Kid reviews for Next Gen

Great animation, solid messages; lots of cartoon violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMisterObvious September 29, 2018

Not for immature/young kids.

This movie was beautiful. I'll admit I cried during it. If you liked 'The Iron Giant' and 'Big Hero 6', you'll like Next Gen. Since it's partnered with an East Asian producing company, there is language, as profanity means less in the lesser-religious countries of Japan, China, etc. than it does in the U.S.A. If your child is easily influenced, the girl is an angry teenager, so I'd suggest talking to your young one after watching. In summary, this movie is not as violent as 'The Iron Giant', but not as sad as 'Big Hero 6', though all three portray futuristic/dystopian worlds.

Kid, 11 years old September 11, 2018

One of the best animated films since WALL-E.

Spoilers ahead: be warned. Next-Gen is a visually-striking animated film about a girl named Mai who hates robots, although everyone has one. In the beginning, Mai has a lucky meeting with 7723, a side-project of Dr. Tanner Rice, who is a minion of Justin Pin/Ares, the main antagonist of the movie. Mai is soon escorted out by security bots, and 7723 is left with her backpack in hand. After Mai is escorted, 7723 tries to return her backpack, but is shot down by more security bots, and is left damaged and with no external memory unit. 7723 finally gets back to Mai's house, where he returns the backpack and shoots an insane robot toothbrush that belonged to Mai. The whole adventure begins from there, but I won't get in depth with that part. Violence: 7.5/10: Many laser-based weapons are fired, and Dr. Tanner Rice is vaporized by Ares later in the film. Gen 6 robots are also rigged to explode by Ares, with his plan being to kill all owners of Gen 6s. Sex/Nudity: 1/10: Some suggestive lyrics in songs. Language: 5/10: Mai's dog Momo has quite the potty mouth, but it is all bleeped out by 7723's built in profanity filter system. Drinking/Drug Reference: 0/10 Overall rating: 10/10, must watch. If you or your kids are a fan of WALL-E or Big Hero 6, this movie is a must watch for the entire family. 7723 is like an amalgamation of WALL-E and Baymax, and I mean that in the best possible way. Heck, I watched the trailer and knew I would love it. I was hyped for September 7th to come around when I saw the trailer actually. I hope a sequel comes out some-time later.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm3284 September 15, 2018

Great graphics, Inspiring, Action-Packed movie is beautiful.

This was such a good movie, there were so many great messages. This is a perfect movie for pre-teens. Before my friend told me that this was a great movie, I saw the trailers on YouTube and just scrolled past/clicked off, for I thought this would be cheesy and not very well done kids movie. Well, I was proved VERY wrong. There is some violence, and characters do die by disintegration, exploding (fire wise), etc. But it is animated so it is not very graphic. For younger audiences there may be some scary parts, one of the characters is very creepy and evil. For language, a LOT of the reviews say there is ton and that it is not appropriate for kids at all, but I disagree with that. A dog does swear and they are bleeped out, but his mouth moves so fast you can barley tell, and most of that will go over kids heads, and that is only in about 3-4 scenes. This have great messages about injustice and fighting for justice. I think this will be a great family movie, and I will definitely be watching it again soon.

Teen, 16 years old Written byRandomUser24 September 11, 2018
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolpool785 September 10, 2018

Beautiful, funny, (mostly) original animated film is surprisingly violent

This is a great animated film. The animation is flawless, the characters are likable, but is surprisingly violent. The villain uses robots as suicide bombers to wipe out humanity. There are tons of destruction scenes, explosions, lasers, many robots are destroyed, bullying both physically and name calling, and a shocking death of a human (disintegration) A robot says he killed a man and "stole his body". Many robots are destroyed either in self defense/protecting others or for fun. The main character is at first "full of rage" (as she puts it). There are some swear words that are comically bleeped out (the robot can understand what the dog says and selects a "profanity filter.") This film has powerful messages of family, friendship, how to deal with bullies, when does technology go too far, and what memories are worth keeping. I highly recommend.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHasan iqbal October 14, 2018

