Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Paul, Apostle of Christ

Biblical drama has bloody violence, lacks depth.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byJared M. March 26, 2018

don't listen to hostile critics who dislike religion

Best Christian movie of past 10 years. Those critics who bothered, or who were given an opportunity to review the latest faith-based movie Paul, Apostle of Christ, dumped all over it at a 75 percent rate; the audience score, however, is a healthy 93 percent approval, according to Rotten Tomatoes. I'm a biblical scholar of 40 years. This movie is 100% accurate. If you like the bible, you'll like the movie. and vice versa
Adult Written byJohn R. March 23, 2018

It's the story of Christianity in every generation!

This very true-to-life and true-to-Scripture presentation should leave every Christian examining the true depth of their own faith, the grace of God and the reality of persecution of the Church through 20 centuries. This is a historical movie to encourage and challenge millions!

Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byWendy S. March 24, 2018

Not exactly scriptural...

There were things about this movie that I liked... the premise was clear - show the church and specifically the transformation of Paul - post Jesus. Other reviews have scoffed at the quoting of scripture and I disagree. It was a highlight for me to hear the Biblical text quoted verbatim. The juxtaposition of the evil in Rome vs the quiet confidence of the Christian was well demonstrated. Where I found this story lacking is in the believability factor. Paul is in prison yet he’s escorted through the gardens with the Prefect? Luke is an enemy of the Emperor, yet he’s allowed to enter the prison multiple times without consequences. The accuracy of how the end of Paul’s life was portrayed didn’t exactly match the Bible. Cinematic license I guess. Overall, I found the story somewhat jumbled, a bit slow in parts, and quite violent.

Adult Written byDorothy W. March 26, 2018

Slow but deep

The movie was very well acted. I didn't have a moment where I thought "hehe this is cheesy" like I do with almost all Christian movies where the acting is "meh" or the themes are too heavy handed or the cinematography is outdated. It isn't full of action or a complicated plot. Just a glimpse into the time of the early Church. Two themes should shake up your heart and bring you to prayer during this movie. The first is the theme of love in response to true evil and hate. Our culture needs (!!!!!!!) this message today. We need this message today!!!! Our children, who will likely face persecution for their faith in their lifetime, need this message today. Secondly, the tension between Priscilla and Aquila is a question that parents must be constantly asking themselves... the tension is between being missionary, caring radically for the poor, and sharing the faith and also wanting to protect and provide for our own family first.

Parent Written byJennifer R. March 28, 2018

Surprised in a good way

Our family went with a group to watch. I had not seen any previews and was really not sure what to expect. Although we actually see more of Luke than Paul I thought the film was well done. It seems to give a gritty but realistic version of Paul's last days (with some flash backs) and the persecution of early Christians. I loved Priscilla and Aquilla (you remember them from the Bible right?) and the role they play. Shows their doubts and struggles with the early church in Rome but most importantly their conviction. There are some intense scenes that you may want to evaluate if you take any children. My kids (9,12 and 14) did fine.
Adult Written byMark S. March 27, 2018

Fails on so many levels including Bible theology

This movie fails where it ought to shine, namely, in the theology. This mythical Paul isn't what the scriptural Paul was, namely a positive advocate of Christ and his mission. In this dark movie, Paul has many painful flashbacks of his Saul of Tarsis day that murdered Christians, and is plagued by the dead he sent to early graves including Stephen and a young girl. And during the movie this inaccurate Paul constantly says there's enough Grace of Christ for all of us. Yet, there isn't enough Grace for Paul, for despite him having a wonderful conversion to Christ's Good News (Gospel) that when you seek forgiveness Christ will forgive and though your sins be as scarlet they will be white as snow. Paul did gain forgiveness and Christ's mercy forgave Paul so it was as if he had never sinned -- "I'll remember them no more." So this Paul is nothing like the joyous Paul who rejoices in Grace that forgave him. On top of that, nothing in the movie speaks to the wonders of being a Christian. Instead these Christians in Rome only have fear...no peace any more than Paul has peace. Instead they talk with gloom and doom. Christianity is all about hope and love. The one chance to have Christian influence is when Luke is called on to save the Roman's child from certain death. Yes, Luke saves her, but only through his skill. His esteemed faith has nothing to do with this and he leaves no faith at the doorsteps of the pagan Roman. What a blown opportunity of a movie.

Adult Written byDarren F. March 24, 2018

Great acting, must see

Great movie that tells the story of the early church and the struggles they faced. Both lead actors give a compelling performance.

Adult Written byTricia J. March 27, 2018
The message is important and the significant historical story true to the last detail. If you want to know the details of how Paul shared his important message of love , and how the Romans could not keep the Christians down, this is a fantastic film. Unfortunately critics don't like religious films , and this movie is not immune to critics anti-religion views. They just don't want to like anything pro-Jesus. The acting is superb, any other subject matter this movie would be off the charts.

