All parent member reviews for Open Season

Adult Written bymmaguiremichael April 9, 2008

Is that a Curse word in the main menu???

I could swear I heard a curse word in the main menu. when the small animals comes across the top of the menu sign, one is riding the other. I think one of then says " get off my tree you F***ing squirrel". Am I hearing things? Please let me know!!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byrubysleek September 11, 2009

Too much violence for younger boys

Although I can't exactly pinpoint what it is about this movie, my 3 year old son always starts acting up after watching this movie. He has made mention of the guy with the gun.
Adult Written byksveri April 9, 2008

Adult Written byfilmtv April 9, 2008

Not what expected

Crude gutter behaviour and actions. It did nothing to improve the film and certainly would not have hurt the film if they kept it G rated. I find it very disturbing that producers nowadays feel like they have an open license just because the movie is a cartoon. They should know better.
Adult Written byaidans1 August 7, 2015
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Adult Written bycourtwork January 26, 2013

Cute and pretty harmless

I think this is a cute movie which is comparable to the Shrek movies. If you are OK with those, you should be OK with this one. My 6 year old thought the scenes in the hunter's cabin were scary, and left the room for those, but other than that it was silly and fun for her. She has this to say: "Open Season is a very good movie, other than one part, that may be a little stressing for your child." My 10 year old loved it. People have written that the movie uses the f word in the opening menu, and for the record, I am pretty sure the little animal, who is speaking with a Scottish accent and is supposed to be a parody of Mel Gibson in Braveheart, says "get off my back you buck-tooth..." something (I can't understand the last word). I think people think he's saying "get off my back you f'ing ...." There is one scene where Boog is "drunk" from breaking into a convenience store and getting high on sugar. There are a few jokes that have sexual connotations and also some at the expense of large woman for her weight, but I did not find it offensive. I would recommend this movie for 6 or 7 and up. It has a sweet message about finding out who you really are and where you belong. It is WAY more appropriate than a movie like "Wreck It Ralph," which for me, had few to no redeeming qualities.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 December 17, 2012

open season

Families can talk about the importance of putting yourself in others' shoes. What if you went from a comfortable life -- like Boog's -- to having to fight for survival? Maybe that's a little weighty for kids under 10, but they'll get the message that it's good to nurture friendships and lean on each other through tough times. Families can also discuss the practice of hunting. Why do some people love hunting and others hate it? Why does hunting have to be regulated?
Parent Written byaussieVic August 30, 2012

Language - a reply to "mmaguiremichael" (April 9, 2008)

To "mmaguiremichael" yes it definitely sounds like the "F" word, what a pity. However, I don't believe it is very obvious and might easily be missed by most people but not now it's been noticed. It may well be missed by most who watch the picture - after all not many, if any, others have raised the issue. There may be others during the picture, not that I have consciously heard any. I suggest it was placed in the script intended, and a not very sensibly, as a joke by the perpetrator. I have rated this at 15 and above because I believe most youngsters will be familiar with this word (15-20 years ago I would have rated it as adult).
Parent Written byGrace0625 April 27, 2012

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!

I absolutely love this movie. Its my absolute favorite!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bycrazydenza10 July 29, 2010

its ok for 6 and over
Adult Written bySuper Sammi April 9, 2008

Adult Written bydeschanel April 9, 2008

Adult Written bydan-ee-chuk April 9, 2008

Adult Written bylugomom April 9, 2008

OK

The humor in it was kind of crude (mostly bowel movements and rear end humor). I took three 8 y/o to watch it and they thought it was funny. They only caught up on the violence humor (trucks blown up, hunters beatened by animals, rabbits used as rocks). I would have waited until it came out as a rental.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

More funny for adults but OK for kids

There was some questionable language that I don't let my daughter say. But the characters were loveable and memorable. My 5 year old wants to see it again. If she doesn't repeat some of the slap-stick and language... maybe we'll go see it again.
Adult Written byGrandpa-Frank April 9, 2008

I laughed soda out my nose.

Finally a kids movie WITHOUT demonic, homosexual and other social garbage to made it entertaining. This ones going in the DVD collection the day it comes out!!
Adult Written byfranconia5 April 9, 2008

When Boog puked... I laughed so hard I nearly had to leave the theater!

I can see where some people would be terribly offended by this movie, but our family thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I felt for Boog when he ate too much at the store.... "I'm sorry..." OH MAN I LOL... I do agree with the parent review about some of the language that would not want their child to repeat. My 6 yr old got the hugest kick out of "I'm a duck"... We will be adding it to our movie collection when it comes out.
Adult Written bycevans April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie

My 7 year old son and I saw this movie 3 times and laughed harder each time. We love the soundtrack also and listen to it all the time.