All parent member reviews for Penelope

Parent of a 5, 6, and 9 year old Written bymama p December 17, 2010

Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written bywillowfaierie July 5, 2009

The movie teaches kids to believe in theirselves.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Parent Written byManon10 July 21, 2012

Some language/ innuendo problems

If you want to watch this with your family, be advised: there is mild language (d**n, s**t). the one-eyed guy flips the bird, and at the very beginning, our kids were trying to figure out how a Wilhelm couple could have a baby that was really a Jones. I don't think this is really for younger kids at all. My 16yo didn't appreciate the language either, which seemed out of place in an otherwise cutesy show. I don't think the director exactly knew who his/her target audience was; this was part "Mirror, Mirror"and part "Fools Rush In". We mostly enjoyed it, but sometimes we were just hanging on to see how the story ended.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymotheroftwins2 March 5, 2009

Twisted dark fairytale- horror-"lite" for tweens and up

In the first 10 minutes alone, the mother is horrified and embarrassed about her daughter looks, fakes her daughter's death to get the news cameras away and then they show the casket entering the creamatorium, flames and all. It only gets worse from there. I would say 12 and up. Adult themes and definately not a disney movie. Yes, it revolves around the "love yourself" theme, but at one point she states that if the curse isn't broken she'll kill herself. YES, she actually says that. My daughter asked me what that meant. I was horrified. What turns her "normal" again is a nice touch, but it has too much of a "Tim Burton film feel" as one of the other reviewers stated. If you won't allow your child to see corpse bride or nightmare before Christmas, or even coaraline (not by Burton but close enough), I'd skip this one too. At least this one wasn't marketed to the very young. Christina Ricci was excellent in this role. And Catherine O'Hara is charmingly repulsive as the mother. The scene in the car is a touch scary as another reviewer stated (it happens when the 2 bad guys are sitting in their car- if you watch it, look out at that point for a horribly disfigured version of Penelope) but throughout the entire movie I kept saying to my family "does she really look that bad to you?" as people ran away from her screaming. Ricci is too adorable, and even a pig nose can't hide that. We also discussed the fact that she shouldn't want to marry a guy that doesn't like her for who she really is.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010

Adult Written byconversee April 9, 2008

Loved it :)

Kids movies were in short supply today so my 7 year old and I checked out Penelope. We both loved it! It was a great opener for a constructive discussion between my daughter and I about what is really important about people and that liking yourself as you are is the best gift you can give yourself. I do think they could have left out the scene where Penelope finds out about beer on tap, however mild they made it to be. The rating is showing appropriate for ages 10 and up, but I felt that the issues were very relevent for younger kids. You just have to know your child's maturity level. If you feel that he/she can see that people are in error in treating someone who is phyisically different badly and understand the resolution of self acceptance at the end of the film, then by all means see it with your child.
Adult Written bycloveroy April 9, 2008

Great message for teens.

The theme and its messages are not new if you're familiar with The Ugly Duckling (it's who you are on the INSIDE that counts) or The Wizard of OZ ("what I was looking for was right here in my own backyard all along.") But they are messages worth a fresh approach and this film does the trick with it's good acting by current stars and an entertaining fable-esque storyline. Christine Ricci and James McAvoy are perfect as the snouted girl and the snout-blind guy. Take the kids and talk about it after.
Adult Written byeckey03 June 9, 2012

Penelope

This is an awesome movie--great moral values (love yourself the way you are, etc.) it faces several issues which are prevalent in our society today such as vanity and selfishness, however, I would say it is intended for an older youth audience despite following many fairy tale conventions. Crude language is used and hand gestures (Peter Dinklage--hillarious!). All in all, a terrific movie, but generally not meant for childrens' eyes.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

The Perfect Pre-Teen Girl Power Movie

My 13 year-old saw this movie when she was 11 and it was the perfect pre-teen film for her to see. I found it just when I'd given up hope of finding an appropriate movie for her age. I'd been lamenting that there was nothing between little kid movies and inappropriate PG-13 films for her to see. Penelope is the perfect answer to this dilemma! Enjoy!
Adult Written bywonder dove April 15, 2009

Charming and heartfelt!

What a totally cute flick this was! It's got an original storyline and it definitely keeps you watching. The "scary" parts in this film I think are meant to be comedy, that's why I think it should have been rated PG-13. Young kids don't know what is comedy and what isn't, in these types of movies. I absolutely adored Penelope (Christina Ricci is awesome), and even with her pig nose, she is beautiful! Good messages throughout - It doesn't matter what you look like, there is ALWAYS someone out there who will love you for YOU. Be yourself, nothing more.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylec51099 January 10, 2009

Good message-- a bit dark for young kids

My 9 yrd old daughter and I had high hopes for this movie. The message is wonderful, but one that is defenitly meant for older kids. Suprisingly, there are many "drinking and smoking" scenes...Also, the mother's inability to accept her daughter's choices might be a difficult idea for young children to grasp. At one point in the movie, a character has a flashback of his impression of Penelope that is just frightening. While an adult might understand the point being made, a child might not. I am a strong believer that movie ratings have to be re-designed, just as tv shows have done. This is an example of amovie that needs a stronger rating....while the themes of the movie, (finding your self/accepting ones circumstances but have enough self confidence) are very important to all girls these days, I am not sure that such drinking scenes were at all necessary to make the point. The movie's "look" was pretty dark, I wondered for a moment if Burton had directed...
Adult Written bymom2ebs January 9, 2009

Warning

I had such high hopes for this movie. It looked so sweet in the trailors and looked to have a good message. I can not give a full review as my 8 year old daughter and I did not make it very far. She was so scared by a couple of scenes that we had to turn the movie off. I have to admit she is a bit more timid than some other kids might be. However, due to the dark 'feeling' of the movie, the witch at the beginning and the very, very startling scene where one of the characters imagines a horrifying version of penelope that very suddenly appears in the window of a car, we simply couldn't continue. She was in tears for quite a while. I have NO IDEA why that scene was necessary. I also feel that the trailors were very misleading.
Adult Written byladytoria1953 April 9, 2008

Learning to like your self

This is the perfect movie to teach self esteem. Parents should teach their children about not judging people by the way they look. That it is important to look for the goodness in one heart. To accept ones self based on his or her abilities and not what some one else expects from them. Penelope is about a grown woman with a pure heart and she learns to love the person she is.
Adult Written bythemamabear April 9, 2008

Be aware

We really enjoyed this movie except for one part. When one of the main characters (Simon Woods) is remembering what Penelope looked like he has a "flashback". In the window of the van, he "sees" her and in his imagination, she has fangs and the scene is very startling. My 7 year old enjoyed the movie except for that one part. I was disappointed that had to be included. The movie would have been great without it.