Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Too scary for younger fans of the popular books.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMom of 3 munchkins March 14, 2010

Fine for older kids, but not for those under 13.

This movie definitely should have been rated PG-13! I took my 12 1/2 year old nephew to see it, as he has read all of the books in the Percy Jackson series. Not only did he agree that it should have been a PG-13 movie (and he has seen all of the Harry Potter movies), but he also did not think it was nearly as good as the book. He thought the special effects were very cool. My 10 year old son just finished reading the book, but I will NOT be taking him to see this movie. Its portrayal of women was offensive (most of the women are portrayed as sex symbols) and the scene at the casino in Vegas was entirely inappropriate for children 12 and under.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byjimsaaa February 13, 2010
As a mother of a 10-year-old boy (huge fan of the series) and an elementray school Librarian (Have many fans... could hardly keep the books on the shelves!), this movie was a huge disaster! What a shame to have amazing material to work with and turn out such a lack-luster movie. The movie could stand alone from Rick Riordan's books - as the only commonality was the characters names. I sure hope that Mr. Riordan was paid well for the rights... because his hard work was definitely not rewarded by this movie.
I strongly recommend reading the books and skipping this movie - or waiting until someone in Hollywood gets the message and makes a new movie actually based on the book!

Parent Written bysmit_k75 February 13, 2010

Perfect for 8 +-year-olds who are savvy of the fantasy film genre

As huge fans of the series (we've read them all!), our family went to the film opening yesterday. Our 8-year-old was really excited to see how book would be translated, and he was disappointed that some of his favorite scenes and aspects of the story had been changed; such as the decision to change the 5 days of gaming in the Lotus Club arcade to 5 days of debauchery that was shown in the movie (which was funny, but perhaps intended for a PG audience?). He was also disappointed that Grover's character had been altered significantly form the book series (in the series, he's a lovable, at times, awkward, satyr. he's not the smooth ladies-man-satyr shown in the film ... who is, a likable character, but intended for an older audience.)

I gave it 4 stars because it is a very good film, but it's not really much like the book, which is excellent!

Parent of a 10 and 16 year old Written byWife-mother-law... July 16, 2016

This movie is not for kids under 10

I am going to repeat that. This movie is not for children under 10. Though we watched it and enjoyed it with our 10 year old it is arguably "iffy" for the 10-12 set.
Parental Guidance Suggested – some material may not be suitable for children. Yup.
Adult Written bytrevork February 20, 2016

Will disappoint people who have read the books

I have read the books and it is terrible. Nothing is like the book in this movie. Do not watch. I repeat do not watch.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg December 24, 2012

Dissapointing

I was eleven when I watched this because my parents would not let me watch it till it was an ON on common snese. I am a HUGE percy jackson fan and have read all the books and I was really looking forward to the movie. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed because the movie was nothing like the books. 1 Annabeth has BLOND hair and the actress was terrible. 2 the movie did not resemble the book the slightest bit!! The whole story set was completly different. 3 the 'gods' really looked tacky -_- Their second movie is coming out soon and I hope that 1 They decide to follow the story 2 ditch the actress for annabeth and get a new one and Im excited to see how the next one turns out. So to sum it all up i say that you,should be able to watch the movie when your 10 because thats when I became old enough to read the books and I would not want you to wait till your 11. The movie isnt good... But there isnt anything bad either. Except maybe violence.. But of course that would make it seem like barney next to the hunger games... Well.. Happy watching! (:
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bySpiderwebber August 31, 2010

Good movie for tweens and up if you like Fantasy.

We watched this as a family, and our 5 yr old was frightened of the mythical monsters...the fury & the medusa's head especially. Our 8 yr old was nervous, but was able to handle the movie much better. He thought it was more violent than Star Wars, and they've seen all but the third episode (the one where Anakin becomes Darth Vader). I enjoyed the movie, but then I've always been a fan of Fantasy movies and mythical creatures. It was probably a poor choice to watch with the kids without previewing it first.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byjavl March 16, 2010

Way too scary for preteens. Should be rated PG13

It is outrageous that this is rated PG. It should be PG-13. It is geared more to teenagers, not to the age of children who are most likely to be reading the book. It scared the daylights out of my 8-year-old--he still won't go upstairs or downstairs alone since he's seen it. The Medusa and Hades scenes are just too much for children under 13.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byjnichols621 March 14, 2010

PG? no way.

I really regret not checking Common Semse Media prior to our first movie outing in months. huge mistake & we had to leave after one hour as it was just TOO MUCH for our almost seven-year-old to be exposed to, despite a PG rating. a rating has never been so meaningless to me before this film. What a waste of $31.50 (plus popcorn).

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byrichard.kick February 26, 2010
My eight year old asked to be taken to the lobby while my 11/12 year old stayed and loved it. The creatures are too realistic and creepy/violent for the younger crowd.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byCamp Half Blood Mom February 15, 2010

Sadly inappropriate for kids

This movie was a stunning disappointment because it hijacked a children's story and twisted it into something, not only unrecognizable, but age inappropriate for the books intended audience. One scene depicts Grover surrounded by a group of scantily clad, obviously much older women who are vying for his attention. Persephone is depicted as a sexual toy for Hades who is wanting to seduce Grover.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bypoorhaus February 12, 2010
My 11 year old son and I LOVED the books and were so excited when we heard a movie was being made. We made it a special event to attend the midnight opening and waited in line to get our seats. We were so disappointed that the movie WAS NOTHING like the book!
Too fast-paced in the beginnning, there was little time for character development. The kids were too old, key characters were left out, and the storyline was far off from Rick Riordan's witty, entertaining adventure.
Intense monsters, mild language, and sexual innuendos make this a no-go for my 8 year old daughter who so desperately wants to see it.
It's too bad they didn't stick to Riordans original story. 'That would have been a huge success.
Those who have not read the series may enjoy the action-adventure and be entertained by the cg effects, but fans of the Percy Jackson series will be left feeling ripped-off and disheartened.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bySorace June 28, 2019

Way to far out for just Percy Jackson!

