Kid reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Beautifully animated fantasy about friendship fit for all.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 31, 2010

Very good

Fun and nearly perfect. There is a lot of loud laughing in the Japanese version (I didn't watch it in English). However, some Japanese bathing methods may be strange to Americans, as all three of them are in the bath naked (the father and two daughters). Nothing sexual, but the oldest is cleaning herself outside of the tub, and dumps water over herself. You can tell she is naked. She then jumps into the tub where her younger sister is as well as their dad. It's a short scene, just keep in mind that the customs of Japan and Asia (or anywhere else) are not that of the US. Note- I try to keep myself out of any statistics, meaning- I do not say we or us; it sounds a bit conceited sometimes.

Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2013

Wonderful

This used to be my favroute movie when I was little now I still love it many of the characters are kind and warmhearted.

Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byMyWinterFirefly February 6, 2010

Best Movie Ever

It's the best family movie ever made. And parents can actually watch it. It's so much better than anything Disney, it doesn't involve evil villains or too-cute animals. The story line is unique and the characters are normal children. The film is basically about being a child. This is still one of my favourite films. Also for older children you can get the japanese version with sub-titles so it can help them read in a fun way.

Educational Value
Kid, 7 years old February 6, 2011
I loved it, but toddlers could freak out when Satsuki thinks her mom will die. Violence is totally NOT an issue, and only 1 insult when Satsuki tells Mei to "Stop being a baby and just grow up!!" Preschoolers and kindergardners will posetivly love it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byffdfdsf November 20, 2014
well there is a part in the movie were they are all the dad and children are naked and share a bath together
Kid, 11 years old July 16, 2014

Good for the whole family

This movie is great! It's good for the whole family. Totoro is really awesome and it's full of great moments. This movie is great and one for the whole family. It might get a little scary for younger viewers at the end, but it works out. I really like all of Studio Ghibli's films (or at least the ones I've seen) My favorite character is the Cat Bus, so cool.

Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2017

Awesome!

This movie is really good. Totoro and his little friends are so cute! It has a message of friendship. The graphics and storyline are great! The reason I rated this 5+ is because the girl's mom is sick and the little sister gets lost and they thought she drowned. Otherwise, great movie, highly recommended!

Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2016

My first Ghibli movie

A sweet and innocent tale of the two sisters Satsuki and Mei, and how they move from the city into a countryside home so they can live closer to their mother who is recovering from a disease. They are both extremely optimistic. Totoro is big and fuzzy, and very kind to Satsuki and Mei. The scenes involving Totoro are extremely adorable. The father of the two sisters also cares for them and their mother deeply. The movie's soundtrack is also great. I was thrilled to find the movie's album on iTunes. Note: Satsuki and Mei move from their city home into a crumbling countryside house. Both the sisters believed it was haunted, and were thrilled to be living there. It was indeed inhabited by lots of tiny, fuzzy soot sprites. The review written by Common Sense Media calls them 'slightly creepy' but it depends on your opinion. Most people (including met) find them very cute. Also note: The reason I rated this four and up was that any child of an age younger than four might not fully understand the movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2010

beautiful movie for everyone :D

beautifully made, nice animation. I seen this movie for the past 10 years, and it is still one of my favorites from studio ghibli ^_^ nice

Teen, 14 years old Written byMochiWolf April 8, 2018

Beautiful story!

I might be SLIGHTLY obsessed with Japanese culture (okay, okay, fine, TOTALLY obsessed) and this movie is absolutely perfect for me. The storyline is so sweet and iconic, and you can't help but love the gentle giant Totoro. It might upset sensitive kids when the girl's mother is very, very ill in the hospital, but no worries, she's okay!
Teen, 13 years old Written byskwunkel May 24, 2015

Was intrigued to watch but disappointing

There were some messages in this film about family and imagination but no real plot to interest me. Young kids should enjoy this, but I personally didn't. Some funny moments but no plot and 2 of the most annoying girls ever.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytriangularwisdom July 15, 2014

Loved this movie ever since I was little

I first saw the movie when my dad brought it home when I was about 2 or 3 and I've loved it ever since! I don't think it's scary or creepy at all.

Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2014

Really good movie

I think that this movie will help kids like me learn about friendship and kindness at a really young age

Kid, 12 years old July 10, 2013

Beautiful art and great family film

This film is most defiantly one of Miyazaki's best productions. A great famliy movie experience. Good for all audiences. Spectacular artwork. A beautiful film. Mostly recommended for younger kids. A must for Young anime fans.

Kid, 9 years old October 14, 2010

Perfect for every age

Love it I am 9 still, and it is an eccelent movie for kids!

Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2014

Totoro

it is a cute a fun movie and would be good for any kid.

Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

Fit for All

A fun, friendly positive magical film fit for all.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTheAlmightyCastform March 16, 2018

So weird, it's hilarious.

Maybe it's because this film was made for Japanese children, but it is really weird. The facial expressions, the way the dad laughs, the shiny acorns (everytime a character sees one, they say "An acorn!"), the constant repetition of what the other person just said, and all the other cheesy elements combine to become hilarious. ("Just laugh and your fears will go away! WA HA HA HA.") Maybe some of this is a dub thing, but it still is funny. The art style, particularly the way humans look, is an over-the-top version of the uncanny human designs from Spirited Away. But this art style, unlike Spirited Away’s, is such a far miss that it’s hilarious. I watched this movie with a group of friends, and we were all making hilarious comments of the various hokey elements (which appeared a lot), MST3K style, but unscripted and actually really funny. (There was a scene where it looked like a head of a "Totoro" was swimming through the ground, one of my friends stated "Land shark!") This movie was an unintentional laugh riot, like many other little kid shows and movies. If you gather a group of friends and turn this on, you'll most likely love it. Disclaimer: The dad bathes with her daughters, but this is considered completely wholesome in Japan. A few angle choices are the only thing keeping this G. Anyway, you should watch this movie. While it is very cheesy, it also is genuinely charming. The Totoros are unironically funny sometimes. (One last note: What was up with the scene at the beginning where the sisters say "Let's hide from the police!" when a police officer is passing by the car? During the scene when one of the sisters was just standing there holding a shovel for a long time, we theorized that maybe she murdered people with the shovel and she had reason to hide from the police.)

Teen, 14 years old Written byElla S April 24, 2018

Beautiful film for any age

This movie is not cringey like other children's films. It takes time to appreciate real life images. The scenery is beautiful and it is just a story. There aren't fast scene changes, no big dramatic problem but you will never be bored. I've seen this movie at least a dozen times now.