All parent member reviews for My Week With Marilyn

Adult Written bychristian2011 December 24, 2011

Great biography film. Suitable for teens 15+

This movie is about a short-term relationship between Colin Clark and Marilyn Monroe who has their downs and turn ups. There is some strong vulgar language in the film, such as multiple uses of the f--k, s--t, and some religious profanities. There is some sexual humor and dialogue mostly said by Marilyn Monroe and her fans, not too sexual or explicit. In the violence category, there are some heated arguments between Marilyn and Colin which can disturb some viewers. Also, there is some nudity in the film, but doesn't show it graphically, just briefly, like the backside of Marilyn in the shower and skinny dipping in the lake. The main precaution you all should notify your kids is the graphic strong language in this film.
Adult Written byryanasaurus0077 December 18, 2011

Trying to date Marilyn may break your heart a little, but this is arthouse filmmaking at its most romantic

Even if it is based on a great big lie, My Week with Marilyn is nevertheless great in its own way. If this is a lie, it's a darn good one, being possibly the first example of a Marilyn fic, courtesy of main character Colin Clark. This is his story about how he served as third assistant director for The Prince and the Showgirl (definitely true) and dated Marilyn Monroe (not verified as of writing). As expected, Marilyn is a bit sensual, and there is quite a bit of smoking (including a plug for Sir Laurence Olivier; I'm not kidding, he actually had his own cigarette brand back in the day), but it's the swearing we should worry about when we consider taking our kids to see this (it is rated R for a reason, after all, and surprisingly, Marilyn's nude scene during that date with Colin isn't it). Among the swearing is several F words, mostly out of Sir Laurence's mouth, and a bunch of minor swears scattered throughout, including a single use of "bugger" by Emma Watson as the mildly jealous wardrobe assistant, Lucy (it certainly charmed my socks off hearing that word coming out of her mouth after an earlier co-star of hers, Rupert Grint, said the F word in Driving Lessons and the S word in that and Wild Target). If you see it in theaters, take the kids along, but be cautious of Marilyn's aforementioned nude scene at the lake and that a Shakespearean actor says the F word a few times. If you buy the DVD, all you need is an external profanity filter so your young ones won't hear Sir Laurence throwing F words around sporadically, but you should still exercise caution about the aforementioned nude scene (which, barring the F words, would've netted this a PG-13 rating easily).