All parent member reviews for Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Parent Written bykckacy August 8, 2013

Safe, action packed, family movie!

I loved this movie. It is fun, thrilling and a fantastic family, action packed movie. I love Greek Mythology and the director did a great job. Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters helps bring Greek Mythology alive and interesting for young people. I loved the soundtrack and especially the song "To Feel Alive" during the credits. I give this 5 stars for a wonderful, family movie.
Adult Written bykonosisxav October 20, 2014

TERIBLE MOVIE

This movie did not get anything about the book right.it even told percy the prophecy, whitch does not happen until later in the seires. In the book kronos never rises. They even get the crucial number in the ENTIRE SERIES WRONG. THEY SAY 20, IT IS 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And (spoilers for book) they never get into circle's island which is SUPER important in the heros of olympus series. Dont even bother watching if you have read the books. If don't read the books its not bad, but i am very disappointed. this movie is not at all worthy. If i were Rick Riordan I would hate the movie directors for messing up an unbelievable book. Moderate violence but noting up-close or grapic. Tyson does (moive spoiler) get shoot by an arrow that was meant for percy and falls at lest 50 feet. only a splash can be seen from above. later he comes back and helps win.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bypoorhaus August 8, 2013

Entertaining

While I agree that the Percy Jackson movies simply do not compare to the books, the film itself is entertaining. If you go to enjoy an action/adventure, you won't be disappointed. However, if you watch it with Riordan's book fresh in your mind, you might not like what you see. You can expect plenty of battle scenes and hear some lines that really make you chuckle. Younger viewers my be frightened by the bull, oracle, three sisters with one eye, Cyclops, Talia's tree, Luke's "guard dog", zombies, and Kronos. Overall, it is great to have the messages of teamwork, friendship, and brotherly love remind us that good triumphs in the end.
Parent Written byhatersgonnahate September 9, 2013

Not like the books

You should read books before watching the movies. Its a little different from the books. It has some cuss words. But over all its a good movie and you should watch it. PS. ENJOY IT!
Adult Written bycourtwork August 25, 2013

A true PG movie you can enjoy with your tweens

It seems that for people who've read the books, the movies are disappointing. I've not read the books, and I find this movie really fun and entertaining. I much prefer it to "Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief," which is dull and one dimensional, in my opinion. In this movie, Logan Lerman does a great job with the character of Percy Jackson. He seems younger than in the first movie, registering true emotion, conveying integrity, depth, and strength mixed with vulnerability and self doubt. In the first movie, his character is flat, mostly concerned with looking cool and sexy. Annabeth is also softer in this film, but seems about the same age. Grover is no longer a ladies' man, which is refreshing. The plot is way better in this film. There are exciting twists and turns. The special effects are wonderful, and best of all, from a parental point of view, it is truly a PG film. It is the perfect film for 10 year old boys. There is just the right amount of excitement and adventure, with battles, suspense, and cool villains. I appreciate even more what is omitted from the film: over the top violence, sexualized characters, excessive jolts per minute, foul language, and characters who are glorified jerks. It is so refreshing to sit in the theater with my ten year old son and really enjoy a movie together. There has been a dearth of films that are both appealing to and appropriate for this "tween" age. In my opinion, "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" hits that sweet spot of exciting enough without being gratuitous, that is perfect for this age and beyond. Two thumbs up.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymisty_molly August 9, 2013

10-year olds love this. I didn't.

Let me start by saying those taboo words no one wants to hear: we haven't read the book. Ack! That's very out of character for us but I'm stating that first because my review is not based on how well the storyline relates to the book. We saw this 2 days after it opened because my daughter asked to go and although I haven't read any of the books, I was familiar with the premise. It seemed like it could possibly (probably?) have a bit of an educational aspect to it and is rated PG so we went. I was shocked. This is a very fast moving, violent film that I would hope is right at the edge of being rated PG-13. During the intense scenes, I kept an eye on my daughter to see if she was okay with it. She loved it. I couldn't believe how much she loved it. I thought it was fine but this movie wasn't made for me. It was made for kids and tweens. My kiddo was really into the good vs. evil fighting scenes. Fortunately, comedic relief scenes are scattered throughout. There are essentially 3 sub-plots: believe in yourself, don’t be a selfish show-off, and being prejudice hurts people. Of course, good prevails.
Parent Written bytarmale August 8, 2013

Disappointing sequel

I took my eight year old to see this today. We were so excited for another "Percy Jackson" movie as we loved the first one. We were disappointed in this one however. I never read the books but it just seemed like the movie was all over the place and there wasn't a story to follow. Too many special effects and Pierce Brosnan did not reprise his role of Chiron and I was really looking forward to seeing him.
Adult Written byAmyEvans February 14, 2014

PJO review

Awesome! I've just received my free minecraft giftcode! >> minecraftnow.us << sorry ignore that, just testing something. It's ok just not like the book. Better than the first one though. It's a great movie if you don't mind the book.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byfastraxsg September 1, 2013

no bad words, no kissing (:

much better than the first movie. no bad words and sexuality related stuff. I was suprisely entertained. this movie followed the book more than the first but still made some unfortunate changes that did not stick to the book.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Pause, Know Your Child For This.

The Movie "rango" had more language then this! this movie made my two 10 year old's jump a couple of times, overall they liked it, i thought it was confusing with gods and that. this is all involving teens mostly and the monsters made me freak out and some of the language was bad to. only D**M was a concern. the family movie rango had more language then this!
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen August 24, 2013

Percy Jackson 2: Sea of Monsters is an exciting movie I ever have!

I like to see the movie before? It was an awesome movie!