Kid reviews for ParaNorman

Cool-but-creepy monster flick is too scary for little kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieLover24 March 7, 2013

I was shocked by the inappropriate content!

I have to say that this movie REALLY shocked me! I was disturbed by the amount of sexual content as it is a movie directed towards younger audiences. The first couple of minutes into the film the mom asks the boy what he was watching and he says "sex and violence". I didn't think I heard correctly so I actually re winded back and saw that that was really what he said! Many of the female characters also have curvy bodies. The teenage girl is swooning over boys and unzips her sweater a little when she meets a shirtless guy. Use of "jacka****" and "damnation" and "hell". There s a part where a boy makes a comment about going to an adult video store and that may fly over the heads of younger children-but I still think it was highly inappropriate. A boy pauses at a scene in a aerobics video of a woman who is positioned in an odd way. When the main character hides under a bed so the zombies won't see him a zombie comes over and something falls out from between his legs and he reaches the for it and puts it back into place-I had no clue what it was at first and I am still not 100% sure but if it is what I think it was then it is certainly not appropriate. The zombies look at a billboard that is an advertisement for a casino and there is a woman who is scantily clad. She also has paper money in between her breasts. One of the zombies looks wide eyed when he notices that. Speaking of breasts, a bully (bullying is also an issue in the film) asks a boy about his "boobs". In the end a male character reveals that he is gay by telling a girl (who has been basically in love with him throughout the movie) that she should meet his boyfriend. I saw all comments about people who were getting mad about all the criticism that people were expressing towards the presence of homosexuality in the film. But I have to say that as this is a film directed towards children I felt that it was out of place. So I think its natural for parents to feel as though it was an unnecessary confession as they may not feel comfortable exposing their children to such content yet. Overall, this movie is NOT for young children!

Teen, 16 years old Written byhockeyguy August 18, 2012

Have You Seen Ghosts Before?

Last Night, me and my buddies went to see Paranorman because my little sister didn't want to see it. I'm glad she didn't because this really pushed the limit of a PG rating. There is some mild language and some sexual innduendo but there is no sex. It will scare younger kids and maybe even pre-teens like me. It being from the makers of Coraline (2009), this is much more scarier. But I think pre-teens can handle it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byremyclare March 10, 2016

Wow parents...wow...

I went through the parent reviews and was extremely disappointed by all the homophobia I saw. This movie is PG. PARENTAL GUIDANCE RECOMMENDED. Yeah it was scary and sexual for younger kids, that's why it's not G.
Anyways back to the homophobia. It was literally mentioned ONCE that Mitch is gay. Not enough in my opinion. It should have been more prominent. You claim to be accepting of homosexuality, but not allowing your kids to see homosexuality on television sounds pretty homophobic to me. Homosexuality shouldn't be difficult for kids to understand, and it doesn't need to be censored or some huge discussion about it. The best way to teach your kids acceptance is to expose them to all kinds of people at a young age. If I ever have kids you bet your ass I'm going to raise them around gay and straight couples alike (but I feel that growing up with two moms will be enough for them to understand that love is limitless). Trust me. Your kids more than likely won't be confused or scarred in some way by knowing that people are gay. It's love. It's not a difficult thing to understand.
I read in one review that there was too much bullying in the beginning. Guess what bullying is a real issue and kids need to know that. You can't wrap them in bubble wrap their whole childhood and then release them into the world as close minded and ignorant bigots. You have to expose them to stuff like this so they grow up to be well rounded and friendly people.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 April 11, 2014

Terrible movie

What a terrible movie, I was not impressed at all. It is really cheesy and easy for kids the age of seven can handle.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2013

Horrible

This is an insult to classic zombie films, skip it.

Kid, 10 years old December 24, 2012

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found this film soooooooooooo boring that I fell asleep!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu December 13, 2012

Epic Fail

See, this is what these people are interested in. This is garbage, kids enjoy this crap so much because guess what, IT HAS ZOMBIES, Can't elementary school kids focus on anything else than zombies? They will soon realize THEY ARE FAKE!!!!
Kid, 10 years old November 19, 2012

Worse kid's movie I've seen in a very long time!

The character's were UGLY—the teacher looked like she had worms in her face—and stereotypical—the misunderstood boy, his fat friend, the bully, the flighty sister, the father who doesn't get him, the ineffectual mother, the crazy pilgrims witch hunters, and, of course the innocent, misunderstood non-witch—who somehow has the power to curse the entire town—how does that work?! The plot was Flat and CLICHÉ, CLICHÉ, CLICHÉ!!! And I couldn't decide who the film was aimed at—the animation appealed to children but so much of it was inappropriate. The parents were child-services candidates: "What are you watching?" "Sex and violence." "Oh, OK"; the middle school bully says "why we're stuck in a library when there's an adult book store across the street" and my favorite—the teenage hero says his BOYFRIEND is into…" Really? Can't they make ANYTHING anymore without a nod to the gay lifestyle? Not even an animated kid's movie? Unfortunately, the theater was full of little 4-5 year-olds who didn't need to see or hear all of this. I would not recommend this to ANYONE, young or old! Thank goodness I went to a discount movie theater—I'd have been really angry if I'd wasted full price for this.

