All teen and kid member reviews for ParaNorman

Teen, 16 years old Written byimminentCataclysm October 7, 2012

ATTENTION ALL PARENTS

I am so deeply disappointed in all of the parent reviews I have seen for this movie, all concerning the same issue, concerning the simple comment of "I'll go if I can bring my boyfriend." , which was said by another male character. I myself have not even seen this movie, but I saw these comments and felt so obligated to write a message to you all that I created this account and everything. Ok, I'm seeing comments such as "I don't want to hear about who's having SEX with who!" .Excuse me? All the person said was that he wanted his boyfriend to go to the movie. That's it. You are assuming that he has sexual intercourse with this person just because he is gay. And if you say that is not why, then you are quite blind and are lying to yourself. If it had been a girl who said it, you would have thought nothing of it. Or if he had said "If my girlfriend can go." . If he had said that, you would have thought nothing of it except it being cute and sweet. But because he has relations with another male character, your ignorant mind automatically assumes that they have sex. That is sad. It sickens me to see how close-minded you all are. Yes, I know, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But to jump to a conclusion such as that, and act so disgusted by it? You all are the ones who need to do the growing up. You can't accept something different. Face it, your children are going to see gay couples together in real life, whether you like it or not. My question to you is: What will you do if your child tells you that they are in love with a person of the same sex? Are you going to treat them like you are treating this character? Are you going to automatically assume that they are having a ton of "gay-sex"? Will you disown them because of it? Through what I have seen of you all, the answer is yes. And that is heartbreaking. You have no objections to the sexual innuendos in other movies set towards a young audience, because those ones involve a heterosexual couple. It is not your children who need to be mature to see this, it is you. I am proud of the writers of this movie. They knew there were going to be closed-minded ignorant anti-gay-marriage-fanatics such as yourselves seeing this movie, and they still put that in there. I applaud you, ParaNorman writers, you did something you knew would bring up such needless controversial response. You also, from my knowledge of the film ,showed how even "outcasts" are something great, and can find good friends.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieLover24 March 7, 2013

I was shocked by the inappropriate content!

I have to say that this movie REALLY shocked me! I was disturbed by the amount of sexual content as it is a movie directed towards younger audiences. The first couple of minutes into the film the mom asks the boy what he was watching and he says "sex and violence". I didn't think I heard correctly so I actually re winded back and saw that that was really what he said! Many of the female characters also have curvy bodies. The teenage girl is swooning over boys and unzips her sweater a little when she meets a shirtless guy. Use of "jacka****" and "damnation" and "hell". There s a part where a boy makes a comment about going to an adult video store and that may fly over the heads of younger children-but I still think it was highly inappropriate. A boy pauses at a scene in a aerobics video of a woman who is positioned in an odd way. When the main character hides under a bed so the zombies won't see him a zombie comes over and something falls out from between his legs and he reaches the for it and puts it back into place-I had no clue what it was at first and I am still not 100% sure but if it is what I think it was then it is certainly not appropriate. The zombies look at a billboard that is an advertisement for a casino and there is a woman who is scantily clad. She also has paper money in between her breasts. One of the zombies looks wide eyed when he notices that. Speaking of breasts, a bully (bullying is also an issue in the film) asks a boy about his "boobs". In the end a male character reveals that he is gay by telling a girl (who has been basically in love with him throughout the movie) that she should meet his boyfriend. I saw all comments about people who were getting mad about all the criticism that people were expressing towards the presence of homosexuality in the film. But I have to say that as this is a film directed towards children I felt that it was out of place. So I think its natural for parents to feel as though it was an unnecessary confession as they may not feel comfortable exposing their children to such content yet. Overall, this movie is NOT for young children!
Teen, 16 years old Written byParceledTongue August 18, 2012

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

As soon as I saw this film, I knew I would see people whining about the gay character. Oh, how I long to live in an age where it's no longer an issue for someone to drop a SINGLE LINE about the fact that they are gay. Any parents who felt the line was "inappropriate" are not fit to raise children, and any children who felt the same have had their minds poisoned by such ignorant parents. Now that my rant is out of the way, this was a highly entertaining film. Its tone is not nearly as dark as that of Coraline, but there may be more objectionable content on a surface level here. Zombies may scare younger or more sensitive kids, but they are ultimately revealed to be harmless. Body parts fall off, but it's all comical and no blood or gore are shown. You can see the language used in the CSM summary. Norman's sister is comically curvy. Messages are positive all around, with themes of forgiveness and the dangers of bullying.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySwiftbeanz August 5, 2014

Paraline (You Now What I Mean ;))

All I have to say is Coraline and Norman should get married P.S. Zing P.P.S I Hate them both!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2013

SEXY STUFF AND VIOLENCE

(NORMAN AND CORALINE SITTING IN A TREE K-I-S-S-I-N-G FIRST COMES ZING THEN COMES GHOST OH YEAH THEN MARRIAGE TO THEN A UM SHOWER AND A BABY SHOWER).
Kid, 10 years old November 19, 2012

Worse kid's movie I've seen in a very long time!

