Parent reviews for Pele: Birth of a Legend

Pele: Birth of a Legend Poster Image

Great Movie even for non-soccer fans

My kids all love this movie, even the non-sports oriented ones. It has the death of a childhood friend, not overly wrought but good to be aware of if your child is particularly sensitive to that, but it is meaningful to the plot and I think tastefully portrayed. Overall message is one of accepting who you are and where you come from, even being proud of it, no matter what other people think or how they treat you. I think it is helpful for kids to see that even a legend like Pele struggled with that!

Brilliantly moving movie

This movie is great! My husband and I watched this with our 11 year old, who plays football. It was a very inspiring movie and a must see for all 1st world children....

AMAZING MOVIE!!

This movie is awesome. Common Sense Media should seriously consider getting another "expert" reviewer to review the movie Pele. Im not sure why this fantastic movie is rated so poorly but thats such a disservice to a wonderful message about perseverance, believing in yourself and overcoming discrimination. Im not even a soccor fan but Im seriously questioning how much I should trust your other ratings. I am thrilled I watched this with my 9 year old daughter, great story, great lessons.

I didn't expect it to be that....

i didn't expect it to be that good, i wasn't captured by the visual they gave it on netflix so I was really surprised that i would be crying through the movie. My 24 year old son and my husband joined me to watch it and enjoyed it immensely. I'm currently studying and have been looking at Kotahitanga and whanaungatanga in New Zealand and i see a lot of parallel similarities. Creating oneness with who we are as a people and not being afraid to express our culture through what we do. Pele is the MAN!

Trully, I can't understand why many movies' critics are so hard on this film! Probably they NEVER PLAYED football ("soccer"...? Pff). I played semi-pro (goalie) as my dad & my grandad. I know what I saw; a good footballers' film. Obviously, as a film, is "too much" (above realistic), as it should be - it's not documentary. But it shows perfectly the "Ginga" style, that 'Pele' brought back to Brazil (after two disasters in World Cups 1950-54, the Brazilians thought they should "adopt" the European way of play - obviously wrong!)... After you watch the film, make a short search in YouTube. You'll find THE EXACT REAL matches of this 1958 Cup and you'll see the real 'Pele' doing EXACTLY these "magics"!... They say, "the camera focusing too close to bodies"... So??? The camera "placing you" (audiance) to the boots of 'Pele' mate or opponent, so the camera frame SHOULD BE CLOSE, as close as they were towards him, back then!... Anyways, bottom line: its a PERFECT footballing film, superb inspirations for young lads!

A great soccer film

For kids and parents interested in soccer, this is a 5-star movie. The story is a powerful one about not being ashamed of who you are and where you come from, to not let insults and prejudice keep you down. Pele's real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, but Pele (in the movie) is the insulting name placed upon him that he turned into a badge of honor. One of the themes of the story is about taking pride in Brazil's unique form of soccer play (ginga). Pele is repeatedly expected to play in a civilized manner (read: a white European style of play), when his expertise and brilliance is clearly found in his roots. I appreciated the film underscoring that Pele's parents sacrificed to make his career possible (positive parental depictions), and showed how much their son's success meant to them. In the final game, they also strongly emphasized how the soccer team worked together, that Pele's win was the team's win. Elements of parental concern include a group of kids stealing bags of peanuts (to sell, to afford soccer shoes), and stealing laundry to make a soccer ball out of rolled-up clothing (because Pele and his friends live in extreme poverty). The peanut situation concludes in a friend's accidental death, which is given an appropriate amount of on-screen grief and soul searching. I'd peg it appropriate for a 10-year-old, or a bright 8-year-old... mostly for the requisite maturity to understand the complex storytelling.

Pele scores a GOAL for a family movie night

We watched this as a family with our two boys 8 and 10 who play travel soccer. It had great messages- never give up, be yourself, embrace your differences and overcome adversity. My boys were shocked at how impoverished Pele was and how difficult his life was in Brazil. They really enjoyed all of the soccer scenes too. As parents we it tugged at our heart strings as well. They say damn/hell once that I noticed . A young child dies in a tragic accident inbthe movie but they do not dwel on it- I think it was handled well. Overall a great family movie for sports , especially soccer, fans !!