Teen, 16 years old Written byimminentCataclysm October 7, 2012

ATTENTION ALL PARENTS

I am so deeply disappointed in all of the parent reviews I have seen for this movie, all concerning the same issue, concerning the simple comment of "I'll go if I can bring my boyfriend." , which was said by another male character. I myself have not even seen this movie, but I saw these comments and felt so obligated to write a message to you all that I created this account and everything.

Ok, I'm seeing comments such as "I don't want to hear about who's having SEX with who!" .Excuse me? All the person said was that he wanted his boyfriend to go to the movie. That's it. You are assuming that he has sexual intercourse with this person just because he is gay. And if you say that is not why, then you are quite blind and are lying to yourself. If it had been a girl who said it, you would have thought nothing of it. Or if he had said "If my girlfriend can go." . If he had said that, you would have thought nothing of it except it being cute and sweet. But because he has relations with another male character, your ignorant mind automatically assumes that they have sex. That is sad. It sickens me to see how close-minded you all are. Yes, I know, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But to jump to a conclusion such as that, and act so disgusted by it? You all are the ones who need to do the growing up. You can't accept something different. Face it, your children are going to see gay couples together in real life, whether you like it or not. My question to you is: What will you do if your child tells you that they are in love with a person of the same sex? Are you going to treat them like you are treating this character? Are you going to automatically assume that they are having a ton of "gay-sex"? Will you disown them because of it? Through what I have seen of you all, the answer is yes. And that is heartbreaking. You have no objections to the sexual innuendos in other movies set towards a young audience, because those ones involve a heterosexual couple. It is not your children who need to be mature to see this, it is you.

I am proud of the writers of this movie. They knew there were going to be closed-minded ignorant anti-gay-marriage-fanatics such as yourselves seeing this movie, and they still put that in there.

I applaud you, ParaNorman writers, you did something you knew would bring up such needless controversial response. You also, from my knowledge of the film ,showed how even "outcasts" are something great, and can find good friends.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySol9000 September 15, 2012

Surprisingly, The Violence is actually tame compared to other factors

Let's talk quality first:
I felt irritated throughout the entire film, except for the ending. Why would you ask? Maybe it has something to do with the fowl relationship that is the movie's target audience and who it's appropriate for.

I recommend you keep the Kids away from this because of a surprising injection of Language and Suggestive Themes. Happy Now, CoD Fans? Not only has the violence of that Video Game cause a Plague in that industry, but now the plague has spilled into the movie industry as well! And the side-effect of this plague is that because there's so much violence, Language and Suggestive Themes HAVE To get the boot or blockbuster titles would be X-Rated! What's next, Books--? Oh, wait, that already happened.

And Adults sure won't like the film either. It's all just people running around, out of their minds, and zombies being their chew toy. Yes, you heard correctly: The protagonists are even WORSE then the "antagonists"! The witch? Pfft! Protagonist at the end. Now, this would all be fine and dandy, if the message it was trying to teach required it, but no! It's simply "Don't be a bully" and while we need films to start saying this, this film's message and plot don't add up!

Character Development? Oh no, the main protagonist is the same quality (as a human being) from beginning to end. The only difference is that afterword, he gets respect for his actions.

*Claps Slowly* Bravo, ParaNorman. You actually managed to disappoint me even though my expectations couldn't possibly be lower.

And You know what I hate the most? Parents are saying this is a-okay FOR FOUR-YEAR-OLDS!

Oh, look at Starprince! Being Edgy and Homophobic for attention! /sarcasm you give people who hate this film a bad name.
Same goes for Et23, only just Homophobic. |:-|

you know what? See the film. See it and disappoint yourself like I did... Knew I should've went to see the Odd Life of Timothy Green instead of this. If you'll excuse me, I'll be out watching Iron Giant. You know, A GOOD MOVIE!

Teen, 16 years old Written byParceledTongue August 18, 2012

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

As soon as I saw this film, I knew I would see people whining about the gay character. Oh, how I long to live in an age where it's no longer an issue for someone to drop a SINGLE LINE about the fact that they are gay. Any parents who felt the line was "inappropriate" are not fit to raise children, and any children who felt the same have had their minds poisoned by such ignorant parents.

