Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Once Upon a Deadpool

Entertaining re-edited sequel tones down violence, language.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byKidcritic.com December 13, 2018

Great film! Except...

Now this film was AWEOSME! As a ten year old who LOVES Deadpool, being able to watch it was AMAZING! Now I went into the theater with PRETTY HIGH expectations. I was hoping for tons of outstanding and outrageous humor. Which I got some of. Now this film is the PG-13 version of Deadpool TWO. Not the first film, just for those that didn't know. The NORMAL Deadpool 2 didn't include Fred Savage. The Fred Savage scenes were HILARIOUS! This film did cut out all the F-Bombs, two HAD to be bleeped out. And the partial nudity was blurred since it was an important scene. But the blurred nudit was NON-sexual. There were also lots of bleeped out words in the Fred Savage scenes, including the F-Bomb multiple times. In the film Deadpool was bleeping the F-Bombs out in the Fred Savage scenes. There also is quite a bit of inappropriate humor and references. I think that the R rated versions would be better because of the hilarious inappropriate humor and langauge, and because the strong bloody comedic violence. My MPAA rating is: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, sexual and some crude content, language, thematic elements, a brief drug image, sexual references and humor, and for some bloody images. The brief drug image is because we see Wade (Deadpool) take out cocaine out of a compartment. But we see him do nothing with it. This film also does push the PG-13 rating a bit, but it's still a fine PG-13. So this is a great and hilarious film that is fine for tweens 11-12+! Hope this helps!

Adult Written byRandomNerd December 16, 2018

Not exactly kid friendly

I took my 8 and 12 year old to see this movie. They were pretty excited to be able to see a Deadpool movie finally. I knew going into the movie it could only be so kid friendly because it is Deadpool and let's be honest they can't take out everything inappropriate. Overall most of the jokes should go over children's heads, the violence was cleaned up mostly but there is still a good amount of it, and if your kids aren't little used to watching movies that have some adult content this movie might be a bit much for them. My kids have watched almost all the super hero movies as well as some movies that are a bit dark or scary so this wasn't too much for them. Overall you should know your own children's maturity level and decide for yourself what your kids can handle.
Adult Written bykturner123 December 16, 2018

NOT family friendly

After reviewing the reviews released before the movie, I took "family friendly" and PG-13 to possibly be appropriate. I will say that I am not a Deadpool fan (no comparison to Marvel movies) but I have a son that really wanted to see this movie. My son, and myself, were very surprised and disappointed. Not cool Fox:(

Adult Written byA Boyos December 23, 2018

I mean...it’s Deadpool...

Big fan of the first two movies. Not sure what I expected from Deadpool, but there is NO WAY I found this version clean enough to be rated PG13... Screened it for my kids and it’s a big NOPE

Adult Written byMom_2_3 December 19, 2018

Good, but.......

I disagree with CSM's rating of 14+. Still a lot of crude language and swearing, innuendo. It's Deadpool after all. There's comic book violence which is expected but not much blood. I have not seen the other Deadpool movies and thought since this had a 14+ rating, I'd take a chance and take my 14 year old to see. it. Eh, it was a little too much in my opinion, for the language and innuendo. More suitable for 16+. NOTE: If you go, be sure and stay for the very end, past the rolling credits. There's a really nice tribute to Stan Lee.

Adult Written byEliza Jupiter December 12, 2018

Great family film

I bet your teenager has been trying to get you to go See Deadpool Clearly Deadpool is Not appropriate for anyone under 18 but once upon a Deadpool is a perfect way For you and your child to see Deadpool together

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byJoshua H. December 18, 2018

Still not for teens.

This was a very, very hard PG-13, that just barely toes the line of R. There are still plenty of jokes and dialogue that need to be cleaned before it is truly a PG-13. I'd recommend waiting for this version to hit Clearplay, so you can clean up the already "cleaned up" version of this movie. The violence level was fine, but it was the language and sexual jokes that were my main issue.

Adult Written byShanerocks12 January 6, 2019

Not as “kid friendly” as advertised!

This movie is a great action movie, but it can be too much at times. It is very inappropriate for a PG-13 movie, and it really didn’t change anything from Deadpool 2 except maybe take out some of the language and violence. All of the sex jokes are pretty bad for someone under 14. The language consists of s**t, a**, b***h, p***y, and many more. Luckily, the violence isn’t too bad. I do not suggest taking your young children to see this movie because, even though it is made to be a crack at family movies, IT IS NOT A FAMILY MOVIE!!