Adult Written byAmit K. March 26, 2018

A beautiful movie

A great movie about the fate of Christianity and the early church. A history which is forgotten. Every Christian has to know about the church history and thankful be to the Lord for His protection then and today. A story which might happen again in future for the true church of Jesus Christ.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTom S. March 27, 2018

The Gospel Truth Suffers

This may not be a great movie. But there is greatness within. That greatness is the truth played out on a stage in a time of Roman Brutality, especially by Nero who falsely blamed Christians for a fire he probably started himself. The Gospel (good news) message from God has been under attack ever since Jesus came on board for his God planned sacrifice. This life saving good news is under attack even today. If the dark side of our government ever takes full control, Christians may face the same brutality as did the new converts in AD 67. This movie attempt lays the truth out accurately but the message suffers due to poor sound quality and an average to below average production value. If I did not personally know the New Testament Scriptures as I do, I might have missed how the story kept switching back to Paul as Saul of Tarsus who made war on the new church following the spread of the gospel after the church was born on feast of Pentecost. Here the writer fails to keep a steady flow of the story and it might be overwhelmingly confusing to those with little knowledge of the book of Acts in the New Testament written by the "beloved physician", Luke played admirably by Jim Caviezel. Luke, a Greek, was brought to Christ by the preaching of Paul after he shed the name Saul based on a divine appearance while on the road to Damascus. As scripture tells us, and also in the movie, a strong light and sound knocked Saul to the ground as Jesus spoke to him to stop resisitng and f ollow him. Here, the movie might have used a bit more CG technique in retelling this event. However, the scenethat follows where Ananias comes to pray for Saul to be healed of his blindness is an emotional and tender scene as we see Saul become Paul, the apostle. The Gospel Message is worth telling and those who choose to do so through a movie, should go all in on the best production values possible. I recommend this film but only after the viewer reads the true account in the New Testament book of Acts.
Adult Written byJennifer F. April 2, 2018

Wonderful movie: casting superb: too much graphic violence

My husband and I went to see this movie yesterday on Easter Sunday. It is beautifully done, superbly cast, and brings the story to life. We were both moved to tears in the final scene. It was a great movie, however, in my opinion, the amount of violent scenes is a bit over the top, especially for younger viewers. I understand the need to communicate the savagery of the Romans. Roman candles and Circus. That was educational, while difficult to watch. I think the repeated shots back to bloody hands, etc...got to be too much. You felt like you were a prisoner, which I can see would be an end-result for the movie makers. The occasional joke here and there were a welcome respite. I found myself cringing when I knew what was coming and hiding my eyes. That's why I really discourage parents from bringing younger children to the movie. It is important, yes, and beautifully acted and portrayed. It is just too graphic and could be the stuff of nightmares.

Adult Written byPrisma C. March 28, 2018

Great movie! Perfect for the Easter season.

This was a great movie. Touching, emotional, and suspenseful. I love the message "love conquers hate". I haven't read the Bible so I don't know how accurate it is, but from the people I've talked too it's close enough. If you are a religious person or if you're a person who likes history, then this world be a good movie to see (unlike the dumbrass at rotten tomatoes or the critic who rated on here who see anything that have to do religion so they must give a bad rating).

Parent of a 1, 6, 9, 10, 16, and 16 year old Written byNaomi F. April 4, 2018

A Great Tale From Early Christianity Era

I went with a couple old pals of mine to see this. I really loved it. It is a very moving film (had several people in tears), but had some violence. It's a good film for teenagers+

Adult Written byJim H. March 31, 2018

Impacting but Disjointed, plus artistic license

The positive: Some major impacting words of Apostle Paul were highlighted like "To live is Christ, to die is gain" that was easy to say as Paul portrayer Faulkner said them. For we of deeper faith, it was easy to disagree with the younger frustrated who fought Nero's horrendous oppression with their swords. Didn't our Christ warn Peter to put away his sword? The producers did well in projecting Luke healing the daughter of a Roman official instead. This 'Turn the other cheek' (artistic license) of sacrificial Luke effort probably averted the burning as candles MANY Christians and should teach a better example. The negative: Use of artistic license that seems today politically correct. I fell asleep for a few during one such scene but my wife poked me when a true biblical event was depicted. It was a late second movie, a digesting tub of popcorn and I was still emotional from incredible 'I Can Only Imagine' that we also bought movie tickets for. While entertaining, the gentle coarse needling between Apostle Paul and Luke in the dungeon destroys the depth of love and sacrifice the movie seems attempting to project and the very essence of all that sustains my value for Christ's visit here. I gently admonished a young pastor recently for this needling of the Acts' John Mark during his sermon.

