Parent reviews for Onward

Original, heartfelt sibling adventure about love and loss.

Adult Written byhelto1 March 10, 2020

Emotional, heartfelt, thrilling, everything you expect from Pixar

Onward is Pixar's latest and greatest film. The story of two brothers who lost their dad early in life and are given the gift of a magical spell that can bring him back to life for 24 hours. The story and its subsequent quest are indeed magical. The brothers learn about their dad, fight, bond, and generally grow up on their quest to finish the spell. I am not ashamed to admit that I was crying my eyes out at the end while my 4 year old son sat there with a smile on his face the entire time. Everything about this movie is touching, and I cannot recommend it enough.

I also applaud them for introducing the first LGBTQ+ character in Pixar history, it's little things that can grow into big things and overall acceptance instead of the hatred and ignorance our culture currently engages in. But if you're a person who doesn't believe that all are equal, don't fret, the mention is quick and you may not even notice.

Adult Written byMommaBear D. March 12, 2020

Sweet and charming.

I took my 9 and 6 yr old to see Onward. It was sweet and charming w/ some good messages about the bond between brothers. There were a couple parts that were pretty intense and had my 6 year old on edge - a "manticore" in a violent rage and a fire breathing dragon tries to kill the main characters at the end. There's also a theme of death throughout as the main characters have lost their dad to illness. I was waiting for the scene with the openly gay character - my kids didn't say anything about it so I'm not sure if they noticed the "significance" or not, but it's definitely there and a subtle attempt to normalize same sex relationships. Overall though we enjoyed the movie and I would watch it again.

Adult Written bychrisdye2025 March 9, 2020

if theres a question of whether your kids can handle it dont do it

okay lets start by saying i fell hard in love with the movie i loved the fat brother if you dont know if your kids can handle the greif of the brothers losing their dad and the intense action towards the end then its best to wait to see it on blueray i did think the gay cop was a bit out of place for kids but aside from that the movie was marvelous

Adult Written byJulia Meyer March 8, 2020

Awesome show!

Super awesome movie loved the plot. I thought it was very appropriate for the kids! It also had very good role models. There were a couple of suspenseful parts that my 5 year old got a little scared on, but she sat though and watched the whole thing. After the movie was over she loved it!

Adult Written bymovieman48 March 10, 2020

Not one of Pixar's best

The first half is really weird about two elves searching for the top half of their lost father they've magic'd up. The second half picks up and is ent4rtaining but your little one will probably be lost by then. Not one of Pixar's best though the animation is stunning
Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written byStoto8 March 9, 2020

Great movie, fast paced and loud!

I took my 6 and 4 year olds to the movie. They loved it!! We met up with my son's friend who is also 6 and has a 2 year old brother. The 6 year old was holding his ears and had to leave the theater for a bit. I don't think the 2 year old was too sold either.

Great story. Very fast paced and adventurous. I loved all the D&D- and Magic-like references they made! Very funny. The use the term Screw Up a few times throughout one scene, but that's the worst you'll get with language. Enjoy!

Adult Written bybuckolas March 9, 2020

Great movie, very emotional

My 7 yr old and I were crying, my 4 yr old didn’t quite get it. Everyone loved it.

Adult Written byMberket March 6, 2020

Way too violent for little kids

Went with my 6 year old and she couldn’t handle it, too dark and violent. Story is pretty good, but the animation is way too fast paced.

Adult Written byC77 March 13, 2020

A little boring

The theme was sweet and charming, but kind of boring. It was hard to really connect to the characters and the theme. The visuals were good and the acting was good, just not the most interesting movie they've offered. There were also a lot of 'what the *, and son of a *' unfinished phrases for a child's movie.

Adult Written byDaddyBud March 9, 2020

My kid has never cried so much

I feel so bad that I took my 6 yr-old to this movie. He seemed to enjoy most of it. The action was not too intense, but the emotional ending made him cry all the way through the closing credits. I would have written this review sooner, but he was clinging on to my arm all night.
Adult Written byJetipton21 March 24, 2020

Inspirational

This movie is the perfect mixture of the fantasy magical world of beasts, fairies, centaurs, dragons, and elfs, The current modern day world and a family tragedy. Two brothers grow up without a dad and end up going on a quest to bring him back for just one day, encountering magical beings and slaying beasts in the process. In the end the older brother finally got to say goodbye and the younger brother realized that he didnt need a dad because his whole life he had someone who pushed him to his best and taught him how to grow up...his older brother.

Adult Written byHolly R. March 23, 2020

Not impressed...

So I watched this at my in-laws house who got the early digital release and I’m not really impressed... The positive are that it’s got gorgeous animation and some of the actors were well cast and it had some really touching moments. On the downside some of the plot doesn’t make much sense if you think about it too much. Like how technology overtook magic despite the fact that you could temporarily raise the dead with magic. It leaves much of the plot unexplained properly. The lesbian cop is just a brief scene and isn’t much to worry about. You can mute the dialogue for a couple of seconds if it bothers you that much. But I’m just saying it’s disappointing because the plot has promise but wasn’t really done as well as it could. Maybe Soul will be better this summer once COVID-19 isn’t an issue...
Adult Written byjablock March 23, 2020

Fun Magical Movie (For Boys)

This movie was really fun to watch. I have three boys (5, 8, 11) and they loved the fantasy element of this movie. I will say that I am happy to see a movie geared towards boys again and that it has to do with brothers.

The ending made my wife and I cry and is super emotional - in a good way.

Pixar did a good job here. Not a classic, but still super fun.

*The "controversy" over Pixar's first LGTBQ character is way over-hyped. There is a funny scene where one character says she has a girlfriend with a daughter and it's said in context. It wasn't forced at all. My boys didn't even notice it, personally. And yes, this is the zeitgeist of our culture in movies - even kids movies. We as parents need to do our job and *talk* with our kids about culture and values. :)

Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written byMrs. C. B. March 13, 2020

Pixar, we love you.

Something for everyone. We were laughing , we were crying, we were caught up in the adventure every step of the way. Yes, there was drama and sadness. Know your kid's maturity level before hand. Our kids 10 and 12 really enjoyed the movie and the adults did too! It's the adults that got teary.

Adult Written byLebron12James3 March 8, 2020

Onward rocks.

Great movie.
Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written bymassiemomma March 7, 2020

Adult Written byLadywray March 7, 2020

Big thoughts for little ones.

We took our 4,6,7 and 11 year old to this movie last night.
We all loved the movie. Our 4 year old didn’t love the dragon but he sat with dad and was fine.
The message is beautiful and well written. My husbands father is deceased and his older brother fills a lot of empty spots in his life. We identified with this movie personally so I’m sure that gives some bias but the move was great. Our kids purchased the jr novel at Walmart as well.

Adult Written byHakon March 7, 2020
Parent Written byShari H. March 6, 2020

Loved this movie

I loved this movie. It’s really a sweet story about family, generosity, bravery, and forgiveness. It’s very entertaining. I didn’t think it was as scary and violent at some of the other reviewer’s. That said, it does have some scary scenes and definitely has older themes. I took my way-too-young child to see it. We had lots of conversations about it afterwards. The movie really makes you think. I enjoyed it as an adult quite a bit. Take your older kids. Be ready to cry a little.

Adult Written byMeganls March 6, 2020

Very big themes for little hearts

I liked the movie and the nerdy jokes but the theme of dealing with grief and the death of a parent was just too much for my 6 year old. She was terrified the last 1/4 of the movie and by the end she was sobbing about the dad being dead. Be prepared to talk through death and dying or else don't go see it.