All parent member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Adult Written byDeborahMama April 9, 2008

My 2-year-old loves Totoro best of all

My daughter needed a little hand-holding when Totoro (a friendly forest spirit) made loud noises, but this is her absolute favorite movie. Even though she didn't understand the whole movie at first (and may still not understand parts of it), she loves the imagery, the forest spirits, and the characters. I like that there is no villain -- too many kids' films for my taste feature the presence of absolute evil whose existence is never explained, and I'd rather not have my child see the world in terms of good and evil this way. Totoro has conflict, misbehavior, and scary bits, but all the characters have motivations we can understand and discuss.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bydorland July 31, 2010

The fact that it gives a solid view of a past Japanese culture (that still survives on the same foundations today in many respects) makes it educational for older children. The role-model presented in the older sister should be an inspiration for younger girls looking for how to handle the younger sibling, especially the ones that are a handful. If more people looked and acted towards this way to each other, even in families themselves, so many issues we see today would be much more controllable in a social sense. While the soot sprites and initial encounters with the various Totor's and Catbus might be a bit scary to younger children it's also something that you can use to help children get past the bogyman phase on several levels as well as teach a spiritual aspect to nature that we so often try to push on young ones but don't give them the concrete connection they need to understand it. The tie to Shintoism and nature and ancestor spirits is yet another learning area for people unfamiliar with Japanese culture. This is one of my 1 year old and 4 year olds favorite movies and with the message and ideas it presents it's definitely one I don't mind them watching again and again.
Parent Written bysquili July 11, 2009

Sweet, funny, unique

This is a terrific film. There is a bit of scary stuff with the talk of huanted houses and some loud growling and strange scurring creatures, but all that is side-stepped by the girls giggling and delighted reactions and their overall curiousity of the unknown. I found this movie to be delightfully sweet and wonderfully devoid of the usual fare of action-packed chases and predictable dramas. I love the strong girl message and the wonder and magic found in the mysterious creatures the girls befriend. The movie embraces and celebrates the magical world of childhood. I recommned this movie for the whole family.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bysampsonite July 18, 2013

I wish every child could have a neighbour like Totoro, and a family like this.

I'm delighted this film has been recommended and absolutely agree it’s a 5 star film. But I can't believe it has only gained 1 point each for positive role models and messages! Every character of this film is a walking example of care, compassion, resilience and intelligence. They don’t talk about how good they’re going to be – they just do it. Maybe that’s why it’s less obvious. For example, the Dad doesn’t have some pivotal moment where he realises, “and now I’m going to be a really good Dad”. No, he just IS a really good Dad ALL the time. They are moving house, his wife is seriously ill, he’s sole parent, he still has to work – pretty stressful situation huh? What do we see from him? Quiet, calm, resilience and an unflappable positive attitude. What’s the effect on his girls? They feel secure and safe even during a period of great stress for the family. Ie: benchmark positive role model. Satsuki shows tremendous maturity for her age, attempting to step into her Mum’s shoes while she is ill and being a superb older sister to Mei. Mei is the most tenacious, rambunctious, brave little 4 yo who can stare down any fear, except the fear of losing her mother. The neighbouring Grandma (and neighbours in general) show community values of practical support and compassion for the new family in a way that most of us would dream to see these days. And then there’s Totoro himself. Yes – he is a bit scary on first sight. And that roar! But from the minute Mei roars back at him any child will know he is a friend. The fact that he is this mysterious giant monster with a mighty roar and sharp claws sends a vital message to kids – “Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.” (St Francis de Sales) [PLOT SPOILERS COMING UP.] No moment sums this up better than how he responds to Satsuki’s desperation to find Mei. He doesn’t talk; he smiles assuredly and lets out the most mighty roar of the film to summon the magic cat bus. The cat bus doesn’t talk either. He just rotates his destination sign until it says “Mei”, yowls out her name, and tears off with Satsuki on board. And as Satsuki sees her sister’s name on the sign she instantly knows (as do we) that everything is going to be OK. As a parent that moment is one of the most moving I’ve ever seen in a film. I’m tearing up just writing about it. Why? I don’t know. But my guess is that it shows how the makers of this film have established such a genuine relationship between the sisters that we truly feel the joy and relief that Satsuki must feel in that moment. I could write forever. It’s a beautiful film and one that reveals more and more each time, and because so much is ambiguous it leaves much for families to talk about. Is the Totoro real? Does it matter? He’s a symbol of the compassion and strength in a time of difficulty. He appears in these children’s lives to give them a helping hand only when they truly need it and only for as long as they do. And at some point, all of us need a hand. While I had always enjoyed this film, the beauty of its messages never struck me until we lent this film to another family who were the process of losing a grandparent to cancer. When we got it back the Mum said; “that was beautiful. I think every family needs a Totoro.”
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written byRecordsMom August 15, 2009

What a kids' movie should be

A loving father is always a plus. No stupid adults is another. Add a sense of wonder and caring, and you have a movie that should be a cornerstone of a child's film literature. Children may need help understanding some of the emotional content, but that's not a bad thing. Messages: Trust. Wonder. Concern for the sick. Role models: Father who cares for his children. Neighbor who tells stories. A child who undertakes a daring journey to comfort her ill mother. An entire village who looks for the missing girl.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bySuzuki Mom August 19, 2009

Go for the Vintage version for all ages

there is the "old" version and the newer Disneyized version. The Disney version is very dissapointing when compared to the nuances and little revelations of the vintage version. The older one is the translated Japanese version. The Japanese viewpoint on the reverence of nature is more apparent and more meaningful. Disney is almost insulting in its main streaming changes.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byBob Loblaw August 11, 2009

Great for 3 year olds and parents alike!

