Parent reviews for Oliver & Company

Can't compete with Disney classics, but still fun.

Adult Written byleslier July 26, 2014

Simply horrible. I wish I hadn't purchased this movie

My daughter is 4. I read the reviews on this site and thought that the movie looked appropriate for her. I was wrong. This movie has a loan shark that threatens a beggar-type character with death should he not be able to repay his loan. To find money, he uses a gang of dogs to take advantage of others, and to conspire to kidnap the cat of a wealthy child, which ultimately results in the kidnapping of that child. This movie was fraught with negative aspects of adult society that are both frightening and inappropriate for a child. I am horrible disappointed.

Adult Written bys b February 26, 2017

Not for under 6!

As an early childhood educator and parent of a child under 5, I trusted the 4+ average parent rating. I've been using common sense media for about a year, but never contributed. I felt compelled to add a review to hopefully get the age adjusted. My child was terrified by the "scary guy in the car" who was threatening and mean and constantly smoking. She didn't understand why a mean man would threaten another person for money and I had no idea how to explain. Georgette is dishonest and coniving to get "rid" of Oliver. The dogs use unkind words. Then, the last straw was the kidnapping of Jenny! My child was so upset we had to turn the movie off. I was sick to my stomach that I didn't know it was coming and she had to see it. Reality is, that the world can be scary, but I feel that I would've approached the topic differently and was not prepared for my child to know just how ugly people can be...just yet. Note to self: no matter what the reviews say...screen first.

Parent of a 2 and 4-year-old Written byRebecca Spark April 24, 2019

Watch Wally Down Under and Nature Cat instead!

This movie is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. First of all, the beginning is stolen from Nature Cat Tales' 1993 pilot! (EVEN THE SONG!) Also, Oliver looks like Nature Cat when he's a house cat except he's orange. This is nothing like Oliver Twist. Jenny almost dies, and the kids I was babysitting started crying loudly when the villain was ran over by a train (I get he's the villain but that doesn't change the fact the scene is violent!) Also, the villain says nitwit and crap a few times. Wally Down Under from Hammocks Animation is way better. There is no violence or swearing. Watch Wally and Nature Cat instead.

Adult Written byLionking2000 December 27, 2020

Oliver & company!!

A great film! Has good catchy songs. Has mild violence and the villain does smoke.

Adult Written byMillenialMama May 24, 2020

Dated, dull, sad, scary, and not appropriate for kids.

This popped up on Disney+ and I was excited to watch a movie with my 5 year old and 2 year old that I remember enjoying as a kid. The main theme “Why Should I Worry” And first 10 minutes were enjoyable but after that it was pretty bad...

I was surprised at how inappropriate it all was in 2020 standards. There’s a scary, sinister male villain, a little girl hanging out alone at night with a homeless male stranger, and the little girl’s parents aren’t in the movie ever (why would Disney even act like that’s safe or ok for a little girl to hang out with creepy dudes like that?). And at the end the little chihuahua dog is insinuating that he’s going upstairs to his new dog girlfriend Georgette’s place for sexy stuff. So not necessary.

Disney, I know this is an old flick and thankfully standards have changed but I’m ashamed I even made my kids watch this. Please keep the inappropriate and sexy stuff out of kid movies. It’s so unnecessary, and kids are smarter than you think. Do better.

I’ll stick to newer movies with better messages of true friendship, female empowerment, and not trying to hide adult themes / innuendo / and sexual messages in kid animated movies.

Adult Written byrenemonroy2019 October 17, 2018

Adult Written byRarityfan October 4, 2018

It's NYC yo

If it wasn't for the many Oliver and Company AMV's on Youtube and Oliver and Company Deviantart this 30 year old animated movie would had been forgotten these days. Beautiful girl dogs and lots of violence including a too rushed running time, and a shame this did not make it to the row of many 2000's Disney sequels. The animation, music and songs makes it feels like you're in a long vanished time of NYC. Beside that NYC is big in consumerism, but all the old Oliver and Company toys, picture books and more had seemed to be gone these 30 years. I might be one of the very few that remember the free Oliver and Company comics you could get at the local Danish gas station for a limited time.

Adult Written byJudith R. April 20, 2018

This is a great film, if you use your common sense!

I found it very funny that so many parents were scandalized by the story. It is a modern retelling of classic literature: Dickens' Oliver Twist! A good gauge to tell if your child is ready for it is whether or not you would consider screening OLIVER! (another G rated musical based on the same story) for them.

Otherwise, this is a terrific little film. The characters are engaging, and now, 30 years on, it captures the look and feel of 1980's New York City brilliantly. The opening sequence, depicting Oliver's struggle to find shelter to the lovely tune of "Once Upon a Time in New York City" never fail to bring me to tears.

I appreciate that Jenny, the little girl who adopts Oliver, is portrayed as a real little girl, kind and loving, but also a tiny bit willful as well. The characters, aside from Oliver, Jenny, and possibly Jenny's faithful butler Winston, are not the best role models, but in the real world, none of us are perfect. However, like Fagin and his gang, we can all be our best selves when we need to be.
Parent Written bykrystal c. August 12, 2017

Not for young children

I let my 4 yr old watch this movie for the first time 3 weeks ago. Since then, she has suddenly become terrified about being taken by a stranger when we are out in public and has woken up with bad dreams about a stranger taking/kidnapping her. Too much real world bad themes for a young child to process. I watched it as a child, maybe 10 yrs old, and I didn't remember much about it. I wish I would have screened it first, or remembered the movie better and I would not have shown it to my daughter.

Parent of a 17 and 17-year-old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

One of our favorites

My younger son says that this, Gordy, and Brother Bear are the most underrated Disney movies ever. Of them, this is my (and his) favorite. We love the music in it. I am trying to teach my younger son to be like Dodger from the movie and not care what other people think. Instead he is more like Oliver, trying to find his place in the world. That's why Once Upon a Time in New York City is his favorite song. He can also sing the foreign versions, namely French, Spanish, and Russian. There are two French versions: one from France and one from Canada. He can sing them both, and even knows the translation of the European French. There is also a line in the Polish and Icelandic versions that goes "to dream is not a sin". I am trying to teach my younger son that the same applies to opinions. He is convinced that he is wrong to like Liv and Maddie, which is his favorite show. It is not a bad show, but it is not as good as this. Overall: 9.75/10 (8/10 for Liv and Maddie).

Adult Written byJasmine March 12, 2014
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

I've gotta go with what's already been said; 3 stars?

This is in my top 8 from Disney. 10/10 best Disney soundtrack.

UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 26: I asked SodaDog at tv.com to write a review here. I also asked him to review Sanjay and Craig. I updated my review at tv.com to ask if he could review other great Disney classics. To SodaDog, could you also review Sanjay and Craig and Rabbids Invasion at tv.com?

Educational Value
Adult Written byRaptor69 January 5, 2012

Fun for kids of all age

The movie has good music cool characters and a good view of New York City

Adult Written byjnscudder0 February 23, 2011

Favorite movie as a child!

I love this movie! It was my favorite movie as a child. It came out on VHS when I was 5 years old and my sister was 4. We both enjoyed it immensely for it's songs, humor, and not to mention its great storyline. It has been 15 years and we still love it!

Parent of a 3-year-old Written bywonderwoman September 5, 2010
My son is 3.5 years and I thought it would be okay for him, but he was quite scared in parts. The dobermans with the big teeth were scary and the chase scene at the end. I had to keep telling him that I think it would be okay. It's too bad because I'm trying to find movies that we can watch with our son and thought this would be good, but maybe in a year or two...