Parent reviews for Paddington 2

Charming, heartfelt sequel entertains, inspires compassion.

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byBeckie I. December 28, 2017

Too scary for little ones

My youngest son absolutely loved the first Paddington film and was really excited to go and see this one. However he was very upset by this film, especially when Paddington got sent to prison.
Adult Written byAnne E. January 14, 2018

Lots of fun for kids and adults. Not too scary or tense. Positive messages about extending friendship and trust to others.

I worried that this would be too scary for my sensitive 6-year-old daughter (we've had to leave Moana and Frozen), but I need not have. This was a gentle movie, but with enough action and tension to keep it entertaining. I was also pleased by the positive messages about including others. I rarely enjoy kids' movies, but I loved this one!

Adult Written byNassim M December 28, 2017

Sweet and soft and full of laughter

We liked this better than the first one as there was no crazy lady chasing Paddington to kill him! Recommended for all family members kids and adults.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byMelissa J. January 20, 2018

Much too intense for my 4.5 year old

The age recommendations on this movie were all over the place, so it was hard to say whether it would be OK for my 4.5 year old. A friend with a kid not much older than ours recommended it, so we decided to give it a try. I would say that was a mistake. It was much too intense for our 4.5 year old. It was actually nearly non-stop intensity. Usually when a movie is intense and my kid expresses a concern, I can tell him to hang in there for a minute or two and it would get better. That is definitely not so with this movie. It seemed to jump from one intense moment to another, with very few non-intense moments in between. We officially left after an hour, but that was after spending 15 minutes in the lobby, taking a break to see if it would be less intense when we returned. It wasn't, so we left. I have said that this movie would be good for 8 and up, but it's hard to say whether that's even accurate. It's weird; it seems like by the time a kid was old enough not to be scared by this movie, s/he probably wouldn't want to watch movie about a bear.

Adult Written byBecky Bob S. January 15, 2018

Sweet entertainment for ALL ages!!

Loved this movie!! Story line was sensitive and caring with excitement and humor. You will fall in love with this polite thoughtful caring little bear. I truley did not want the movie to end. Took 7 kids they all loved it!!! I can't wait till number 3!!..why it's rated of I dont know.

Adult Written byMing M. December 15, 2017

Funny British film starring Hugh Grant

Paddington 2, starring Hugh Grant, is a very funny comedy animation film that is sequel to the film Paddington. There is not much here, but it can be a bit intense at some parts. I highly recommend this movie for 8 years and older.

Adult Written byKelly.Caiazzo January 25, 2018

Some funny bits, but scary plot better for adults (incarceration, loss of family, near drowning)

Wanted to love this, and there were some really funny bits, but my 6 year old almost had to leave the theater because he was scared and anxious. Very adult problems like near drowning, being locked up away from family and feeling forgotten, threats of violence from fellow prisoners... yes, it all ends up ok, but it was an unpleasant movie for my 6 year old to sit through and he didn't enjoy it because there was so much anxiety and tension that it couldn't compensate for the funny bits. Made me wish for kid movies that had kid problems, rather than plots that would be better for adults.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byKaitis1Mom January 14, 2018

Paddington finds the good in everyone

My 9 y/o, my sig other, and I watched Paddington today. Kaiti (9 y/o) didn’t want to leave the theater afterwards. She wanted to see Paddington again! Very sweet, funny movie. Humor is found by both kids and adults. Characters from the original are back, including the Brown family, Mrs Bird, Mr Gruber, Mr Curry, and the man from The Library (where Paddington accidentally sent a baguette thru the pipe and caused a huge crisis on the original movie). They are joined by many new faces throughout the neighborhood and London. I don’t recall any foul language, nothing sexual on screen (an unmarried couple appears fully dressed [in pajamas] at the window at midnight when Mr Curry awakens the neighbors on the Browns’ street). There are very good values shown: the importance of being polite, of friendship, and of never giving up when you set a goal. While you don’t have to have seen the first Paddington to understand the second, previous knowledge of the first movie is helpful, as 2nd doesn’t spend much time getting to know the characters’ personalities. I, also wouldn’t have minded seeing Paddington a second time today, although I do think the original Paddington was better. P2 is definitely worth seeing for anyone who enjoyed the first!

Adult Written byJulie H. January 23, 2018

Best movie of this decade!

Go spend money on this film!!! You will not regret it. I was blown away at the artistry, craftsmanship, and cleverness of this movie! I really liked the first Paddington, but this one far surpasses its original title, in my opinion (and is far less scary for the littles). I have not often seen such a sweet, clean movie done so beautifully as this one. It is equal parts sweet, funny, creative and stirring. I highly recommend this movie. I was so impressed that a cast of such famous and talented actors would make children's movie like this... then I saw the movie and realized that it is not a children's movie. It is definitely for all ages. (To those who felt that Paddington being sent to jail is too scary, you just need to wait for a few more minutes. It is sad, but quickly becomes hilarious. One of the most charming aspects of this movie is that Paddington finds the best in all people, even prisoners. His kindness inspires them become good... great actually). I am so deeply impressed by the innocence and success of this movie. I hope they make loads of money to prove that the world needs is more of this type of storytelling!!! It is refreshing as a parent to have such a high quality movie to take kids to. Enjoy! And spread the word!

