All parent member reviews for Night at the Museum

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug July 11, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I did not at all approve of the main character slapping the monkey.
Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written byproverbs226mom June 5, 2009
Parent Written byLauren67 February 12, 2011

good

its great my kids loved it
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010

Parent of a 5 year old Written byemiliedee November 15, 2009

Great for older kids, and even some 4 or 5 yr olds

My 4 1/2 daughter really loved this movie and has watched it many times but I'm sure she doesn't get all of it. But she doesn't find any of the parts she doesn't get overly scary or disturbing and there's lots she finds funny.
Adult Written bymollynirish May 1, 2009

BOND TRADER AS JOB SECURITY? HA LOL

Why is the father faced with the "get a better job or lose your son," question? Because the mom is engaged to a "bond trader?" How does that sound now?
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bykptown June 3, 2009

Could appreciate and handle better at 7 or 8 yrs old

Good movie. My sensitive 6 yr old ran out of the room when there was a lot of tension (this is always our main problem... tension, dramatic music) but laughed hard at a few parts. Lots of aggression and some violence, but that led to a good talk after about historical violence and aggression in general. We always talk during the movie when characters handle things well ("you hurt my feelings!") and when they don't. The problem was also that I don't think they really enjoyed it very much - they were serious while watching, like it was something to get thru. I think watching at 7 or 8 yrs old would have been better for us.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written bybeckyhall April 9, 2008

Hilarious!!

I laughed out loud! We took my son, turning 11, and a bunch of friends for his birthday. We also took our 7 year old and 4 year old, and we ALL loved it. The T-rex and Attila the Hun are a tiny bit scary at first, but as soon as their flaws and secrets are revealed (quickly after their introduction), they are truly fun. The message is great, too! Much better than the review I read.
Adult Written bytwnz April 9, 2008

Excellent Movie Not to be Missed and I am Picky Picky

I am very picky about movies my kids see....and basically think many of them , I have reviewed some at this site, are just awful, full of commercialism, horrible antics, and crass language. This movie is well done and not one drawback other then use of the word kiss my a**. The graphics , storyline, actors are wonderful, loved seeing the old timers Rooney and Van Dyke. This movie reminded me somewhat of "Indian in the Cupboard" which I adored. The animals,characters,history that come alive in this movie entices you to want to take a future trip to your local science/history museum...which is a good thing.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 23, 2012

ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!

As a fan of sci-fi and history, I truly love this movie! It's adventurous, funny, and even a little frightening! Parents may be surprised with some language and some mild violence, but other than that, this would be a great movie if your kids are a fan of sci-fi and history!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bynancy.humphrey@... May 29, 2009

One thing I wanted to add - my 9-year old just did some conflict resolution training, and we were amazed at how much good conflict resolution and empathy Stiller's character used to get the different characters to act in their own and others' best interest. A nice little talking point.
Adult Written bytexas0789 April 9, 2008

Slap-stick comedy

WAY 2 GO BEN STILLER, ONE OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITES, it was definetly a slap stick comedy.
Parent of a 8, 9, 11, and 13 year old Written byAge approved dad December 22, 2014

Night at the museum

Adult Written byreadingkid August 15, 2014

Great movie, but I got in trouble calling someone a stupid name in real life

I really enjoyed this movie, but there was one thing I have to remember what is insulting. The Easter Island Head called Larry Daley "Dum-Dum" and Larry Daley called the Easter Island Head a "fathead" because Larry Daley was insulted. Just because this movie doesn't have a lot of profanity doesn't mean that you won't get in trouble calling someone a stupid name. I remember getting in trouble when I called a School Age Child Care staff member a "fathead" and I was punished from using the computer during the weekend. If you are going to learn to call someone a stupid name, then don't watch this movie.
Parent Written byMima13 June 21, 2013

Good family movie

I recommend this movie. This is a good movie for 6 years and up but not for toddlers. I like the idea of the museum coming to life instead of being just a plain old place. A museum coming to life is more interesting to kids.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byAidens_Mommy November 30, 2010

May be a bit scary for young kids.

I thought this was a good movie. I rated it scary because there are a couple of scenes (specifically with the dinosaur) that may scare really young children. My son is four and he loves the dino, but there are some that may not. The language isn't that bad (there is one instance that I remember where Larry tells another character not to be a "kiss ass") but we can hear this word in "Home Alone". Tell your kids it's a bad word and trust them not to use it. My son doesn't. Overall I think this is a cute movie and I like watching it with my little boy.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byIvory121 July 7, 2010

Fun at the museum!

Just loved it...good fun with history lessons thrown it.
Adult Written byRobertM June 28, 2009

Very good movie

I thought it was great. Lot's of historical figures you can use as a teaching opportunity
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bylabonnie June 8, 2009

My son really loved this movie. We saw it on DVD... I think that it would have been much scarier if we would have seen it in the movie theatres though.
Parent of a 7 and 22 year old Written bychristikc June 5, 2009