Now that my rant is out of the way, this was a highly entertaining film. Its tone is not nearly as dark as that of Coraline, but there may be more objectionable content on a surface level here. Zombies may scare younger or more sensitive kids, but they are ultimately revealed to be harmless. Body parts fall off, but it's all comical and no blood or gore are shown. You can see the language used in the CSM summary. Norman's sister is comically curvy. Messages are positive all around, with themes of forgiveness and the dangers of bullying.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLaikastudioslover May 22, 2020

ParaNoran is a must watch

ParaNorman is 2012 stop motion animated film produced by Laika Studios (the people that made Coraline) This movie is pretty good. I really like how it takes place in present time and not in like the 19 hundreds or something. I really like the characters, the comedy , the "scary" parts, and the stop motion. This movie is amazingly done just like Coraline and Kubo and Boxtrolls and Missing Link (Stop motion wise Missing Link is better, story wise, Coraline and Kubo is better.) ParaNorman is a really good movie. I like how its a zombie movie and I don' t really see and zombie movies that are for children. This movie did it amazingly by making it child appropriet and making it scaryish for kids too. This movie has funny parts which I like. It does have one swearish word: jackass. Which I don't think this word counts, but I know Karens will overreact and try to make their 5 year olds life a living hell. But I am not a child of a Karen so I do not know how they feel. This movie does deserve more because it IS so different. If this was like a stupid Disney movie I would really get upset. Thats the thing with Laika Studios. It's NOT Disney and it does put scary parts in their movies to show that not everything has a happy ending. Take ParaNorman for example, (SPOILER ALERT) If it where put to Disney they would probably bring everyone to life including Aggie but that gladly didn't happen. Aggie (the evil witch who put the curse on the town) is pretty scary for little kids and she does hurt Norman (the main chatacter that can talk to ghousts) but then their is always a happyish ending at Laika. Norman sets aggie free and the zombies so Aggie could not longer suffer. That is really the "happy ending" of ParaNorman. This movie is scary, and thats why I love it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byOleander May 8, 2020

Oh some of you guys need to grow up

Literally, some of you guys need to stop coddling your children. I agree that some of the bad words and sexual jokes would be a bit too much for some kids, but honestly cuss words are not that big of a deal. It's a classic movie, great for a Halloween movie night. I HIGHLY recommend watching it. Also, to all of the people getting upset over the mentions of homosexuality, grow up. If seeing this movie as a kid, I would've come to accept my sexuality a long time ago, I would've seen it as a normal thing. It would've taught me that it's okay to love who you want to. Kids should learn to accept homosexuality as a normal thing, and shielding them from it won't help them.

Kid, 8 years old March 13, 2020

HOW DID THIS GET AWAY WITH A FLIPPING *PG* RATING? HUH? LOL *LOL* LOL

Parents- please be aware that ParaNorman is *very* scary, and I dont recommend single watching to anyone under 12. Its follows the story of a young kid who can communicate with the dead, and then all of a sudden becomes responsible for saving his town from a zombie apocalypse/ invasion. It is *very* creepy and creepy and indeed freaky, but, just like csm says, great and cool. Totally yes very yes indeed cool-but-creepy, TOOO creepy in fact maybe. There is some mild language and strong edgy innuendo. A great movie, though. Certainly, 12 and up. 12+

Teen, 14 years old Written bylafrancophile January 31, 2020

There's awesome creepy - and then there's CREEPY creepy.

Don't get me wrong, I love sinister scary movies. The trouble is that this isn't just sinister, it's downright HORRIFIC. Not so much because of the scariness, that's okay, but just because it's unbelievably gory. The zombies have bits of rotten flesh dropping off them and there is one scene with a ghost dog that I don't like to describe. It's like Slinky from Toy Story, except... eew. Also there is a scene with a road-kill raccoon but I think it's more cute than scary.
However, I do think it's hilarious when the zombie bellows "BRAINS!!"

Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2020

Oh...My...Gosh!!

This film...Is just...Wow...By the sounds of it such for a PG more like a 12!!! Few Inappropriate words in this "kids" film and Flirting and Sexual sayings!!!! HOW IS THIS A PG!!!??? THIS SHOULD BE A 12!!!!!! for a animation...this shocked me

Teen, 16 years old Written byVitani Pajama January 1, 2020

Little inappropriate

It has sex and it says swear words like hell, damnation, and jackass, and clit licker. The characters are uglier than sin but I actually love grotesque art.

Teen, 17 years old Written byAbyss Watcher November 24, 2019

Excellent, one of the greatest endings in animation.

Can I just preface this by saying how dissapointed I am by all the homophobia back in the parental reviews. We shouldn't still be arguing about this. Some people are gay. Get over it. They mention it once in the movie as a fairly offhand comment at the end.

With that out of the way, there is one part of the movie that deserves serious praise. The ending. I won't go into spoiler territory but it is a monster tearjerker and preaches forgiveness and empathy and I love it so much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byClockworkDollsWithin August 4, 2019

Pretty dark- That's why I like it!

There's a pretty big twist to this story and dang is it worth getting to. Pretty creepy though, don't show this to super young kids.
Kid, 10 years old July 8, 2019

Great Movie, Not That Scary.

I watched this on a plane as a young kid. I LOVED it. There weren't many scary bits although there was a bit of "violence" there was no gore. I would recommend this movie.