Parent and Kid Reviews on

Orion and the Dark

Orion and the Dark movie poster: Animated nighttime characters.
Our Review

Based on 13 parent reviews

Sort by:

Watch first before letting an anxious child see this!

I DEEPLY regret watching this movie with my anxious 8 year old without vetting it first. The trailer made it look like this would be a cute story about dealing with anxieties and finding the beauty in night. Instead we got extreme and highly detailed existential dread of death in the first 15 minutes. There are pretty scary anxious thoughts repeated constantly through the movie, and the character NEVER deals with a seriously medical level of anxiety besides “Feel the fear and do it anyway!” Possibly one of the least helpful things you can tell a highly anxious child. Are there children that would love this rambling, nihilistic, creative story? Oh absolutely! And indeed those kids may adore this movie because you certainly won’t find its like anywhere else. But please, please be careful if you have an anxious child and watch the whole thing first. I was looking for a sweet story to help with bedtime. Instead I got a grab-bag of worse terrors with zero helpful advice, and I expect bedtime is going to painful for a while after this.
6 people found this helpful.

not recommended for children.

The part where sleep character smothers a person with a pillow, to get them to sleep. Then uses chloroform to get some one to sleep, then she was about to hit a baby on the head with a hammer. It was distressing for my kids to watch . We didn't know the movie had these . Not recommended for children.
3 people found this helpful.

Nothing like the book, not worth it.

The movie was nothing like the book At all. It's actually pretty awful, we got through about half way and I was hugely disappointed. The rating is tv-y7 when in reality it should be rated PG. There is a lot of negative depictions of death and dying due to the kids worries and fears that he draws in his book as his way of coping. The dark comes off as mean and self centered when in the book dark was friendly and kind. The other night entities ate mean and cruel as well, not only that but the way *sleep* puts people to sleep is by putting a literal pillow over their faces, like what?? Then the sweet dreams entity is snobby and rude. It's not for young children, and is highly recommended for children over 9. I can't say this one was a good family movie. And is pretty intense and scary for younger kids.

3 people found this helpful.

Not a good choice to help kids handle their fears.

Didn´t like the movie at all. I thought it would help my kid (7 years old) handle his fear specially to the dark, but it had the opposite effect. Now kids are aware of other fears that exist but they didin't had before. And that scary clown!!!. Orion is full of anxiety and insecurities and the only way he can go through this and somehow show courage is in this sci-fi, time travelling movie, and not facing his real life situations. I regret not watching it before on my own to avoid showing it to my kids.
3 people found this helpful.

Suffocation, drug induced sleep and child abuse is advertised.

Stopped letting my children watch it after they started showing that "sleep" put people to sleep by suffocating them with pillows, using drugs in a rag to make them pass out and then attempting to pound a baby in the head with a hammer to make it go to sleep, then defending the right to do so when Orion questioned the method.

Too scary. Should be PG

I loved the picture book and so did my son, so we gave the movie a try. The movie is not for young children, especially those who suffer from anxiety. We stopped watching after about 15 minutes because the portrayal of Orion's fears coming to life are very scary. The movie gives kids who have worries, many detailed images of new scary things to worry about. Horrible movie. Definitely needs to be PG.
2 people found this helpful.

Movie about drugs, sex, child abuse, and suicide.

Perverted petifile child abuser suffocates man, gives drugs to a person, and tries to hit baby with a hammer but is stopped by the main character who she kisses later on. The character supports the drugs in the end of the movie. THE PLOT IS RUINED AT THE END WHEN TIME TRAVELLER SHOWS UP TO SAVE THE GIRL BUT HE LOOKS LIKE CRAP AND SAYS HE "LEFT HIS TIME MACHINE IN THE BACK YARD SO THEY NEED TO FIGHT MONSTERS TO ESCAPE."

Great Movie

I second other parents who wrote this is not for younger kids, in particular the ones with anxiety. There are many disturbing fears being presented one after another, ranging from school anxiety to abandonment by parents, to death. There’s bullying, violence, humiliation, it’s absolutely unnecessary to watch it. I wish I had come here and read other parents’ reviews before watching it with my 6yo and 9yo boys, there are other movies and books to address the topic better.

PARENTS SLEEP FOR TWENTY FOUR HOURS THROUGH HEATWAVE MAKES NO SENSE

WHY DID THE PARENTS SLEEP SO LONG AHHHHHH DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE HUGE PLOT HOLE also what’s the deal with the chloroform BUT MOSTLY THE THING WITH THE PARENTS LIKE WHAT NOBODY CAN PHYSICALLY SLEEP FOR TWENTY FOUR STRAIGHT HOURS ESPECIALLY DURING LIKE THE END OF THE WORLD HEATWAVE WITH NO NIGHTTIME I prefer the bee movie and or megamind 3