bychemicalfire April 9, 2008

A Classic Story for an Older Audience

Upon watching this movie for the first time, I was struck by the excellent performances by actors Hepburn and Harrison. The story of Eliza's transformation was both charming and entertaining. However, I was shocked that the MPAA rating of "G" has not been altered since its re-rating in 1970. The movie, which contains plenty of mild language, including multiple uses of D--- and one use of A-- (in reference to a horse's behind) would be more appropriately rated PG today, I believe. It's still a wonderful movie, just be aware of the language.