The character's were UGLY—the teacher looked like she had worms in her face—and stereotypical—the misunderstood boy, his fat friend, the bully, the flighty sister, the father who doesn't get him, the ineffectual mother, the crazy pilgrims witch hunters, and, of course the innocent, misunderstood non-witch—who somehow has the power to curse the entire town—how does that work?! The plot was Flat and CLICHÉ, CLICHÉ, CLICHÉ!!! And I couldn't decide who the film was aimed at—the animation appealed to children but so much of it was inappropriate. The parents were child-services candidates: "What are you watching?" "Sex and violence." "Oh, OK"; the middle school bully says "why we're stuck in a library when there's an adult book store across the street" and my favorite—the teenage hero says his BOYFRIEND is into…" Really? Can't they make ANYTHING anymore without a nod to the gay lifestyle? Not even an animated kid's movie? Unfortunately, the theater was full of little 4-5 year-olds who didn't need to see or hear all of this. I would not recommend this to ANYONE, young or old! Thank goodness I went to a discount movie theater—I'd have been really angry if I'd wasted full price for this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byWwerobert1995 August 17, 2012

Depends if the kid can handle it

Iffy for 6 because it will probably scare younger
Teen, 17 years old Written byHannah Bean November 1, 2014

News Flash- Gay People Exist!

Okay, so there was one overwhelming thing that stood out to me when I read the parent reviews. People were horrified that the jock at the end turned out to be gay. Okay, guys, there's something I need to tell you. You might want to sit down. Are you sitting down? Yes? Okay: There are gay people on the planet. Yeah, I know, shocking. There are also people who are bi, pan, asexual, aromantic, transgendered, but I honestly don't think half the adults on this website are mature enough to think about that- you all would rather stuff your fingers in your ears and pretend they don't exist. But that doesn't mean your kids should. There is no "homosexual agenda." This is barely even a reference to homosexuality, it's just showing that these people EXIST. If you're really that disturbed by that, then you have the problem, not the movie. (Also, this mention of having a boyfriend isn't going to make your kids question how gay sex works, any more than a girl mentioning her boyfriend would make them ask how they have sex. If that's their line of thought, something's very, very wrong.) Now, it should be worth mentioning that this movie has some scary elements, and a bit of language and crude humor. As a little kid, I was kinda sensitive, and this would have been a movie I would have steered away from, for the visuals. I grew into a big fan of zombies and horror, though, and I have to say, this movie is wonderful. There's a surprising, and surprisingly heartfelt twist at the end concerning who the witch really is, and a strong message about the harm of bullying throughout the film. There was some questionable stuff, sure, like swearing and the like, but I can't say it's anything a mature 10 year old can't handle. The only thing I remember being really annoyed at was when one character smacks a girl's butt, and she yells at him, because I didn't really think the point got across that that wasn't an okay thing to do. And, as said before, there's some swearing and some definite scary images, but nothing a kid couldn't handle. Kids are more intelligent than we give them credit for, and I really do think they'll be able to comprehend and understand this movie, and appreciate it. And, apparently, they're more compassionate than their parents, too. So, again, maybe not for the more squeamish, but the animation is astounding, and the plot and dialogue is surprisingly intelligent and funny- highly recommended.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 April 11, 2014

Terrible movie

What a terrible movie, I was not impressed at all. It is really cheesy and easy for kids the age of seven can handle.
Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2013

Great movie, not good for young kids.

This is a great and well made movie. It's nothing new- Zombie Apocalypse, kid can speak to the dead, but the graphics and voices are amazing. It is also really funny, and I found by self laughing several times during the movie. However, there is some language, but nothing worse than a** and boobs. At the end of the movie, a male character is revealed to be homosexual. Now, I have nothing against homosexuality, but I really don't like the way they made a joke out of it. There are positive messages about being who you are and teamwork. Some children may find scenes with ghosts and zombies frightening. The content in this movie is nothing a tween hasn't seen before, but it definitely pushes the limits of a PG movie.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2013

Horrible

This is an insult to classic zombie films, skip it.
Kid, 10 years old December 24, 2012

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found this film soooooooooooo boring that I fell asleep!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu December 13, 2012

Epic Fail

See, this is what these people are interested in. This is garbage, kids enjoy this crap so much because guess what, IT HAS ZOMBIES, Can't elementary school kids focus on anything else than zombies? They will soon realize THEY ARE FAKE!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySol9000 September 15, 2012

