All parent member reviews for October Baby

Adult Written byBeeSpeaks December 1, 2012

Powerful message of love & forgiveness

This is a real tear-jerker. Have a box of tissue handy! A great film for young adults (not really appropriate for kids under 12) to watch with their parents. Geared toward college students on up. When the main character, Hannah Lawson learns that the reasons for her health challenges are related to the fact that she was born prematurely as the result of a failed abortion, she sets out on a journey to find her biological mother. Conflict arises between the girl and her adoptive parents, as she feels betrayed for not having been told the truth. The more facts she uncovers on her quest, the more grieved and confused Hannah becomes. With the support of her faithful friend, Jason, and a belated confession from her parents, the girl comes to grips with who she is and is able to communicate God's grace to the woman who tried to end her life so many years ago. If your life has been touched in any way by the issue of abortion, this is a must-see for you. Not at all the condemning kind of movie you might expect, this film shows the issue from all sides--the young woman with the crisis pregnancy, the clinic worker, the child and her adoptive parents. See how God can take a disastrous situation and make something beautiful of it. BTW--You also need to see the special feature with the film-makers discussing the movie. The actress who played the biological mother had a real-life experience that parallels what she portrayed. Making this movie actually aided in her healing!
Adult Written bycrashtx1 April 10, 2012

Somewhat uneven but overall good message

The reviewer did a pretty good job. The plot was slow moving and overly complicated, and my wife and I were still trying to sort out some of the flow after the movie was over(so I guess they transferred two severely premature babies from Mobile to where the family lives? Not likely, but ok). Also, the story did not seem to be written or consulted by anyone with adoptive children. There was virtually no use of "birth parents" or "biological parents", just "real mom" and other harsh terms used by the uneducated(I understand the use of those terms in moments of anger by the lead, but this was a constant by all throughout the movie). The morality shown by the leading lady was very good. Not preachy, but she stuck with her values throughout the movie. The writers did know how to pull on(and out) the heartstrings, again, especially if you have been involved in adoption. I do disagree that the conversation with the nurse was purposefully shocking. The entire storyline was about a girl born premature as the result of a failed abortion. At some point what actually happened during the abortion needed to be said. I thought that was the most real and most powerful part of the movie. If people cannot handle the truth then they can go watch Hunger Games again. The part of the movie I struggled with the most was the angle that the girl had emotional issues as a result of the failed abortion and **SPOILER ALERT** loss of her sibling. That seem to be the explanation to her inner turmoil while having a beyond perfect life with truly loving parents.
Adult Written bykpianist7 October 3, 2014
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written byElizabethW October 21, 2012

emotional film about the power of forgiveness and the reality of what abortion is

Great film for teens and adults. The acting was great and it brings tears to your eyes. It ends with a great positive message on forgiveness. It wasn't hard at all to follow, like another reviewer suggested and it is based on the events of an actual failed abortion. It's not for young kids but as soon as you feel your child can handle the harsh realities of abortion, it would be a good film to watch with them.
Parent of a 9, 11, 15, and 18+ year old Written byfreddyeddy October 14, 2012

WONDERFULL MOVIE!!!

Hi, I'm 11 and I really enjoyed October Baby because of its' message. It wasn't too heavy for me and I would not have rated it PG-13. It was OK for me because my parents and I have talked about the subject of abortion before. I think that the movie was very well made to be realistic but not too frightening. At the end when the credits are rolling an actor explains her real life experience with abortion and how this movie helped her recover from the great loss she felt, I really enjoyed that part. Overall, I think October Baby is a wonderful film and I think the rating that the Common Sense Media website gave this film was too low. I think this is a good movie for families with older children to discuss.
Parent Written bylillysky September 28, 2012

We loved October Baby

My husband and I watched this movie and loved it. The only problem we had, was we couldn't stop crying. It was very powerful with unexpected events. Very moving!