All parent member reviews for Nim's Island

Parent of a 17 year old Written byRubikh April 9, 2010

I liked it and my daughter age 18 thinks that it's an okay movie. What I admire the most is the powerful imagination of a writer who seems to be a coward in real. But when she receives a call for help from a child stuck on an island, she overcomes her phobia of real adventure by her inner love for expedition.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byhilew January 17, 2010

Fun fun

Character w/ agoraphobia might be a bit over kids heads. And some fantasy scenes were confusing - but it was a lot of fun and some real out load laughs.
Adult Written byauntlisa42 April 9, 2008

Fabulous mother/daughter fun at the movies for a change!

It was such a treat to have an adventure-loving, science minded, not-mean-girl heroine in a children's movie. I took two 7 year olds, a 13 year old (going on 18) and all four of us enjoyed it immensely. One of the 7 year olds hid her eyes at certain points that were a bit too scary. It was such great to go to a movie for girls that wasn't about shopping, finding a husband, being sexy, or involving a romantic fairy tale. It was great to see Nim figure out how to survive and solve problems. This past week I have been asking my daughter "what do you think Nim would have done if she had that problem" and it starts an interesting conversation!
Adult Written byteddycatcat1 April 9, 2008

This is a U in UK too much peril for a 5 year old!

Since this was rated U I had no concerns taking my 5 and 8 year old. Within 30 minutes the 5 year old boy was too scared and we had to leave although my 8 year old daughter was enjoying it. He certainly would have been frightened at the helicopter scene with the author screaming they were going to die! Too much graphic peril for Unclassified- also a fist fight although in a dream sequence.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 3, 2013

Excellent fun for all!

This is a great little flick. Children will love the adventure and animals throughout. Nim is a little girl who has lived on a beautiful tropical island with her dad since she was born. She has animal friends of all species, types and sizes. Her dad is a scientist who has arranged a way to get phone & internet access. When he goes off on a boat trip for a couple of days and leaves Nim alone, a nasty storm approaches and he winds up stuck out in the middle of the ocean. Meanwhile, Nim is worried and believes that the one person who can help her is the one who inspires her most, a writer named Alex Rover (Jodie Foster). When Alex, who has an extreme phobia of the outdoors, receives her message - she is forced to crack out of her shell and begin a journey she is most terrified of - but with the help of her imaginary friend, she eventually gets out there to find Nim. There is plenty of adventure and fantasy going on in this story. The language is not a concern at all. Violence is not bad, mostly frightening sequences like heavy storms, some weapons shown and used in a non-scary way, shark scares but none shown. Great messages throughout of overcoming fears, helping out others and looking out for each other. Nim is a terrific role model! Suited for ages 7 and up.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 17, 2012

nims island

Families can talk about whether this kind of movie is as entertaining as one with lots of special effects and/or animation. Kids: Which kind of adventure do you like better, and why? What makes Nim different from many other kid characters in movies and TV shows? Do you think she's a good role model? What about Alex Rover? What do Alex and Nim learn during the movie? What would you do in Nim's situation? Do you think it was right for her father to leave her alone on the island? Families who've read the book can compare and contrast the two. Which do you like better, and why?
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLeaandMom January 27, 2011

A few tough moments for kids but great role models, especially for girls.

I watched this with three seven-year-olds and they thoroughly enjoyed it. There were definitely moments that were scary for them (the father is lost at sea and battles the elements and his daughter is afraid for him) but, as we watched it at home, they could take a break from the scenes that were a little intense. I liked that the heros were a very self confident young girl and a woman who overcomes her fears to do the right thing.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byDanzaJoy January 19, 2011

Our 6 year old loved it, but know your kids and the content

It's hard to find a movie that is both interesting to the kids and the adults in our home. This one was great. I try to avoid good vs. evil and prefer more complex characters, but the stereotyping of tourists/tour operators was a relatively brief experience less memorable than the girl and the woman overcoming fears and rising to a challenge. Free Range Kid advocates will love Nim and her father!
Parent of a 5, 8, and 9 year old Written byhadleygirls March 14, 2010

Good for my 4th grade girl but scared her younger sisters

My 9 year old girl loved this movie, but it had my 5 year old girl in tears. The movie starts with the mom dead (and I don't even think Disney produced this!) and then there is a very long period where you think the Dad has died at sea and left her alone on an island. It has a happy ending (Dad returns) but my little one was so upset by then it didn't matter!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bytd25 January 4, 2010

Great Movie

I've seen where a few people have said that this was too scary for younger kids. I guess you just have to know your kids. My daughter watched this for the first time when she was 4 & loved it. She is 5 now & watched it right before bed last night & was fine. It's one of her favorite movies.
Adult Written byTheTalker October 3, 2009

For Kids But Not For Me.

The kids I went with LOVED this movie, but I thought it was boring. I think other people should watching this movie with there kids some time they would really like it of they like animals. I'm just the kind of person who likes more action, fighting, ect.
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byDtownmom March 8, 2009

Great Family Movie

We all loved this movie. My 7yo's are easily scared by intense scenes in movies. The scenes with the father at sea might have been frightening if they had seen them on the big screen (we watched on DVD). Also, knowing about those scenes ahead of time and knowing the father was going to be alright in the end really helped. Thanks to Common Sense Media, we were able to prepare them and we all got to enjoy a great family movie!
Adult Written bygarageflix November 12, 2008

Great adventure, great fun!

This is a fun movie for the whole family. I don't find anything objectionable in the movie. Some say that there are some risque bikini shots on the beach, but no more than one would find at any city pool in America.
Adult Written byLKanas April 9, 2008

Great book, great movie!

My daughter read the book during her 1st grade class, then we took her to the movie. It was a great visual depiction of what she read, and she was able to connect what she read to what she saw and where there were nuances. A thrilling family movie. Not for children who get easily scared of storms.
Parent of a 7, 9, and 11 year old Written byalmondbutter April 9, 2008

Age 8 and Above

My 7-year-old daughter was very upset in the beginning. The violent storm and the Dad in trouble was too much for my daughter - we had to walk out. My 10 and 12 year olds were fine with the drama.
Adult Written byJade2908 April 9, 2008

A fun movie

Jodie Foster was a little strange in this role but then we've never seen her in a role like this one..... My daughter enjoyed this movie.
Adult Written byaimlyss April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymyinbox4u April 9, 2008

Enjoyable!!

My husband and I took my 8 year old son and his friend who is 9 and we all enjoyed this movie. It had a lot of action and it was cute to see how Nim was with the animals. We thought the part that Jodie Foster played was a funny twist to the movie.
Adult Written byHayleyJessup April 9, 2008

Good fun for Fri night

Took my 8 year old son and we both enjoyed it very much. He loved the animals and how creative Nim was... thought the relationship between Nim and Alex was fun and the relationship between Alexandra and Alex rather funny. I think it is a fun movie and wished my 14 year old had been with us.
Adult Written byitsjustme April 9, 2008

Its Just Ok

I was sorry I took my 8 year old - it may have been better if Jodi would have put on a bra - way too much of her was sticking out through her tight shirt. The story was good but the wet t-shirt has to go