Parent reviews for Penelope

Penelope Poster Image

Great for teens and up

Great message about loving yourself regardless of appearances. Funny and cute. No serious language.

Really Enjoyed This Movie!

I think this movie is perfect for tweens and maybe a little younger! While the movie had a few bad words and some innuendos, I think it is okay for tweens to start being exposed to these things a little bit while still keeping the majority of the content appropriate. (they really are the tiniest bits in the movie) There are some reviews for this movie I was reading and I think they are overreacting quite a bit. It is really well made and I love how unique it is! I was actually really glad I found it because it really is the perfect balance for my pre-teens. Would highly recommend it to anyone!

Some language/ innuendo problems

If you want to watch this with your family, be advised: there is mild language (d**n, s**t). the one-eyed guy flips the bird, and at the very beginning, our kids were trying to figure out how a Wilhelm couple could have a baby that was really a Jones. I don't think this is really for younger kids at all. My 16yo didn't appreciate the language either, which seemed out of place in an otherwise cutesy show. I don't think the director exactly knew who his/her target audience was; this was part "Mirror, Mirror"and part "Fools Rush In". We mostly enjoyed it, but sometimes we were just hanging on to see how the story ended.

Penelope

This is an awesome movie--great moral values (love yourself the way you are, etc.) it faces several issues which are prevalent in our society today such as vanity and selfishness, however, I would say it is intended for an older youth audience despite following many fairy tale conventions. Crude language is used and hand gestures (Peter Dinklage--hillarious!). All in all, a terrific movie, but generally not meant for childrens' eyes.

The Perfect Pre-Teen Girl Power Movie

My 13 year-old saw this movie when she was 11 and it was the perfect pre-teen film for her to see. I found it just when I'd given up hope of finding an appropriate movie for her age. I'd been lamenting that there was nothing between little kid movies and inappropriate PG-13 films for her to see. Penelope is the perfect answer to this dilemma! Enjoy!

The movie teaches kids to believe in theirselves.

Charming and heartfelt!

What a totally cute flick this was! It's got an original storyline and it definitely keeps you watching. The "scary" parts in this film I think are meant to be comedy, that's why I think it should have been rated PG-13. Young kids don't know what is comedy and what isn't, in these types of movies. I absolutely adored Penelope (Christina Ricci is awesome), and even with her pig nose, she is beautiful! Good messages throughout - It doesn't matter what you look like, there is ALWAYS someone out there who will love you for YOU. Be yourself, nothing more.