Adult Written byWendy N. March 28, 2018

Beautiful movie about Christianity.

Parent Written byKassie F. April 2, 2018

Loved it!

Thought this movie was outstanding and so glad to see it on the big screen! There needs to be more movies like this playing at the theater. It is something to see wit your family and O took my 13 year old daughter.

Adult Written byPATRICK H. March 24, 2018

i love the movie

it is great movie and entertaining

Adult Written byTimothy T. April 8, 2018

Would We Walk that Path?

This film will be helpful for a young person to hold in their heart and help guide them through the challenges of adolescence and beyond. This film helps get at what it truly is to be Christian. I would have benefited much as a young person -- and indeed will as an adult --from seeing the stories of the Bible played in the rich context of reality; Paul, the Apostle of Christ provides an historical and moving account of some events the faithful have long been trying to imagine and makes sense of. Writer and director Andrew Hyatt provides families a thoughtful and meaningful window into the experiences of the young and fragile Christian community in Nero's Rome. There is particular focus on Paul's reflections in his final days, Luke's accounting of Paul's acts as dictated from Paul's prison cell, and the difficult decisions faced by the community in Rome. There is a good deal of violence. However, the violence is portrayed in ways that are important for the viewer to understand the experiences of Paul and the other disciples in Rome. Indeed, Paul's life was a very violent one, both by him and toward him. This film powerfully exudes truth and challenges the viewer. The film serves well to provide viewers, young and old, an opportunity to reflect on what it means to be a Christian and whether one is living in a way that speaks to Christ's example and words. One is provided a helpful view into how early Christians in Rome likely navigated the hopes and fears they understandably experienced, especially under Nero. While life in Western societies typically do not bring about the same fear of physical threat, we ought to reexamine whether we would stand by our faith in such a climate of evil and death.

Parent of a 11, 18+, and 18+ year old Written bymfaye April 6, 2018

Well Done

We went with a group from seniors to my 11 year old and everyone agreed the movie was well done. We were concerned it might be too violent for the youngest but only 2 times did he close his eyes- the camera didn't sit on violent scenes. Sometimes movies like this are overly-dramatic; for this film we found the acting to be really good. The flashback scenes were a little confusing for some in the group but everyone really enjoyed the film and would want to see it again.
Adult Written byThat Dude There June 22, 2018

Very crafty writing...a movie without God.

This movie is almost anti-Christian. The reason I say this is the Christians in this movie are almost cult like in there teaching and in their ways. There is no Holy Spirit or walk with God, but only head knowledge of "love love love". It was like they were unsaved "christians" that are filling churches today. They have no idea what the power of God is. This movie only appeals to that crowd, affirming their lack of faith. The movie also makes sure to let the audience know that prayer doesn't work, and God doesn't protect. They sent a boy out on a mission full of faith that God would protect, only to have him killed. Sure the persecution happened, but we do not shiver in fear with no hope. "The Holy Spirit shall lead you to all truth." Yet they had to force feed "just love" teaching. This is a modern teaching that is very crafty. Yes Jesus is love but he taught hard truth. He blasted the pharisees for being hypocrites and their teaching keeps people from salvation, over and over for the entire chapter. (matthew 23) Paul of the bible was also bold in teaching and correcting. Now on to the writing of the book of Acts. In the movie it was Luke's idea for Paul to encourage the church with a letter. Paul would randomly say a classic verse throughout the movie, which the average non discerning Christian will eat up. But it comes off like man made one liners. The way the "story" was told to Luke was not even word for word from the bible. Then at the end Luke heard Paul say something great, and he said "I now have an ending!" Like an author that had writers block. This gives the message that the bible is man made and manipulated. "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..." 2 Timothy 3:16 I will say God did have a cameo appearance at the conversion of Saul on the road to Damascus. Other than that there was no God in this movie. Like another reviewer pointed out, the one chance to let Paul heal the dying daughter of the jailer, and Paul offers the skills of Luke "the best surgeon in Rome." There is power in salvation and in the life of the true believer. I'm afraid that if this movie doesn't turn people away from Jesus, that it will keep the lost "christian" in his deception. I know from experience from praying multiple times as a child for salvation. I never knew God or his power. I even thought to myself in high school "if Jesus were Lord, wouldn't you feel God?" So many today teach "it's not like that for everyone, it's not about feeeeelings". Really? So you can't feel fruit of the Spirit? The Holy presence, peace love for strangers, patience, conviction unlike ever before salvation? If salvation for you didn't bring you to shame and tears in the Holy presence of God...only to be filled with peace and holiness after crying out for forgiveness? Does God bring peace in an instance when they are down? Do they lose that peace and holy desires, and are filled with flesh when they sin? And also get that peace back in an instance when asking for forgiveness? " For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance"