Parent reviews for O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Teens might enjoy this offbeat Odyssey adaptation.

Wondering if O Brother, Where Art Thou? is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byVohaul February 16, 2019

A fantastic movie!

This is a great movie with fantastic music and lines abound. My family and I have watched it so many times we have it almost memorized. However, there are a few things of note:
1. The KKK is prominent in the movie
7. some scary parts
8. George Nelson is based on the infamous gangster Babyface Nelson
9. Due to its depiction during the Depression, racist terms are used
Parent of a 10 and 14-year-old Written bybeasleysmom March 31, 2010

Good to watch and discuss, I think, but not with kids too young

The sirens are definitely suggestive, but that went over the head of my then 8 year old. Other than that it's a great story. My older child (then around 11, I think) had read the odyssey and really appreciated the parallels. There's also a scene very much reminiscent of the wizard of oz.

I thought the depiction of racism and the KKK was shocking, but in a good way. It's a part of our history that it was good for the kids to see.

There is also some violence, which I am usually sensitive too, but over all, I thought it was good.

Adult Written byCriticus January 20, 2019

An Odyssey into Strangeness

O Brother, Where Art Thou feels like it captures the essence of what is means to be a Coen brothers classic. It is bizarre, and at times a bit coarse. The story feels haphazard and nonsensical (and it always will remain so to a degree), yet it come together into something rather more homogenous at last - not a negative aspect, certainly, just a different style. My attempt to keep an index of curse words fell apart after a while, as the effort from recording them probably would have eventually doubled the time it took me to see the movie, had I persevered in it. However, a rough total may help you judge the movie's suitability for your situation. I found approximately 5 strong religious profanities, a few uses of "a**", 10 "h***" words, 11 "SOB" or variations, and 32 "da**" or "G**_da**" words. The n word is also used once. To summarise, although the language may be mild in form, it is very common throughout the film, and should be a major consideration as to its' suitability. Sexuality is kept to a minimum, with a siren-related scene and some sex-appeal references being the farthest the movies goes in this regard. The sirens, bathing in the river, are dressed in loose garments, and begin to seduce the protagonists, but we don't see what eventuates, as we fade out. All in the context of its neo screwball/slapstick comedy nature, O Brother, Where Art Thou also addresses the Ku Klux Klan and Christianity. One character claims to have made a deal with the devil. Altogether, this is one of the stranger of the Coen brothers' films, and although not entirely intended to be taken seriously, its high language count, sometimes explicit violence (cows are pelted with bullets and hit by a car, a flaming cross falls and kills a man, there are some fistfights and similar battles) and varied subject matter make this imperatively acceptable only for a more mature audience.

Adult Written bydarthsitkur March 21, 2014

so hilarious lol, the coen boys are awesome

this was Just as hilarious as the big lebowski and George clooney had me cracking up the whole time lol
Parent of a 14-year-old Written byPyroTeck March 14, 2010
My son and I really liked the movie, it's funny.
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byTylerW March 12, 2010
Adult Written bykostas January 7, 2009
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8-year-old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Funny, not much like the Odyssey

Parents should know that there are some not so good scenes in the movie. There is a scene where sirens seduce a group of men. There is also frequent language (god***n, s**t, etc.) There are some violent moments, but overall it is okay for tweens+