What a wonderful film! Not only is it my 3 year old daughter's favorite movie, but it holds up to repeated viewings by Dad as well. It's hard to find movies that are appropriate for toddlers - to find one that adults can watch as well is even harder! I know there are some concerns about the scene where the father is bathing with his girls - all I can say is that there is absolutely nothing sexual about it, and I'm guessing (as I'm not Japanese) that this is simply a cultural difference. In any case, I don't feel it's anything to be concerned about.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTomDarla October 12, 2009

Wonderful film for all ages

Our kids (5 and 2) absolutely love Totoro and have watched it countless times already. It is so unlike other movies for children, devoid of the typical violence and special effects, yet is wildly imaginative and engaging. It's a very tranquil movie, perfect with popcorn before bed.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bycrazyannie September 5, 2009

A pleasure for everyone.

This movie has been a family favorite since the first time we put it in the DVD player. My husband and I think that either every artist on the movie had a 3 year old, or they imported some to watch for hours and hours --- the depictions of Mei were so *perfect* in capturing the zest for life and curiosity of that age. We enjoyed talking with our kids about Totoro as a spirit, as a guardian angel, and as part of a belief system different from, but just as magical, as our own.
Parent of a 1, 3, and 5 year old Written byMelissaRoz June 14, 2014

totoro roars and bares huge teeth

After reading great reviews, I decided to watch this with my 5 years old. He was quite scared of Totoro, who never talks but only roars loudly. Totoro also has a huge mouth full of scary teeth. Totoro and the cat bus were the scariest scenes for my child; more so than the soot gremlins. With lots of cuddles and talking through the scary parts, there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage from watching this movie. I would use caution with sensitive kids and definitely watch it with them.
Adult Written bybabysitter89 March 28, 2011

One of my favorites!

I love this movie, and watched it countless times as a kid. But I think this review downplays the emotional intensity of it just a bit. There are parts when the younger sister goes missing, and also when the mother's health is very uncertain, and these moments were quite scary. It has a happy ending and all these conflicts are resolved, but I was glad that I was there to reassure them, in the moment, that everything would be okay.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bydavidmal770 March 15, 2011

Universal appeal without the cheap gags

Miyazaki's movies all cherish imagination and wonder. This one is no different. There seems to be a new trend in children's movies of trying to pull in the grownups by adding adult situations/humor into a child's world. Miyazaki's movies prove that you can have universal appeal simply by solid storytelling. Not cultural Lady Gaga jokes.
Adult Written byporkchoppal August 23, 2015

Family-Friendly Anime Classic is a Beautiful Testimony to Friendship

Violence/Gore: 1 Sex/Nudity: 2 Profanity: 0 Hedonism: 0 Mature/Scary: 2
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byDan Ouellette May 25, 2015

Fantastic movie. Disney cannot compare.

Hayao Mizayaki's movies are incomparable. And this is probably the favorite one with my kids. Unlike Disney, his stories are filled with mystery and not every situation is explained or completely logical... which is a great primer for children growing up. Additionally there are a few tense moments which resolve wonderfully, releasing the tension in a beautiful way not a false way as Disney is prone to doing. Almost all of Miyazaki's female characters are strong, independent and courageous without the sexist stereotypes so predominant in Disney/Nickelodeon fare. This is a huge benefit to these movies in my opinion. Pixar comes closest but nothing compares with Miyazaki/Ghibli.
Parent Written bymalibumum March 22, 2015

Fantastic film... but beware of sick mother and talk of death.

All-in-all, I think this this is a great film. But be aware the mother is very ill. The children are very concerned and in one tense scene, the young girl asks "is mother going to die?" In the end, she recovers. But I think this scene is worth noting for younger viewers.
Parent of a 1, 3, and 6 year old Written byQuakesDad March 5, 2015

Good for 3yo

My 3yo daughter was engaged the whole movie. I'm not sure how much she truly understood but she loved it. Sensitive 3yo's might get a little frightened by the soot sprites.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byStacyVR February 25, 2015

Seriously SO good and beautiful

Why can't all kids movies be so well-written? Clearly, Miyazaki loves and "gets" kids -- how they can be so sweet, so impatient, so shy and insecure, and then so secure and confident, all in the same day. I love the characters (and so do my young boys) -- they love watching the girls run and laugh and explore! And who wouldn't want to find a Totoro while out exploring? Honestly, this movie is a treasure.
Parent of a 8, 9, and 10 year old Written byParentof3animefans February 23, 2015

It's perfect for the whole family

I let my kids watch it when they were just toddlers
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 30, 2015

Studio ghibli Makes yet another nice Film for me..

A very imaginative and creative Film.. The Film wasn’t to bad and would be A perfect film the whole family can enjoy...
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byDuckfloss January 9, 2015

Odd and funny that literally all ages will enjoy

My 11- and 10-year-olds enjoyed this movie as much as I did. It's sweet and simple, but also a little bit weird. There isn't much action or even plot, but it's still engaging.