Adult Written byMetalhead95 December 30, 2018

Possibly the funniest PG13 movie of the year, but not for elementary kids

(Spoilers ahead, you’ve been warned) I think this movie isn’t for smaller children because while it is pg13, there is still lots of violence, scenes of wade trying to commit suicide, him somewhat succeeding at this towards the end, the language used throughout the movie (fox exploits the trick that you only have to edit out the f word, but there are still plenty of s--ts, damns, Hells, a use of p---y, stripper, and still more) children are tortured by a corrupt headmaster in a flashback, lots of innuendo (one scene has Fred Savage talking about fighting Matt Damon, but Deadpool keeps censoring the word ‘fight’ to sound like he really wants to f--k Matt Damon) the X-Force death scene speaks for itself of just how far this movie pushes the line. There is plenty more I could speak about, but I’d say see this movie first and then judge whether your child is ok to see this. Most middle schoolers have heard worse things from classmates than this movie says, so if they’re not squeamish of the iffy content and are mature enough to handle the topics thrown around in Once Upon a Deadpool, I’d say take them. Also, make them watch The Princess Bride first, then they’ll understand the framing device involving Fred Savage. (P.s. there is a lit cigarette shown in a scene, in another scene Deadpool grabs his cocaine stash but does nothing with it, and some scenes take place in Weasel’s bar, so obviously some alcohol is shown)

Adult Written byLachlan234568 December 15, 2018

Great reskin of deadpool 2, but not that much different.

i think this was a great movie, but i was also a little disappointed walking out of the theater when the movie ended. It is deadpool 2, with a few new scenes, bleeped F bombs, and it still has nudity and graphic references, also still a very big amount of blood. This movie pushed the PG-13 rating to the edge, I think it should've stayed R. The movie being PG-13, i still think it's inappropriate for children. I think 13 is a reasonable age for once upon a deadpool. Also, this movie strips away almost ALL of the humor in the original R 2nd movie. i think if you've already seen it, you are basically buying a ticket for a less funny version. It's good for teens and i just think It's good only if you didn't see the original.

Adult Written byEvilHairball42 February 3, 2019

Not rated R

Many people think that because deadpool 1 and 2 are rated R this shouldn't be any different. That is not true. If you allow your kid to see avengers or spider man they can see this movie too. It's funny and stupid. Great movie and pg-13

Adult Written byJeff Harbough December 22, 2018

Not as inappropriate as the first 2

Once upon a Deadpool is a great movie. Not as funny as the first 2 but still overall pretty funny. Still with extremely violent scenes, many S words, very little sexy scenes, and a scene drinking in a barI think it is ok for kids 10+. No graphic nudity and beeps out F-bombs. It might be a little too voilent for sum kids. Great movie. You should definitely watch it

Parent of a 11 year old Written byAleshaB December 16, 2018

Lots of Adult humor

Yes, some of the gore and many of the swear words were removed but it still was Deadpool.

Adult Written bynicholle January 21, 2019

NOT A FAMILY FRIENDLY MOVIE!!!

I am outraged that Disney would be a part of tricking parents into letting their children watch such a vulgar movie!! SHAME ON YOU DISNEY!!! I wish that I could sue you for corrupting my 8 year old and 10 year old boys. My 8 year old son loves superheroes. He is at a very impressionable age and he wants to be just like Stan Lee, when he grows up. He pays close attention to detail when he watches a superhero movie. He can tell you the origin of every superhero and villain created by marvel, except Deadpool. I was adamant about not letting him see such vulgarity. But, it was advertised as a "family friendly movie". So, I went against my motherly intuition and let my boys watch it anyway. You should have left deadpool to the adults! I am so disappointed that you lowered your standards to gain monetary value. So disheartening. :(

Adult Written byLolllololol February 16, 2019
I've watched both deadpool bit this is just a kid version don't like watch the real one

Adult Written bydrubie19 January 30, 2019

Not as good as Deadpool 2

This is just an edited version of Deadpool 2. If you have deadpool 2 then don't bother with this just show your kids the funnier uncensored version. If you don't have deadpool 2 then go ahead and get this it takes out many of the more adult jokes and a lot of the gore it also takes out almost all of the cursing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byKieranu January 28, 2019

Creatively pushing the bar of a PG-13

The film makers were very creative in pushing the boundaries of what the sensitivities of the MPAA board will allow in a PG-13 film. While it was still a little violent for my 8 year old (she is sensitive to the sounds from repeated machine gun fire etc) and the scenes around a significant death in the film were a little traumatic for her it wasn't anything that she couldn't manage it and was in keeping with other films like the most recent Star Wars trilogy.
Adult Written byAustin G. January 26, 2019

It's exactly what you think it is

It's just a soft version of Deadpool 2, so no F bombs or blood or seeing bones break. It's perfectly fine, and something that parents can watch and be okay with their kids watching.
Parent Written byRick G. January 18, 2019

Fine for teens, BUT...

Be warned, while a lot of the profanity, has been cleaned up, there are still a TON of really filthy bits of dialogue that made it in. It really depends on the kid. If you think they can handle a movie like this, that is a VERY hard PG-13, then let them see it. I showed it to my 10 year old and he loved it; but then, he is a pretty resilient kiddo. Just be prepared with that there are still rape jokes abound throughout, as well as still some violence, though nowhere near as graphic as the theatrical release. Wade/Deadpool is a decent person who tries to do the right thing, yet his perception of how to do the right thing is not necessarily the best. The characters of Domino and Cable, are a lot of fun to watch in action and will definitely thrill your teens in a great way.