Parent Written byEric N. January 15, 2018

A great film for all ages

Although there's really nothing objectionable or scary in the film, those under the age of 4 or 5 are likely to lose interest (although my 3-year old was mesmerized by a few of the sequences and sat more still in the theater than she has for recent animated fare we have seen as a family). The story relies heavily on the importance of good manners, finding the best in people, and caring for those around you. It is excellent in getting these messages across and is simultaneously highly entertaining. Our youngest enjoyed it more than most "family" movies and our three older children loved it. I'm giving it 4 1/2 stars. Stick around for the credits - there's a great scene at the end that wraps up part of the story and may have been one of the funniest scenes of the whole thing.

Adult Written byIATODD January 26, 2018

Wow was it good!

I was willing to take the kids to see P2, but I was not optimistic that it would even be as good as P1, which I thought was cutesy/good but not particularly appealing to adults. But I actually think seeing P2 was about the best experience I've ever had watching a movie (like Schindler's List, but in the exact opposite way). P2 is fun, action-packed, heart-warming, has a good message, clean, easy to follow, well-animated, hilarious, and well-acted. People giving this movie fewer than 4 stars seem to be doing so because their individual children were traumatized, not because of the movie itself. I reckon if you have a hypersensitive child that really really wants to see this movie, you have a choice to make, but I doubt too many kids will be scarred for life from watching P2. I'd say if your kid can handle the traumatic scenes in the movie Up, your kid can handle P2.

Adult Written byMelissa C. January 31, 2018

Inappropriate for young audiences

Age 6+ seems like a pretty big stretch to me after watching the movie today with my 7-year-old. The theme of crimes and punishment, paired with the over-arching themes of theft and mystery were too mature and scary for us. In my opinion, any positive messages of this movie are lost to the tense and frightening scenes. The scary/sad moments of this movie aren’t brief; they are the overwhelming part of the plot throughout, and humor and silliness aren’t present for most of the movie. I feel personally responsible for not better researching the movie independently instead of going with the 6+ recommendation. This was a good lesson for us in being careful about what we allow ourselves to see as my son was frightened by the themes of this film.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bySusana V. January 25, 2018

Funny for the whole family

I enjoy movies truly made for the entire family, and not just movies for little kids that I watch without having any fun or learning anything. My son is pretty sensitive (for example, not Beauty and the Beast in my house) but didn't get scared with this one.

Parent Written byLauren K. January 27, 2018

Absolutely loved it but...

My little one saw it with me and we didn’t stop laughing! It was hilarious and just as good, if not better, than the first one. However my mum took my child to see it again and they have just returned crying because of the poignancy of Aunt Lucy and Paddington nearly coming to harm and being upset. If you don’t dwell on those moments, it’s a gorgeous film. I especially love that each member of the Brown family has a “skill” or hobby. That’s so encouraging.

Parent Written byAngelica76 February 12, 2018

Really Good!

As a parent, I really enjoyed the movie, as did my son. Good family movie.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byN P. February 10, 2018

Great movie for all ages

My 4 year old daughter enjoyed the movie and giggled during the funny parts. My 10 and 12 year old also enjoyed the movie.

Adult Written byAbby M. April 1, 2018

11 year old

I thought it was amazing it was just an awesome idea and a good way of having paddington become friends with his prison mates .

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAmusedPink August 23, 2018

Intense and not for young kids

The movie was recommended to us and we went with a friends family. All the kids were confused and upset when he was sent to prison. The movie while having little violence is way too intense for young kids. Great for adults and older kids with great message.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byAriel C. August 18, 2018

Paddington Gets Out of a Sticky Problem

After the rather delightful, marmalade-heavy original hit back in 2014, it was only a matter of course that a sequel (or two?) would be promptly rustled up in ensuing years. Well, it was worth it. The tone and overall content of Paddington 2 fits like a glove with number one, presenting a different if suitably similar story, complete with new well-cast heroes and villain. Although predominantly a family-centric movie, Paddington 2 poses objections like in subject matter and gravity to its' predecessor - that is, crude comments and an overt New-Age mentality. Mr. Brown practices Yoga (a fact referenced more than once); Jonathan Brown thinks acting "cool" is very important (he later sort of renounces that); Mrs. Brown wants adventure, and is shown in a swimsuit; Mary Brown apparently wanted to become a nun, but according to the narration "got over that"; the Browns visit a fortune-teller at one point, ect. Another awkward episode of cross-dressing involves a villain who dresses as a nun: he is spotted, and is repeatedly referenced as an "attractive nun". A man misunderstands and believes somebody is commenting on his looks when someone says "nice buns". Language is light (blooming, one oh my ***, screw, ect). Peril is at perhaps a new high in this adventure, including near-drowning, a trapeze lady falling to her death, and other general low-impact violence, again, similar to the first Paddington. Apart from the above (along with anything I may have missed!), Paddington 2 is a really fun adventure, popping with bright colours and spirit. It arguably exceeds the first movie, building successfully on the foundations already laid. It's refreshing to see a suitable family-oriented film, in an age of R-rated adult releases.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byVegmum July 12, 2018

Fantastic family film

My 3 year old loved this film, nothing scary in it but the prison folk appear intimidating at first before they befriend Paddington. This is very mild and is actually meant to be funny. This film is great for all ages, adults too!! My 8 year old loved it also.