good

good

Teen, 17 years old Written bywizardortitan September 15, 2018

A darker, dystopian Big Hero 6; clarification on the language

Based on some of the backlash I've seen/other reviews on here, I was expecting to be hearing a lot of partially-bleeped language that would put this movie on the level of an MTV reality show. This isn't the case. The dog is implied to curse a handful of times through bleeps; it's fully obscured, and younger audiences won' t be able to make out what he's saying. One song has muted profanity, and for reason Netflix put a 'fu-' in the subtitles for the lyrics, even though I replayed it multiple times and wasn't unable to hear even part of the word. The mom also uses bleeped curses once, but it's under very dire circumstances that I won't spoil where parents would look at her and think "Yeah, I'd be doing the same." The dog doesn't curse in every scene, and some of the implied curses are nonsensical/completely unable to be made out. The main reason for my 10+ rating is how intense some of the violence and themes are. There's a lot of robot-on-robot violence, and both a young girl and her mom have their lives threatened. The theme of divorce may also be emotionally intense for some viewers. All of this aside, I think this is a great movie for preteens and teenagers. It has a bit of an edge to it that'll draw them in, but some much more important messages that'll leave a lasting impression on them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTocino September 15, 2018

Plot and story are fine, but the character is just annoyingly stupid

I think that the idea of this film and the animation is amazing. The main character was too painful to watch the whole thing though. The character was just plain stupid. I have a friend who's father left, but she is NOT stupid like this movie suggests. Even though it has some kind of resolution of her character at the end, it still could leave the impression that the way to deal with hard things is violence, because it is shown to work in this movie. I do not recommend.

Teen, 13 years old Written byZita pig November 2, 2018

Super nice

It is a movie with great moral, a nice film for every family

Teen, 13 years old Written byCappachimoo October 2, 2018

Full of.. adventure?

So, the girl in this movie, May, can be quite violent influenced by a bully. She proceeds to harm the bully with the robot. The robot knowing this is wrong and not continuing with er wishes of "blowing her up". I personally did not like the girl, the robot was sweet and light-hearted. The dog during the beginning of the movie was quite... 'un-tamed'. His swearing was bleeped out which at first I found quite alarming. All in all, a good movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFuture_Pres October 1, 2018

Not the lighthearted flick you may be expecting, but worth a watch

This movie can be intense at times (especially the epic battle scene at the end), and also very emotional. There is bleeped out swearing, which is kind of weird if little else, and a background song appears to use the F-word once. Altogether, the positives outweigh the negatives, though.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLeon Lavictoire January 18, 2019

Good film, quite scary for very young children.

For God’s sake, the swearing is bleeped, you can’t discern it at all. This movie has violence and fear but it also has a good message and will have a positive influence on most children. On top of this the more complex themes of social isolation and over reliance on technology make the movie relatively interesting for older members of the family.

Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2019

Not for kids under 10!!!

Ok, this movie was awesome! It has some violence that could really scare immature kids that can't handle it. So I recommend that you don't let your young children see this. I was watching this with my 6-year-old sister and my dad, and my sister started covering her eyes with a pillow!! Plus there is a part in the movie where they play music that clearly says, "I don't give a fu-" and, there are some parts in the film where the dog, Momo starts swearing but its bleeped.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCJN666 December 17, 2018

Love it

This movie is great for all ages

Teen, 15 years old Written byajaxthewarrior November 24, 2018

DEFINITELY NOT A BIG HERO 6 COPYCAT

Next Gen is just awesome! I don't think it's for kids under 13 years old!, they swear in the movie! But this movie has inspired me a lot. Totally recommend it!

Teen, 17 years old Written byRedmage November 6, 2018

Not a good storyline. Robots (2005) is much better.

The mom does not care enough for her daughter, the bully girl has gone too far in hurting the protagonist, the dog curses too much, and the robots are so destructive! I think that robots are supposed to live harmoniously with humans, not hurt them. Because of its storyline, I did not even bother to finish this movie. If you want a good and family-friendly movie about robots, try Robots (2005).

Teen, 17 years old Written bybeepbop69 November 1, 2018

Worst writing I have ever seen. Terrible movie!

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The writing is completely inaccurate to this generation's social norms. This movie could have had so much to give, but instead they chose to make it confusing and choppy. The storyline is all over the place, and if they were trying to make this feel like real life, the outcome is below par. No one I know would ever react the way the characters did if they were in these situations. The only thing that made this movie slightly entertaining is how much the dog swore. SPOILER ALERT Only recommend if you enjoy seeing a clone of Steve Jobs try to destroy all humanity.