I had just started the Percy Jackson series and I was loving it! So I gave the movie a shot ignoring all the terrible reviews. It was poorly made and had many not age appropriate scenes. That movie was a mistake I'll never make again. Sorry, 10 year olds.

Adult Written byMr Krabs April 23, 2019

Disappointing

The Movie is not like the book first Percy should even be living with his mom and thats the main part of the story and Grover in the book was Never Ever black (not trying to be racist) and Grover is a shy person in the book but instead they made into a women's man and the main reason why Hades was so threatening was that persephone wasnt there to calm down Hades but there she is kissing Hades and they dont even have Ares the only way that they got to the underground is because Ares let them on to a truck that wasn't even his and in the book at the end when percy gets poisoned they didnt include that overall the movie is a disgrace to the series and i feel bad for Rick Riordan and his series.

Adult Written bySimon_Cowell March 21, 2019

Bloody Horrible... Wouldn't Send My Worst Enemy to Watch It

THERE WAS NOTHING EVEN REMOTELY SIMILAR TO THE BOOK IN THERE!! The characters were supposed to be 12, not 17. Also, it took Percy a couple of chapters to find out that he was the son of Posiden and it was a really big deal. Annabeth is BLONDE! Also, Percy and Annabeth were on the same team for capture the flag. The movie completely ruined Percy, Annabeth, and Grover's characters. Percy was a sarcastic but still nice kid. He was always cracking jokes and wasn't nearly as mature as the Percy in the movie. Annabeth was a smart and good leader. In the movies, she introduces herself to Percy saying she's never lost a battle before, and that she's been going to this camp since she was a child and then Percy (who has no training at all) beats her in a battle right after she says this???? How??? They also took away her baseball cap, and made her a useless character when she wasn't at all useless in the books. On to Grover.... In the books he was a shy, nervous saytr. In the movies, he's a ladies man which is just.... no..... I loved the books so much and I despise these movies with a deep passion. The plot wasn't even the same. In the book they were trying to find the door to the Underworld and they collected the pearls along the way. In the movie they were looking for the pearls as there quest. Also, in the movie they just snuck out of the camp, while in the book Percy, Annabeth, and Grover were given a quest. I think that's enough...

Parent of a 9 year old Written byVeronica V. February 17, 2019

Don't watch the DVD extras!

My 10 and 7 year old daughters love the Percy Jackson books and were so excited to see our library had the movie available. They've seen the first couple of Harry Potter movies so we thought they would be ok with the monsters, which they were, but I was not ok with the sexual innuendo and objectification of women in the movie, scantilly clad women, men (especially Grover) staring at their chests, and so on. Oh, and swearing and getting high that definitely was not present in the book! I was relieved when we finished the movie (which, by the way, is almost nothing like the book. I don't think the screen writers even read the book!) and then we watched the extras on the DVD. Big mistake! One scene has Grover taking a ton of pictures of a topless Aphrodite statue while making comments about implants. Another has Hades talking about his inability to fulfill his desires with his wife. If I could go back in time, I never would have rented the movie. Two hours and a chunk of my children's innocence that I'll never get back. Definitely stick to reading the books.

Adult Written byAqua_girl February 11, 2019

It was so incorrect!

ohmygosh! i hated it! it was annoying to watch it, because i used to love the series as a kid and it is so different and incorrect. i started to watch it, but i paused it every 5 minutes to exclaim what is wrong with the last five seconds. i ended up stopping like a quarter of a way through, it was that bad. if it said "slightly somehow kind of based on a book" instead of "based off of a book", i might be able to let it go, but...
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byAdriana R. June 10, 2018

Differs from book, but still fun to watch

As usual the movie difference from the book. If you just tell your kids that this movie is looksely based on the book they’ll enjoy it. Keeping that in mind, it is still fun to see your characters come to life. The scene with Medusa’s head - they do take the head with them but there is no blood, but definitely not in the book. The Las Vegas scene where they are eating the flowers, will go over most young kids heads and they won’t think drugs. I just think it was the directors way of merging two scenes from the book into one. (From Medusa’s garden when they were fed food that made them droopy).
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySofia B. February 11, 2018

huge mistake!!dont watch

Horrible. The kids read the entire series, spending 3 hours reading and fighting over a book. So when they found out there was a movie, they were excited. They watched it, complaining the entire time. Nothing like the books, the oldest heard that they changed the ages to make it for older ages instead of the ages of the "fandom". To inappropriate especially since it is for younger children. My oldest, 12, ended up covering my youngest's, 9, ears and eyes in the Lotus Casino scene, as it had some interesting version of Grover. When it finished, they made a list of everything that was wrong and horrible and one of the good/related to the book moments. I would only watch it if I were older and did not read the series. Disappointing movie. Never watching it again.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 26, 2017

Great!

My daughter is at the second book and loves it!