Kid reviews for O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Teens might enjoy this offbeat Odyssey adaptation.

Wondering if O Brother, Where Art Thou? is OK for your kids?

Teen, 13 years old Written byEasy E March 26, 2014

If you like off-beat humor this is for you!

This is a funny take on the south in the 30's, being that of the south there is a few derigatory terms( 1 use of n*g*er, several uses of negro, blackie, and cracker.

Kid, 12 years old November 25, 2012

great movie

you will love this movie and it is funny. specially delmar. oh and the soundtrack is great. or in my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process May 11, 2011

A great, clever, funny movie!

I saw this movie when I was about 11 and loved it! It's a feel-good movie, and an accurate portrait of the south back in the 1930s. The general optimism and fun of the movie makes you forget some of the violence and language. The KKK scene was creepy, however.

Kid, 12 years old March 25, 2010

Mixed Reviews: What to look out for, and what to looks forward too.

I personally love the movie, but I do think that there are a few concerns:
It can be a little rough for children under the age of 10, the violence may be too much for them.
Sexual behavior, when they stop the car to find the sirens may not be very suitable for children.
Language, there are several words to watch out for during the movie.
Role models, they aren't great role models as Goerge Clooney escaped from prison and lied to his friends. I presonally LOVe the movie, but wouldn't show it ages under 10 or 11. Great music and actors

Teen, 13 years old Written byConker22 September 12, 2020

O brother watch this now

O brother where art thou is a children’s film.Other than the one scene with the sirens and the KKK meeting the movie is light hearted and quirky

Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2020

Excellent film but with multiple killings of live animals

Acting-wise, I like everything about this film except John Goodman, who you cannot forgot is John Goodman while he is acting, and i wish they had cast someone else. He sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything else flows beautifully.

Regarding intensity, i realize others have remarked on the KKK scenes, etc, but as i have seen and read much on the subject, that didn't shock me. What i found incredibly disturbing was the hands-on killing of a palm-sized animal, and the emotionally distraught individual who was overwrought by this murder. I wish they hadn't shown the killing (near enough) on-screen. I also wish there was a disclaimer at the end of the film saying nothing was hurt in the making of the film. (There wasn't, that i saw. ....PETA, where art thou?)
Teen, 15 years old Written byCormac M May 30, 2018

Great adventure and music; but some iffy content and language

This was a fine film. It's based off of Greek mythology and tells the story of three convicts who escape from prison and go on a quest, facing all sorts of challenges and dangers along the way. The music in the film is of good quality, too. Great look at the American South during the Great Depression. It can be rather intense at times, but not too much so. However, there is frequent rough language in the film, consisting of obscenities and derogatory terms. Also, one character makes fun of Christianity. Additionally, there is some suggestive content and innuendo. This is really a movie for those who are in their teens; not really for anyone younger. It's good to watch if you're studying mythology and history.

Teen, 15 years old Written byshrekoranop February 2, 2016

Its good

This is jesus

Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 26, 2011

O Brother, Where Art Thou

this movie is really good
Teen, 17 years old Written byJoe Blow November 20, 2011

Great film!

This movie has profanity that is innapropriate for kids. Strongest profanity words are: G-d-mn and SOB

Teen, 15 years old Written bymongofa May 27, 2010

Tweens and up

Very interesting, and funny. Another great Coen brothers film.

Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 May 7, 2010
This movie is good... kinda weird... I remember my dad and my friend's dad sang the "I'm a man of constant sorrow" song at a karaoke party before I knew this movie and put on fake beards and my and my friend ran away screaming... it was so embarrassing! I probably would have enjoyed their little soggy bottom boys nod more if I knew the movie... I watched it for the first time last night and i thought it was weird but there was some funny stuff. I love George Clooney and Holly Hunter, and I knew those stars from Raising Arizona, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Incredibles, so it was fun. The KKK scene is creepy....... and for violence, kids can have their parents tell them when to shut their eyes. :)
Very entertaining!

Teen, 14 years old Written byjrcalhoun759 April 5, 2010

Perfect for young teens and tweens

Very good movie, but has quite a lot of language. Nothing else really wrong for it besides the fact that the three main characters are criminals. There is a bloody nose from a guy getting hit in the face with a big branch. And there is a comical fist fight. And there is a scene where 3 girls are bathing but nothing explicit is shown.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGlowbee March 26, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

Love it! Good message with not the idylic role models, some swearing, and people may not be comfortable answering some questions younger audiences pose.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySkully16 March 23, 2010

awesome!!!

i LOVE this movie!!!!!! very well done!!!...it does have bad stuff in it, but it is still a very well done movie!..:-) I would recommend this movie to all my friends!..and it gets really funny!.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPinkgirl13 March 14, 2010
I love love love this movie it is great teens it does really show how life was for people during this time period. It has great music and has some really hilarious parts!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bycourt_court_01 March 13, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written byjohnwi312 December 27, 2009

Great surreal comedy. OK for kids.

Just awesome - hilarious and bizarre, with plenty of great music. A good time overall, and nothing too inappropriate for slightly older kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 22, 2009

Really funny movie

You don't need to know the Odyssey to enjoy this hilarious movie, full of inside jokes like "Dapper Dan" and being turned into a frog you can share with your friends, and great performances. I personally liked this Coen's movie over "No Country for Old Men!"

Teen, 14 years old Written byBrando804 August 30, 2009

The big rock candy mountian of movies!

A funny, happy tale of a few men trying to pull their lives together after being in jail.