Surprisingly, The Violence is actually tame compared to other factors

Let's talk quality first: I felt irritated throughout the entire film, except for the ending. Why would you ask? Maybe it has something to do with the fowl relationship that is the movie's target audience and who it's appropriate for. I recommend you keep the Kids away from this because of a surprising injection of Language and Suggestive Themes. Happy Now, CoD Fans? Not only has the violence of that Video Game cause a Plague in that industry, but now the plague has spilled into the movie industry as well! And the side-effect of this plague is that because there's so much violence, Language and Suggestive Themes HAVE To get the boot or blockbuster titles would be X-Rated! What's next, Books--? Oh, wait, that already happened. And Adults sure won't like the film either. It's all just people running around, out of their minds, and zombies being their chew toy. Yes, you heard correctly: The protagonists are even WORSE then the "antagonists"! The witch? Pfft! Protagonist at the end. Now, this would all be fine and dandy, if the message it was trying to teach required it, but no! It's simply "Don't be a bully" and while we need films to start saying this, this film's message and plot don't add up! Character Development? Oh no, the main protagonist is the same quality (as a human being) from beginning to end. The only difference is that afterword, he gets respect for his actions. *Claps Slowly* Bravo, ParaNorman. You actually managed to disappoint me even though my expectations couldn't possibly be lower. And You know what I hate the most? Parents are saying this is a-okay FOR FOUR-YEAR-OLDS! Oh, look at Starprince! Being Edgy and Homophobic for attention! /sarcasm you give people who hate this film a bad name. Same goes for Et23, only just Homophobic. |:-| you know what? See the film. See it and disappoint yourself like I did... Knew I should've went to see the Odd Life of Timothy Green instead of this. If you'll excuse me, I'll be out watching Iron Giant. You know, A GOOD MOVIE!
Kid, 10 years old August 18, 2012

***** (five stars)

This movie was good. So good, it put a lot of movies to shame. :) Words like H*ll and Norman says S*x in the beginning are used. Nothing bad. The zombies are not scary at all. The funniest part had to be when Mitch says, "Great. My boyfriend love chick flicks. HAHA! Go see it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byhockeyguy August 18, 2012

Have You Seen Ghosts Before?

Last Night, me and my buddies went to see Paranorman because my little sister didn't want to see it. I'm glad she didn't because this really pushed the limit of a PG rating. There is some mild language and some sexual innduendo but there is no sex. It will scare younger kids and maybe even pre-teens like me. It being from the makers of Coraline (2009), this is much more scarier. But I think pre-teens can handle it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRedsox1995 August 17, 2012

Scary but not that scary

I think most kids could handle it
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2012

Not that Scary

It is going to be as scary as Coraline and the jump scenes level are going to be very high. Coraline focused on releasing psychological terror and yet it was a kids' movie. This is going to have more comedy than horror. But this will have more jump scares, so if you have kids that are sensitive to them (like me), I suggest you go to Blockbuster and rent Coraline. That is very scary too but apparently a lot of kids can handle it and enjoy it. *UPDATE* 8/18/12 I have now seen the movie and I will just say that it is not as scary as Coraline - AT ALL. Coraline will give me nightmares for 1 month if I watch it the 10th time or something, and this movie, the 1st time I watch it, I won't have nightmares about it for even a second. Sure, there are jumpy scenes, but still, it lacks that genuine and extreme terror that Coraline had. This one had so much more humor (Coraline was very serious) and this one doesn't actually relate to real life (much of the terror in Coraline was how it actually related to real life, the whole process of abducting children). That being said, this was a very good movie. It had emotion in it, which Coraline lacked, and the stop-motion animation was still fresh, clear, and showed a lot of effort. The humor level was from light laughs to bursting. The screenplay was pretty okay, I guess. Now on to the parental review. In the end, there are strong positive messages. It will probably have an impact on most people. Good role models are present. There is a moderate amount of violence present, with zombies attacking the town and stuff like that. There are about 2 jump scenes. Some children may be scared of some villains. There is also some disturbing/scary imagery. There is some suggestive humor, most of it is implied. There are some mild obscenities and a parent sitting next to me gasped at some obscenities. In one scene, you can clearly see a man that looks messed up that grabs a lot of pills and pops them in his mouth, but that is not a main point of the scene at all. Overall, I suggest you watch this. It should be less scary than Coraline for your kids and a great start for watching horror movies.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLhopen August 18, 2016

NOT a kids movie!

This movie is surprisingly VERY inappropriate and pushes the PG limits. I was very disturbed by the content they added. A character is gay (nothing is shown). Some sexual references. Maybe okay for some teens but not for kids!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThunderBoy May 28, 2016

Some Language

This is a great family movie, especially around Halloween. I did notice some language such as "hell" and "jackass". Other than that it is a great movie to watch with family and friends.