Parent reviews for My Octopus Teacher

Octopus befriends troubled diver and teaches him about life.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written bysoloparentrockstar12 September 26, 2020

Must See Stunning Film!

Beautiful story documenting a man's journey to find himself again through connecting with life undersea. The cinematograpy is spectacular. Incredible to view sea life up close, observing the life, formation, and intelligence of the glorious octopus. Feel good movie.

Parent of a 8 and 10-year-old Written byCarolyn M. February 21, 2021

Must see movie!

Amazing, beautiful movie showing the deep and close connection between humans and animals. At times thrilling, joyful, educational and sad, but all shown through the natural order of life on earth. (the mating segment was the only scene that we had to explain but was dark, quick and, frankly, was between two octopi) I agree with others that this deserves 5 stars from Common Sense.

Adult Written byGhunum November 22, 2020

Fascinating sea life but boring human

The octopus and its encounters are amazing and riveting for all ages (maybe a bit scary for very young children). However, the framing of the movie was very boring and the kids would tune out until the octopus was back on screen....

The overarching story is about a world weary film-maker who spends a lot of time staring out of windows while a pensive voice explains his inner struggles. It's medium interesting for adults, but boring for kids.

However - when he goes underwater and finds the octopus - it's excellent and well worth it.
Adult Written byMoviesDF September 19, 2020

Learning from a wise teacher

There’s a long list of movies about humans immersing themselves into their study of animal life. This is another in that line, but it one of the best examples. That it tells such a compelling story as a documentary, with a real person (Craig Foster) who spent a year filming his actual interactions, is remarkable. Highly recommended.

Parent of a 4 and 7-year-old Written byYeroc2001 August 27, 2021
My whole family loved this movie. My animal living 4.5 year old was very sad when the one of the animals died and cried for a couple of minutes almost at the end, but was uplifted again by the ending of the film. Beautiful movie.

Adult Written bycarolinert1 July 8, 2021

Adult Written byK H June 15, 2021

Ocean life

While the monologues might go over an 8-10 year olds head, the story is beautiful, inspiring and awesome.

Parent of a 4, 8, and 9-year-old Written byCnewland May 8, 2021

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byShortmommy January 24, 2021

Amazing but sad

Fun and creative it is a little bit sad the octopus losing their arm. It is a feel good movie definitely. Sad ending but good base line.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bymiacomet7 January 3, 2021

Gorgeous documentary

We loved this documentary. The cinematography is outstanding - really gorgeous footage of an underwater world many won't ever personally experience. I appreciate how it portrays a real human, going through a difficult time in life, and his approach toward rediscovering himself. I love the respect he shows for the natural world and for the octopus, even grappling with the concept of interfering with nature. This extraordinary glimpse into clearly an intelligent, solitary creature coupled with the unexpected portrayal of the cycle of life was really well done.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written bycmwissmann December 29, 2020

Adult Written byJamstee October 29, 2020

AMAZING

This movie is amazing. One of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen. Great for any age, really, but I’ve said 5 and up because of some scary/sad scenes. A few uses of ‘hell’ but nothing much to worry about. Overall, a simply fantastic documentary.

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byJlyndvorak October 21, 2020

Beautiful, insightful

Lovely movie about paying attention and listening deeply to the natural world, as told through the true interactions of a man and a sea creature. It unfolds slowly, though, and my youngest son (age 9) probably would have prefered a frantic Pixar production. But my 11-year old and I were captivated.
This movie has helped me re-frame conversations about the natural world with my children. For example, one of my kids noted the dodo bird went extinct because they were “too stupid” and were easily killed by humans. I was able to shift that perspective by asking questions about the human understanding of the birds, and how the birds had lived for thousands of years before humans entered the scene.

Adult Written bybmklena October 9, 2020

Animals, the sea and what they really mean to us

What an amazing film, so beautifully put together and the experiences are wonderful. everyone should see this movie

Adult Written byjapa October 2, 2020

A most personal, intimate and eye-opening nature documentary

The film is golden. It at last connects the dots between the mind blowing nature documentaries we so love to see and the deeply personal experiences of the humans that make them. Furthermore, it with vigor reminds us of the inconceivable intelligence that exists outside our habitats. Humbling and highly teaching experience indeed.

Adult Written byBOB T September 30, 2020

A Naturalist Dream

The Bill Turner Family

Adult Written byAlexandra_mango September 26, 2020

Incredible film and story!

Amazing cinemography, story telling, and insane footage. Very educational and with a beautiful message. One of those rare movies that's enjoyable for the whole family.

Parent of a 8 and 10-year-old Written byandre1706 September 19, 2020

A lovely story

A peaceful, interest, natural and lovely documentary. We loved it.

Adult Written byP.B. September 18, 2020

Maudlin, Unrealistic Storyline

and Un-necessarily Negative Ending.

The story-line of the man was a very unrealistic stretch. This was the primary failing of the movie. The movie would have been far better if it were purely documentary - instead of, in fact, being woven around a fictional human storyline.

Also, the ending was depressing and sickening: the dead corpse of the octopus, which the movie-watchers learned to love, was filmed being ripped up and eaten by sharks.

Un-necessarily sickening and disgusting.
Adult Written byloucollazo September 15, 2020