All parent member reviews for Paranormal Activity 4

Adult Written bydavyborn October 19, 2012

Fourth film in the franchise is weaker than the first and third, better than the second. Not for kids.

It's October again, and the latest film in the franchise that once started off rediculously promising but has now turned into the next Saw franchise (only substantially more profitable, that is) is finally here, with Paranormal Activity 4. Now, before you get the feeling that I disliked this movie, please allow me to elaborate a little bit more so, here. Now, I am a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity films, and I know that this is one of those franchise's that has a vastly seperated legion of followers: The group of people who think that these movies are scary, intense and enjoyable. And than, there is the other group of alternatively polar opposities, who believe that these films are just cheap, messy, badly acted and boring waists of time. Now, despite the fact that, again, I am a moderately big fan of the series, overall, I am still find myself mainly pitted somehwere in the middle, here. I absolutely loved the first entry in the series, because I thoiught that it was an original (for the time, that is), smart and very, very scary, and a very memorable horror film. The second film, I thought, was a relentless dissapointment, with a much limper narrative constructive set, and, the scares just simply didn`t pay off for me in that one. The third one, which of course was last years Paranormal Activity 3, I thought was the best in the franchise, even better than the first film, because it was incredibly creative and imaginative in it`s scares, had the most likable characters yet, and it had a virtually unforgettable (to me, at least) ending that stuck with me for a while. Whew. Now that I got all of that exposition off of my chest, let`s finally just get to it, shall we? Paranormal Acitivty 4 picks up five years after the second film left off, with (spoilers!) Katie killing her sister Kristi, and stealing her son Hunter. Now, five years later, we are introduced to a new set of family bound-characters living in a very nice Neveda suburb. Now, our teenage lead Alex (Kathryn Newton) begins feeling the presence of something evil when the neighbors creepy son comes over to stay with them for a couple of weeks, after his mother ends up in the hospital after an unexplained dilemma that is never really elaborated upon further. Now, Alex spends much of the movies running time just randomly exploring the house and chatting with her boyfriend on skype, via her laptop, which supplies the film with much of it's humor, which is effective. Also relativly well done and effective, is, of course, the relentless sequence of jump scares that will induce shock itno you, but are not terribly effecting or all that memorable. Really, even with the last ten minutes amping up the suspense, I thought that they rushed through it so fast that they barely had any time to actually thoroughly scare us properly, and, as a fact of that, the movie just ends, and you can't help but think to yourself "Is that it?" Still, Paranormal Activity 4 is substantially better than the scond film, if not nearly as good as the first and third films in the series. It still applies a versatile league of characters, some fairly effective tension and scares, relieving humor, and, finally, and rather most surprisingly, some of the best acting of the series, which surprised me. Now, like the other three films in the series, Paranormal Activity 3 is rated R, and should not be seen by any young kids, or, for that matter, even most younger teens who can't hold there suspense very well, so, here we go: The film is wall-to-wall with jump scares, tension and nerve-wracking suspense, but there is actually very little on-screen violence. But, what does occur, includes several sequences such as: A young boy being forcefully held under water in a bathub for an extended period of time, and than be released in a delerious state; a teenager having his neck brutally snapped and his body hidden; a woman being thrust through the air by an unseen entity, and slammed violently onto the ground to her death, face first, and more. Also, there is some moderate sexual references here and there, which include a few implied moments of a teenage boy`s attempts to seduce his sweet and rather innocent young girlfriend, but this never goes anywhere. And, finally, there is about as much profanity as there was in the third film, and that was also on the tamer side of the franchise`s profanity count, but, still, there are several uses each of f--k, sh-t, h-ll, g-dd-mn, jesus, c-ck and more. Alsoo, finally, Paranormal Activity 4 may not be the best film in the series, by a long shot, but, for what it is, it is a reasonably fun enough horror film, and a decently good time at the movies. Reccomended.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 April 14, 2013

dissapointing

The movie is violent and has some scares. There is a lot of adult language frequently and product placement is clearly visible in more than one scene. The movie is okay and a one time watch. The franchise should just stop by now. Its not worth your time.
Parent Written byJackHolmes507 October 29, 2013

This film is very good and offers great scares not suitable for anyone under 12

This film is a very scary film which offers many big scares. The film is not gory at all and simply is just supernatural. If youre son/daughter is afraid of the dark already this is not their film your better of watching something like the poltergeist which is mildy scary. The ending is the most scariest bit of the movie and the rest is just creepy. Their is nothing too extreme it says the f word and the s word once and thats about this nut the film is very scary. If you are planning to watch it i suggest watch it in the day. Also pay very close attention to the background because you can see things like a boy standing their.
Parent Written byOh1oBuckeyes October 20, 2012

It's good even though the rating is R

I'm a parent myself, and my 13 year old boy wanted to see this movie. It's a good movie, the only thing you have to look out for is the language. A teenager boy says "f**k" and "sh*t" but it is only a couple of times and it really is only from him, more minor language is "hell" and "ass". I let my son see it, first of all I am with him during the movie and I know he is mature enough to see it. It all really depends on the child in lots of the cases, if they are mature enough to watch/hear it. My boy hears it at school and the language is really only get worse while they grow up. So it depends on the parent and child; Though he/she should be at least 13+ in my opinion.
Parent of a 6, 15, 15, and 17 year old Written by79awesome August 27, 2013

Great film

Not that scary but really good not really for tweens but for teens 14 up yes edgy 13 but recommended for 14 and up
Parent Written byFarhan Ishraq saif May 11, 2013

NOT HAPPY WITH THE MOVIE AT ALL

i think the move is not good at all cause no one survives in there everyone dies except the kids and the bad guys lives -_- um really pissed off the move maker didn't let anyone survive in this story btw non of those r true cause they cannot be caught up in real life camera they wont show them selves cause god has forbidden them not to show them selves so no one should try to contact them at all next don't piss me off with this no survives movie :) .
Parent Written byDarkCabaret October 20, 2012

Not Worth It ..... Seriously.

This movie was awful. I got a free ticket from a friend and we were super excited to see it! We love scary movies but this one was not worth it. I almost want a refund on my free ticket. There was quite a bit of foul language moreso than the other 3. It was all based on a teenage girl who did the recordings on impulse. She didn't have any real basis to do recordings. Most of the "scary" parts were predictable and not even scary. The cat jumping into the shot only made me and my friends jump because it startled us. Much like the rest of the film. We walked out of the theatre at the end saying it was not scary and not worth the $10 bucks to go see. So in my opinion this is a film I will only buy on dvd when it hits the $5 rack at Wal-Mart and I'll only buy so I have it in the collection. Seriously do not waste your money.
Parent Written bySha_nay_nay_ July 14, 2013

Great family movie yo

I think the girl is a good role model cause if you have a successful sister just take her kid and turn into a demon.... Then it's ok Peace out Eagle Scout ✌