Kid reviews for Okko's Inn

Anime ghost story rich with Japanese culture, grief.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 15 years old Written byCooltiger37 April 28, 2019

Not terrible, but not really that great either

To be honest, while I wasn't expecting this movie to be fantastic, I at least wanted a cute, touching drama about the crushing impact loss can have on everyone. Unfortunately, the overly childish tone (which annoyingly ruins several moments that were clearly meant to be more emotionally powerful than they actually wound up being; although the film did get better with that towards the end), one-dimensonal stereotypes (the stuck-up princess, the bratty teenager, etc, etc, etc.), and poor/nonexistent explanations for how the children became ghosts (didn't Makoto already learn that the roof was too dangerous to climb on after Mineko nearly died falling off it?) marred any real chance of that. That being said, though, the film admittedly is too warmhearted and enjoyable for me to really muster up the energy to get that mad at it (especially when compared with the bizarre, shrieking dumpster fire that is "Lu Over the Wall"). Oh yeah, and while the film occasionally can be a little intense (especially in a flashback-induced panic attack and the opening accident scene, the latter of which briefly shows a truck crashing into Okko's car from her point of view before cutting to a distant shot of her lying dazed on the top of another car), other than some minor potty jokes (Makoto sometimes picks his nose and flicks the boogers at people), smoking (also shown from a distance; used cigarettes are also seen), and a scene where most of a woman's breasts (though not her nipples) can be seen as she bathes in the nude, there isn't really anything here that's inappropriate for (slightly older) kids to see. My MPAA rating: PG for mild rude humor, some partial nudity and brief smoking, and for thematic material including an opening accident scene.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCooldudeben July 2, 2019